DetroitFolly

Rodney to the Nuggets?

Guest E.J. Smith

I agree. Rodney was never going to crack the top 12. Joe knows what he's doing.

I like the fact that Dumars isn't afraid to trade his 1st rounders after one year if they clearly aren't working out. If he can squeeze a 1st rounder out of Denver for White then I'll be very happy with the deal. That would give us three 1st round picks in next year's draft, correct? (Ours, Denvers, and Memphis')

The first ropund draft pick is not actually Denvers - it would be much too high. The Nuggets are owed a couple of first rounders from other teams and we'd probably get the middle of their 3 picks, still around #15.

Don't right off Mengke Bateer as nothing more than cap filler. This guy might actually be the key to the deal. Along with Wang Zhi Zhi and Yao Ming, Bateer was part of Chin'a "walking great wlll" front court. 6'11" 290lbs and strong as they come, thanks to his Mongolian bloodlines. He'll turn 27 in late November and though he still needs to get acclaimated to the NBA game Bateer has the potential to start in the NBA and be a solid contributor. It is said he is a good to very good passer for his position and isn't afraid to fire up a three now and then. Some scouts go as far as saying Mr. Bateer iwould be the only player in the NBA that Shaq couldn't completely overpower.

I like Rod White, but the Pistons Brain Trust believe Tayshaun Prince is NBA ready today whereas Rod still needs some coddling and acclaimation with a lot of bench time.

The first ropund draft pick is not actually Denvers - it would be much too high. The Nuggets are owed a couple of first rounders from other teams and we'd probably get the middle of their 3 picks, still around #15.

That makes a lot more sense.

Interesting info about Mengke Bateer. The guy sounds intriguing.

i would much rather have don reid. he was my fav player when he was with detroit and he rocks. i sure hope we do get him, even if he does just sit on the bench. that dude hustles like theirs no tommorow. also, prince could get more minutes than i thought, but hubert davis will probably take his minutes.

predictions for rodney whites season:

Minutes/Game:18

PPG:8.8

RPG:3.5

APG:2.6

Turnovers/Game:1.98

FGP: 43%

FTP:76%

I like the deal. White is not going to play for this team anyway, and we are gonna get a three for one deal....this could definately be a steal. I like Don Reid, he will make a great back up power forward/center on this team. The chinese guy I know nothing about, but maybe he is a sleeper. The draft pick could be valuable because of a possible trade next offseason or because we will have possibly 3 picks...

Robinson

Wallace

Williamson

Hamilton

Billups

Rebraca

Reid

Okur

Barry

Atkins

Bateer

Prince

Curry

Davis

Very deep!

I didn't get from that Freep article or from my local newscast that it was both Reid and Bateer as some of you are a stating. Did I miss something. The tv news said we got the pick and Bateer period.

That said, I love the trade. I saw Bateer play on TNT toward the end of last season and was amazed by his size and strength. If he can move at all and has any skills this could be a steal. Big men are so hard to come by. He's odd looking, doesn't have characteristic Chinese features.

I love Joe D!!

man thats really disappointing i would rather have reid than bateer. i would of hoped that reid would have been traded so that i can see some of that hustle in a piston uniform

no official word yet on this deal which means it either will not happen or the details are still being ironed out

I had high hopes for White, but so faithful am I in Joe, I don't question the move. He said he would jump at a chance for another big guy, so it looks like he got his chance. I like the team he is putting together and he is setting himself up to have both money and draft picks for next year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0924/1435928.html

The source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the Pistons will receive 6-foot-11 Chinese center Menk Bateer and former Detroit forward Don Reid

According to this ESPN source I might be wrong and you may get your wish TwistedTiger. This makes no mention of the draft pick. A late 1st round pick isn't much better than Reid I guess. We will officially be big if this goes through.

Reid barely started when the only choice was he and Montross, Joe must see him off the bench as 3rd option in the hole.

DETROIT -- The Detroit Pistons will trade forward Rodney White to the Denver Nuggets for a first-round pick and two players, a basketball source said Tuesday

They talk about the pick in the sentence right above the one you quoted Mattingly.

I like the trade pretty well, because I don't think White is going to come close to living up to the hype. The little I did see of him last season, he seemed lost out there. Also, he played pretty lousy in the summer league games he played in, against mainly NBA scrubs and guys who are trying to make an NBA team. If he can't compete against those guys then he's probably not ready to compete against actual good NBA players.

This trade is really a no brainer!! This will put us in title contention for next year!! 3 first rounders and a big free agent (hopefully Duncan) and we will be the elite of the East for years to come.

Is anyone buying their season tix yet??? (Wish they were closer and I could afford them!! :( )

I'm not sure who asked it on the radio, but if you could package the three draft picks and get the first pick. Would you do it, that highschool kid from ohio would definitely be first dibs.

Lebron James is the consensus first overall selection, with many scouts pegging him as the next Kobe Bryant. With that being said, I don't believe Joe Dumars wants the kid. Lets face facts, as dominant as he is as a high schooler, he is not going to come into the NBA and even be average, he's going to ride the pine for 2 or even three years. Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady started to breakout in their third year, with their fourth years making them all-stars and Jermaine O'Neal took a better part of five seasons. After their fourth seasons they become unrestricted free-agents, and go to the highest bidder. The problem with this type of free-agent is that every team will offer max money, so other options will come into play including marketability for endorsement purposes, closeness to home, team prospects of winning and climate. Basically any team drafting LeBron James will pay him big money to sit on the bench, getting little to no output from him , while moulding him into an NBA player. Just when it looks like their investment is going to pay off, the kid has the option to go whereever he wants via free-agency.

Joe Dumars has learned his lesson from the Rod White debacle and I believe he will no longer draft highschoolers or freshmen or sophemore collegiate players. Drafting Juniors or seniors you basically know what you are going to get, furthermore these players will be ready to contribute almost instantly, as the high draftpicks did in the past when all the kids stayed for a minimum of 3 yrs. So you get bang for your buck, vs coddling a highschooler and watching him walk in 3 or 4 seasons.

As long as Memphis doesn't get James, I'm happy. We need the Memphis pick this draft.

Furthermore the Milwaukee Bucks pick is protected, 1-18 this draft, 1-15 in 2003-2004, 1-13 in 2004-2005 and unprotected in 2006. So IF we have 3 picks this season 2 are going to be late rounders, so even if Memphis gave us the 2nd overall pick, packageing it with two 20-something selections is not going to get the deal done.

Nice info Ryan!! I hate those stupid first round "clauses". What the heck is the no pick if it is 1-18 one year and 1-15 the next, etc. Oh well, I agree with Ryan about the high school/young college thing. We should look for role players rather than total packages. We can afford to BUY a total package this year and have the bang for our buck immediately rather than wait 3-4 years to develop it.

I really don't mind waiting a year or so for the Bucks pick if we get a top 5 Memphis pick. With a lottery kid and a big free agent this summer (I hope Duncan) we will be able to see the holes we have to fill after the 2004 season and will be able to have a couple of picks to find them or trade 2 first round picks for a top 5 pick.

Isn't it good to be a Pistons fan? What a wonderful way to forget about the Lions and Tigers!!

Got to be tough!! Yo Joe!

Coming to the Pistons forum makes me so happy. It is a good break from the other sports.

I do believe we are getting the draft pick, Reid, and the chinese monster. Even if we were only getting two of those 3, I would still be satisfied with the trade.

Another great deal by Joe D and the Pistons are on their way to competing for at least a conference championship, and if they make a strong enough bid for Duncan, a NBA Championship!