Todd

Tigers Vs. Royals game 3

TIME: Sunday, 2:05 p.m. EDT.

Rookie Jason Beverlin will make his first career start as the Detroit Tigers play the rubber game of their weekend series with the Kansas City Royals at Comerica Park.

Beverlin, who made four relief appearances for the Cleveland Indians this season before being claimed off waivers by Detroit on Aug. 22, was 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA in four outings for Triple-A Toledo.

The 29-year-old right-hander will join a Detroit rotation loaded with inexperienced arms.

Both Andy Van Hekken and Shane Loux made their major league debuts earlier this month, while Mike Maroth has just 18 big league starts.

The Tigers began the season with a starting rotation of Jeff Weaver, Steve Sparks, Mark Redman, Jose Lima and Nate Cornejo. Only Sparks and Redman are still starting for Detroit.

"I had a young staff when I was with (Double-A) Erie last year," Detroit manager Luis Pujols said. "And I have a young staff again."

The Tigers snapped a four-game losing streak with a 4-2, 10-inning victory on Friday, but the Royals responded with a 5-1 triumph on Saturday.

Paul Byrd tossed a four-hitter for his AL-leading seventh complete game as Kansas City won for just the second time in 12 games.

The Tigers are trying to win their first series since taking two of three at Baltimore from Aug. 16-18.

Detroit has not won consecutive games since Aug. 30-31.

STANDINGS (through Sept. 13): Royals - 4th place, 28½ GB, AL Central. Tigers - 5th place, 31½ GB, AL Central.

ROYALS PROBABLE STARTER: Runelvys Hernandez (3-4, 4.82 ERA). The rookie right-hander went 3-1 in his first five big league starts, but is 0-3 in his last four outings. Hernandez was reached for five runs and eight hits over 6 2-3 innings in Tuesday's 12-4 loss to the Chicago White Sox. He has allowed at least four runs in each of his last four starts. Hernandez is making his first career appearance against Detroit.

TIGERS PROBABLE STARTER: Beverlin (0-0, 7.36 ERA). Beverlin made his major league debut for the Indians on July 29, allowing one run and two hits over 2 1-3 innings of relief. He has yielded seven runs over 7 1-3 innings in his four major league appearances. This will be his first outing against Kansas City.

OFFENSIVE LEADERS: Royals - Mike Sweeney, .340 avg.; Carlos Beltran, 25 HRs, 103 runs and 32 SBs; Raul Ibanez, 99 RBIs. Tigers - Randall Simon, .298 avg., 18 HRs and 79 RBIs; Robert Fick, 63 runs; Bobby Higginson and Carlos Pena, 12 SBs.

SEASON SERIES: Tied, 7-7.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Royals - 1B Sweeney has 20 RBIs in his last 12 games. ... RHP Byrd is the first Royal to win 16 games since David Cone in 1994. Tigers - The Tigers are 3-10 in September. ... OF Fick leads the majors with 18 outfield assists and 12 outfield errors.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Royals - 23-50 on the road. Tigers - 32-41 at home.

INJURIES: Royals - OF Chuck Knoblauch (toe), day-to-day; OF Mark Quinn (hamstring), 60-day DL. Tigers - OF Wendell Magee (toe), 15-day DL; DH Dmitri Young (hernia), 15-day DL; RHP Matt Anderson (shoulder), 60-day DL; DH Jacob Cruz (elbow), 60-day DL; 3B Dean Palmer (shoulder), 60-day DL; C Mitch Meluskey (back), 60-day DL; RHP Julio Santana (elbow), 60-day DL; LHP Matt Miller (shoulder), out for season; RHP Danny Patterson (elbow), out for season; LHP Adam Pettyjohn (colitis), out for season.

