DTHFC

...All Star Brandon Inge?

His stats merit a look don't they? Only ARod is having a better year...

Who would have thought that a couple of years ago...

As of right now, yes, Brandon deserves to go. However, there is a little over a month left before the All-Star break, and things can change very quickly. Let's hope for Brandon's sake & our sakes that he can keep this pace up.

I think this is the type of player he's going to be all year. He hasn't been all that streaky. He's been very consistant. I expect him to hit .300 - .310 this year.

I always believed that they brought him up 2 years too early (because of poor planning and trading by you know who).

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

I think this is the type of player he's going to be all year. He hasn't been all that streaky. He's been very consistant. I expect him to hit .300 - .310 this year.

I always believed that they brought him up 2 years too early (because of poor planning and trading by you know who).

They brought him up way too early because Mitch Meluskey was lost for the season with about a week or two to go in spring training 2001 and they didn't have another Plan B.

His hitting that year reflected a player who didn't have enough minor league seasoning suddenly thrust into a major league starting role.

As for his All-Star merits this year, you can definitely make a case. Here's a comparison to other starting AL third basemen in some key stat areas:

Avg.

Rodriguez, NY .331

Hillenbrand, Tor .325

Inge, Det .308

OBP

Rodriguez, NY .440

Mueller, Bos .409

Inge, Det .392

SLG

Rodriguez, NY .669

Mora, Bal .518

Inge, Det .478

Hits

Hillenbrand 62

Mora 60

Rodriguez 59

Inge 56

HR (this one might hurt him)

Rodriguez 17

Mora 10

Blalock 8

Coskie 7

Beltre 5

Hillenbrand 5

Inge and 4 others tied at 4

RBI

Rodriguez 49

Mora 29

Blalock 27

Beltre 24

Hillenbrand 24

Chavez 22

Inge 21

My guess is that he gets a little extra consideration because the game is in Detroit and Tram, who has already been named an All-Star coach, will likely campaign for him.

A-Rod, er, might possibly make it. :cool: Then, assuming three are chosen, you're probably going to get the other two from a pool of Mora, Hillenbrand and Inge.

It also may depend on how many SS's, with Guillen a definite possibility there. Also, KC needs a rep, and Berroa might have to go, unless they go with Sweeney.

his rbi totals aren't as high because he bats lead off...its funny i was just thinking about this..i believe Inge should be an all-star.

This year's selections ought to be interesting. There are a number of Tigers you could make an argument for besides Inge.

Guillen clearly deserves to go. The guy's batting average alone should get him in. He has played in like 12 fewer games than Jeter but has just about as many hits. But you have Jeter getting the vote, and you can't leave off Tejada.

Then you have Inge, who's lacking ideal power for 3b, but has the other intangibles to get a nod like BA, and his RBIs aren't really that bad considering he is leading off. ARod will get the vote, then its between Inge, Mora, and maybe Blalock.

At Catcher, Pudge is probably the least deserving of the bunch, but if he can heat up a little bit he'll still have his .300 average and he is throwing out a high number of runners this year. Veritek will probably get the vote. Then Posada and Mauer need a close look. But the damn game is in Detroit and he is the face of the club. So I guess we'll see about that one. But you have to figure if he goes, somebody else from Detroit more deserving perhaps, gets left off.

A compelling case for Dmitri can even be made. Only Ortiz has a higher OPS than Young with DHs over 100 ABs. Hillenbrand has a .325 avg with 80 ABs but no power to speak of. and Toronto will surely have their rep in Halladay won't they?

As far as pitching, Bonderman and Robertson may get a look. They'll both have to string a couple of wins together though and Bonderman will have to lower his ERA. I think these two are longshots, but not that big of longshots, especially with Bonderman who is keeping pace (actually more Ks/9) with Randy Johnson in Ks.

Originally posted by Casimir

A little food for thought:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/allstar/projections

Hell, Rondell might need some consideration too. Guillen, Bonderman, and Pudge aren't on those rosters. Blasphemy. I understand Pudge not being on there. (Though he is hitting better) Bonderman and Guillen should atleast have a spot.

Inge has the 5th best AVG. in the majors (3B).

Defensively, Inge (.936) ranks close to the bottom in the AL, just a bit below A-Rod (.938. Blalock is the man here (.992).

Originally posted by DTHFC

Guillen clearly deserves to go. The guy's batting average alone should get him in.

It's funny that this quote comes from the same board where we have people who could not get rid of Alex Sanchez fast enough because his OPS was horrific.

Not ripping on you DTFHC, just thought it was funny.

I don't think Shea Hillenbrand merits any kind of consideration as a third baseman in this situation...Aaron Hill plays just as much defensively at third, and if Koskie was healthy enough, Hillenbrand is a full-time DH. I think on the ballot itself Shea is a DH so I don't think it's even a concern. Blalock though is what I'm concerned about.....

Originally posted by kpking3032

I don't think Shea Hillenbrand merits any kind of consideration as a third baseman in this situation...Aaron Hill plays just as much defensively at third, and if Koskie was healthy enough, Hillenbrand is a full-time DH. I think on the ballot itself Shea is a DH so I don't think it's even a concern. Blalock though is what I'm concerned about.....

- Hillerbrand's average is already down, and will probably be below .300 by the All-Star break.

- Pudge will probably be voted in by the fans, whether he deserves it or not. Not to mention Javy won't be back from his injury by the All-Star break.

- I doubt they take 3 first basemen. Tino or Sexson will probably be left off due to low averages. Sweeney will represent KC, and he deserves to (as long as he isn't traded).

- I'd say Bonderman makes it over a guy like Colon if he gets a few more wins & keeps pitching quality games.

- Guillen is iffy. If he keeps his batting average above .350, then I'd say he'll go. If he gets injured or struggles between now & the break, I'd say he'll be watching from somewhere other than the dugout.

I hope Guillen does not play in the game. He has to take a couple days off each week. I'd rather those days come during the allstar game than in a real game.