reprap

.500 or below .500

Will the Tigers be above .500 at end of season?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tigers be above .500 at end of season?

• above .500
    • below .500

I predicted they will finish below .500. Their hitting will improve while their pitching declines. I think they'll win about 77 games. I also think the losses of Urbina and Percival will hurt more than people think.

If they stay healthy, they have a shot to end up a few games over.

That said, while a .500 or slighty better season might be good for our collective psyche, I really think it's an overrated milestone.

Originally posted by bleacherguy

That said, while a .500 or slighty better season might be good for our collective psyche, I really think it's an overrated milestone.

I agree. I think unless they are truly contenders they should try to trade off players like Johnson and White for prospects.

Heck if Farnsworth comes in and blows people away as a closer he might be worth a ton on the market.... Just a thought I know some people will blast me for even suggesting it.

Originally posted by estrepe1

I agree. I think unless they are truly contenders they should try to trade off players like Johnson and White for prospects.

Heck if Farnsworth comes in and blows people away as a closer he might be worth a ton on the market.... Just a thought I know some people will blast me for even suggesting it.

I understand what you're saying but if they ever traded Farnsworth they might as well move to Montreal because that move would show the Tigers aren't serious about winning. No Farnsworth and you would depend on a washed up Percival, an inconsistent Rodney, an average German, Spurling throw in Walker, Creek, Dingman and that bullpen has the makings of a gong show.

Originally posted by TigersMeow79

I understand what you're saying but if they ever traded Farnsworth they might as well move to Montreal because that move would show the Tigers aren't serious about winning. No Farnsworth and you would depend on a washed up Percival, an inconsistent Rodney, an average German, Spurling throw in Walker, Creek, Dingman and that bullpen has the makings of a gong show.

What are they going to win with Farnsworth there this season?

I completely understand your point though and I am not talking about trading him for just anything. However if they get a good offer that can help them in a hurry, I don't think they should think twice.

I guess they can keep him and offer him arbitration if they can't get him signed.

I know it won't be a popular opinion or very likely... I just like to maximize the trade value of relievers or any other player. If I don't believe they will be around long term... which I don't believe Farnsworth will be.

Originally posted by bleacherguy

as "overrated" as that milestone may be, it's one we havent seen in 12 years.

I still think we could finish at, or slightly above, .500 but I am beginning to have my doubts. Especially after that disappointing 12-9 loss to KC.

I mean, by golly, WTF? KC kicks our ***? If we cant beat KC then we are in real trouble.

And that Zach kid had a era of 6 something, and a 1-11 record? And we cant beat him?

I dont know. I havent given up hope, but it sure is disappointing when we get so close, then go on a losing streak.

We seriously need a nice 10 game winning streak.:classic:

Magglio has a good arm but might not have a ton of range with his knee/hernia injury recovery.

I think he is a slightly below average defender.

=============================================

I've been watching him out in right & I agree. I'm surprised D.D settled for such an average fielder with that signing last winter. What pleases me most about Maggs is his batting power to right field & above average healing time/power from injuries.

At the end of March, I said 84-78 on two other forums. The team batting average needs to jump several points for that to happen in the 2nd half.

Below.

I orignally said 85 wins. They should have swept Tampa Bay. The Should win 3 of 4 against KC. They sre going to struggle to hold at 2 or so games below .500.

Factoring in injuries and the like ----- 78 wins.

Depends on what you'd want for Farnsworth. Its about who gets the better end of the deal for their purposes. We once traded this young pitching stud to the Yankees through the A's when we weren't going to win anything and I think we've clearly gotten the better end of that deal so far. You don't hear much anymore about how that deal crushed the Tigers, certainly not from those who pooh-poohed it then.

Personally, I think signing Farnsworth to a long-term deal now would be wise instead of playing the $$$ game this offseason with other clubs that would want him as a closer. But if we get better value by peddling him, than I'm fine with it.