Kansas City (57-91)

BATTING LINEUP

M. Tucker DH

C. Beltran CF

M. Sweeney 1B

J. Randa 3B

D. Brown LF

B. Mayne C

A. Guiel RF

N. Perez SS

C. Febles 2B

PITCHING STATS

Hernandez

Detroit (53-95)

BATTING LINEUP

G. Lombard, CF

O. Infante, SS

B. Higginson, LF

C. Pena, DH

M. Rivera, C

E. Munson, 1B

H. Bocachica, RF

D. Jackson, 2B

C. Truby, 3B

PITCHING

Beverlin

Hopefully it was just nerves out there. Many more innings with 3 BB's and this kid will be back on the bus in Toledo.

Nice catch Truby :rolleyes:

6-0 royals 3rd inning, i was gonna goto the game today now i am glad i didnt

Royals 9, Tigers 3

Sept. 15, 2002

SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT (AP) Joe Randa and Dee Brown each had three hits as the Kansas City Royals beat the Detroit Tigers 9-3 Sunday.

Runelvys Hernandez came within two outs of his first complete game, allowing three runs on seven hits.

Randa tripled and scored three runs as the Royals won their second in a row and extended their lead over the last-place Tigers to five games. Brown doubled and homered for Kansas City.

Before the game, the Tigers honored longtime broadcaster Ernie Harwell, who is retiring after 55 years as a major-league announcer, 42 with the Tigers.

A statue of Harwell was unveiled inside the entrance to Comerica Park.

Hernandez (4-4) walked three and struck out five. He left with one out in the ninth, after allowing a two-run double to Mike Rivera.

It was the sixth loss in seven games for the Tigers, who have lost 21 of their last 25.

Detroit starter Jason Beverlin, making his first major league start, lasted just 2 2-3 innings, giving up five earned runs on seven hits.

With two outs in the first, Mike Sweeney walked and went to third on singles by Randa and Brown.

Beverlin (0-1) then walked Brent Mayne and Aaron Guiel to force in two runs.

The Royals scored four times in the third inning to chase Beverlin, then added a pair of runs in the fourth inning off reliever Adam Bernero. Brown hit his first home run of the season in the sixth.

Detroit scored in the third, when Chris Truby reached base on a fielder's choice, went to second on a walk to George Lombard and scored on Omar Infante's single.

Notes: Sweeney extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a pair of singles. Randa has hit safely in 12 of the last 13 games. ... Beverlin was the 56th player used by the Tigers this season, tying an American League record set by the Philadelphia Athletics in 1915. ... Brown's homer was his first since Oct. 7, 2001, also at Detroit. ... The game was delayed for several minutes in the middle of the fifth inning, when a message was broadcast over the public address system ordering fans to leave Comerica Park due to an "emergency." It was a false alarm.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2002, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Just got home from the game, if you want to call it that.

Absoutley awful!

Pregame ceremonies were great. All downhill after that.

Got a scare in the 5th inning over the loudspeakers asking all fans to leave the stadium, sirens going off etc. Turned out to be a false alarm.

Tigers can't pitch, field or hit.

I wish the season was over today.

The statue the Tigers unveiled of Ernie at the front /main entrance is awesome. Nice touch.

I don't understand why people pronounce Comerica, Co-America.

ie Debbie Stabenow and many others.

Originally posted by Sandlot

I don't understand why people pronounce Comerica, Co-America.

ie Debbie Stabenow and many others.

I think it has to do with the two banks that merged to form Comerica. It happened before I became aware of banking and politics and such, so you'll have to ask one of the more knowledgeable people around here about it.

It just shows how out of touch Stabenow (and many other Senators) are with their constituents. If they couldn't even make it back to Michigan to honor Ernie Harwell, they don't belong in Washington. I bet they would have made it back to attend a $1000 plate fundraiser.

Ok, I am done. I'll get back to baseball and off politics.

:D

Originally posted by macuser

It just shows how out of touch Stabenow (and many other Senators) are with their constituents. If they couldn't even make it back to Michigan to honor Ernie Harwell, they don't belong in Washington. I bet they would have made it back to attend a $1000 plate fundraiser.

Ok, I am done. I'll get back to baseball and off politics.

:D

AMEN