reprap

.500 or below .500

Will the Tigers be above .500 at end of season?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tigers be above .500 at end of season?

• above .500
    • below .500

Well the first half of the season is done. Do you believe that the Tigers will be above .500 at the end of the season or not?

If they are not above .500 at the end of season look for many changes! But, not to fear, they will finish above .500. I am guessing about 84-85 wins.

They will be below .500 at the deadline which allows them to sell veteran players with contracts, yet still improve the team enough to finish the season above .500.:classic:

They had better be above .500, as I have a bet going with a buddy of mine as to who will have the better record at the end of the season, the Tigers or the Yankees. He gave me 2:1 odds on a $20 bet.

Go Tigers! Daddy wants free beer in October!

I'd love to see 86 wins. But I think 80 is more realistic. Maybe .500 should've been an option. That would be a great even money bet right there.

Let's see... With the addition of Magglio and a healthier Guillen, I see the Tigers finishing around 82-80. They'll have an alright second half but someone important is bound to go down or go into a big slump. Here's to the first over .500 season in quite a while and the hope that a big time starting pitcher and a BIG bat will land here next year.

The Tigers are a poor defensive team and until that issue is addressed they will not be a .500 ball club.

Originally posted by Buck

The Tigers are a poor defensive team and until that issue is addressed they will not be a .500 ball club.

The infield is excellent.

Inge is an above average defender.

Guillen is an above average defender.

Polanco is an above average defender.

Shelton is a below average defender but his work on the leather has been improving to the point where I'd call him average. I've seen some nice plays made by him so hopefully he keeps it up.

Pudge is the best defensive catcher.

Logan is a solid defender.

Monroe is a steady defender.

White is a steady defender minus a throwing arm.

I really don't know about Maggilo.

Originally posted by Ranger

I really don't know about Maggilo.

Magglio has a good arm but might not have a ton of range with his knee/hernia injury recovery.

I think he is a slightly below average defender.

They should finish above .500 but will they? The offense has to come around because I expect the pitching to fall off a little. If DY, Pudge and Guillen can get back on track, with the addition of Polanco and Ordonez , they sure have the potential. Going to be a long second half if they don't.

Well below, I fear. I think this team will lose 90 games. I hope I am wrong, but they have too many problems to do much better than that. We'll see

Just to elaborate further, I fear our pitching won't hold up during the second half like it did, during the first. And if our clutch hitting doesn't improve, it could be a rough finish.

I've never seen the wildcard finish below .500, so they'll have to finish above .500. You know you want to believe it, but just won't let yourself.

C'mon. Guillen and Ordonez are back. No more slumping Pena. A better bench than before. Continued success with the pitchers. An offense that finally kicks in. Only 6 GB, and half a season to go.

Originally posted by tater6

The offense has to come around because I expect the pitching to fall off a little. If DY, Pudge and Guillen can get back on track, with the addition of Polanco and Ordonez , they sure have the potential. Going to be a long second half if they don't.

I agree with you about everything except Guillen. He is having a good year and is not the problem. The lack of RBI is just bad luck. If he keeps hitting the way he is hitting, I guarantee he will get plenty of runs, RBI and assists.

Originally posted by Tramfan

Just to elaborate further, I fear our pitching won't hold up during the second half like it did, during the first. And if our clutch hitting doesn't improve, it could be a rough finish.

They need to improve their hitting a lot more than they need to improve their clutch hitting. There won't be a lot of opportunities for clutch hits if they remain near the bottom of the league in OBP.