Todd

Tigers Vs. Twins game 2

GAME DAY PREVIEW Game time: 2:05 PM

Minnesota (14-9) at Detroit (5-16) 2:05 pm EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINNESOTA TWINS AT DETROIT TIGERS

Minnesota Twins (14-9)

AT Detroit Tigers (5-16)

NAME SEASON LAST START LAST 3 APP

G GS W-L ERA AIP TM DATE OPP DEC IP ER W-L IP ERA

M. Kinney ® 1 1 1-0 1.42 6.1 1-0 4/20 Cle W 6.1 1 1-0 6.1 1.42

N. Cornejo ® 2 2 0-2 9.00 4.0 0-2 4/20 @CWS L 2.1 5 0-2 8.0 9.00

DETROIT (Ticker) -- Robert Fick and the Detroit Tigers look to follow up an emotional victory when they continue a three-game series with the Minnesota Twins on Saturday afternoon.

On the day of his sister's funeral, Fick led off the bottom of the 10th inning with a home run off reliever Bob Wells to give the Tigers a 3-2 victory in Friday's series opener.

The Tigers, who have won five of 10 since opening the season with 11 consecutive losses, also got two hits from Bobby Higginson, who had missed two games with a bruised knee.

Manager Luis Pujols hands the ball to highly touted righthander Nate Cornejo (0-2, 9.00 ERA), whom he managed at Class AA Erie last season.

Cornejo was recalled from Class AAA Toledo and started last Saturday's 12-5 loss at Comiskey Park to the Chicago White Sox. The Tigers' 2001 Minor League Pitcher of the Year, Cornejo was hammered by the White Sox, giving up six runs, four hits and three walks in just 2 1/3 innings.

Cornejo won his only start against the Twins, allowing five runs and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings of a 9-5 victory on October 3 in Detroit.

Since completing a three-game sweep at the Metrodome of the Cleveland Indians last weekend, the Twins have lost three of four games.

Matt Kinney (1-0, 1.42) makes his 10th major league start for the Twins on Saturday and his second in place of Joe Mays, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on April 18 with inflammation in his right elbow.

Kinney made his major league start in nearly two years last Saturday and allowed one run and three hits in 6 1/3 innings of a 6-2 triumph over the Indians. He has made two career starts against the Tigers and is 0-0 with a 3.75 ERA. He has allowed five runs and 11 hits in 12 innings.

Minnesota has won 18 of the last 23 meetings with Detroit.

Twins Lineup:

Jones LF

Guzman SS

Mientkiewicz 1B

Koskie 3B

Hunter CF

Lecroy DH

Buchanan RF

Pierzynski C

Caniarzo 2B

Tigers lineup:

Magee CF

Fick RF

Higginson LF

Simon 1B

Halter SS

Paquette 3B

Cruz Dh

Rivera C

Macias 2b

Simon hits a homer and drives in higgy tigers up 4-1 in the 3rd

still 5-1 tigers after 5 innings nate is looking pretty darn good thats three young pitchers ( Weaver, Seth, and nate)that have had good outings

still 5-1 heading into the bottom of the 8th nate has 7 k's so far and hes looking like the pitcher we heard about:D

Cornejo's sinker has been very sharp today. Hopefully McCatty and Cornejo have solved his mechanical problems and this is the Cornejo we will see for the rest of the season.

Weaver and his new motion, the return of Seth Grieinger and now Nate Cornejo's solid start - Is that hope I smell in the air?

I LOVE that Pujols is letting the starters stay in there. Complete games were nearly extinct.

Absolutely beautiful game by Cornejo. He did what he should always do, just throw the effing ball. The movement he has on his fastball is enough for him. I don't think he even threw 20 breaking pitches the whole game, nor should he. Very encouraging game, very, very, encouragiing.

What was our records in 2000 and 2001 after 24 games?

If Cornejo can pitch half as good as today

Seth comeback continues

and Moeller comes back as well as he was....

It was a masterful performance of his roughly 120 pitches, 85 were for strikes.

Did Redman miss his start or did they shake up the rotation?

Optimism is cheap, ain't it not? Having 2 very reliable starters is very, very, important. If the Tigers can get 3, that certainly helps, a lot.

Tigers started 9-22 in 2000 with Juan Gonzalez

Tigers were 8-14 after 22 games in 2001

Tigers are 6-16 in 2002.

Cornejo looked very good. Fick is doing the job in right field. Randall Simon is hitting everything.

HIgginson was 3 for 4.

Rivera mashed a ball that I thought was a homer for sure....then lined one back to the pitcher. Rivera is going to hit .280 with 20 homers....rookie of the year contention.

thanks TDP.

I had a feeling we were about par for OUR course.

If nothing else, I'll (hopefully) have fun watching Simon, Rivera, Cruz, Fick and the young-arms (Seth and Nate). Keep playing them every day! (well...not Seth and Nate everyday)

if Nate can continue these kind of outings...

Weaver, Sparks, Redman, Greisinger, Corenjo... could battle us back to .500! One more win and we're tied with the team who should be the cellar dwellers, KC.

HEY MY ADOPTED TIGER CAME THROUGH WITH A BIG GAME!

I watched on TV about the 4-6th innings and then listened to the rest! It was great to see Cornejo have an outstanding outing. I'm not going to fall into the "this is what is potential is" argument, but it was great to see over nine innings what people saw in him in Erie last year while pitching in that bandbox.

GO CORNEJO!

Did Redman miss his start or did they shake up the rotation?
The rotation changed awhile back, before Greisinger replaced Lima. I assume it'll stay this way now, at least for awhile.