MotownRandy

Official 2005 Draft Day Thread

Originally posted by 84 Lives!!!

Brandon Browner - hybrid CB/FS.

Hybrid mule. Too slow.

If you want speed it's Stanford Routt - whom I also like but is more raw.... but too early... I'd trade down to mid-2nd or so for him...

Originally posted by cruzer1

Charles Rogers is fine. He's in better shape right now than Roy Williams. I love this pick.:classic:

Charles Rogers has hardly played since they drafted him. He has had pretty much the same injury two seasons in a row.

I am more worried about Charles playing for more than 3 games next season than I am about Roy Williams.

Overall I think Mike was a BPA pick all the way. He was a good pick and I think he will prove to be the best reciever overall in this draft. SO I agree that this pick was great.

PS: (This was at Foxsports):

CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The only thing Williams may hate is that he could line up as a tight end. The Lions were pegged to take LB Derrick Johnson, but GM Matt Millen loved Williams' competitive attitude and his ability to strong-arm defensive backs. Doesn't have big-time speed, but catches in traffic and has super hands. There will be no excuses for QB Joey Harrington with his receiving lineup: Roy Williams and Charles Rogers. This off-season Rogers had a plate inserted over his collarbone, so there will never be a repeat of that injury. Pretty scary receiving lineup.

DELUCIA'S SCOUTING TAKE: An excellent pick in taking the best player on the board, although they needed a pass rusher or another athlete at LB. Credit Matt Millen for being bold and smart due to the durability questions with Charles Rogers and Roy Williams. Mike Williams has the size and physical skills to create a lot of matchup problems. The Lions' passing game will be dangerous with a core built around young stars Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, and veteran Marcus Pollard. If these guys stay healthy, they will be fighting for the ball. Joey Harrington is on the hot seat to produce quickly.

PERSONALLY, I think our 1st down and Red-Zone efficiency are going to sky-rocket next year... not just because, but certainly helped by, getting Mike Williams. We also have Kevin Jones up-to-speed in his 2nd year, Pollard, and hopefully a full year from Rogers and RW. The offense could be.... explosive! (And I don't believe for a second that Joey will hold them back at all...)

Originally posted by estrepe1

Charles Rogers has hardly played since they drafted him. He has had pretty much the same injury two seasons in a row.

I am more worried about Charles playing for more than 3 games next season than I am about Roy Williams.

Overall I think Mike was a BPA pick all the way. He was a good pick and I think he will prove to be the best reciever overall in this draft. SO I agree that this pick was great.

Roy Williams is coming off ankle surgery and is still rehabbing. Rogers has gained 15 lbs of muscle. Don't be prejudiced because he broke bones, which have healed with a plate. That's silly.

I still don't like this pick. And now I see the guy I wanted to drop to the second was taken by the bungles :dead:

just so far, I'm giving the Lions a C. This isnt going to be like the great drafts of the past two years.

Roy Williams is coming off ankle surgery and is still rehabbing. Rogers has gained 15 lbs of muscle. Don't be prejudiced because he broke bones, which have healed with a plate. That's silly.

Rogers has played 5 games in 2 seasons. I think I am justified in being skeptical whether he will play a full season.

We are at pick #24 (GB). If A. Rogers is there at the Lions 2nd round pick, do they take him? He may not last past this pick though (Farve's days are numbered).

Nevermind, he just gt picked.

Ok, so do the Lions take Jason Campbell in the 2nd then?

Originally posted by Tigercub33

We are at pick #24 (GB). If A. Rogers is there at the Lions 2nd round pick, do they take him? He may not last past this pick though (Farve's days are numbered).

No. Wait for the 4th round to see who drops. CB/FS is next priority, and another DT for a rotation and to develop to replace Big Daddy eventually. I don't see it as so critical to get the 3rd QB so soon.... I'd LOVE McPherson in the 4th...!!!

Rodgers and Campbell will be the next two picks. I'd take McPherson if he is there in the 3rd(which he probably will not be), or take Orton in the 4th. I take defense in the 2nd round - FS Josh Bullocks would be nice.

Originally posted by estrepe1

Rogers has played 5 games in 2 seasons. I think I am justified in being skeptical whether he will play a full season.

What does he have, broken bone-itis?

No. Wait for the 4th round to see who drops. CB/FS is next priority, and another DT for a rotation and to develop to replace Big Daddy eventually. I don't see it as so critical to get the 3rd QB so soon.... I'd LOVE McPherson in the 4th...!!!

Good point, I agree with you on this (mostly). I am afraid McPherson might end up being Mike McMahon v2.

I personally think we need a CB/FS (Marlin Jackson if he is still there) or a DE. I think we choose a QB in round 3 though.

What does he have, broken bone-itis?

He does seem brittle, however I think he made a mistake of not having the surgery to put in the plate after the first injury - sure thebone will heal stronger over the break, but basic physics says the bone right next to the healed over break will be more suseptable to breaking.

He should have had a plate put in on the other side while he was at it, just in case :wink:

Originally posted by The Ronz

any more 2 yard slants are called on 3 & 8 - Mooch should be fired on the spot.

You're forgetting about YAC..:cheeky:

Question is, can Aaron Rodger's nuts handle the lambeau cold?

Also, I think Detroit HAS to take Charlie Frye from Akron

I'll bet you McPherson is still available in the 4th round.

Anybody worth trading up for right about know?? Maybe dangling our 4th rounder...

There was a rumor of us trading our 10th pick to a LATE first round for their first, second, third and first next season. Could Philly be that team?? They have some obscene number of picks this draft and have certain questions surrounding TO and his contract already.

Mike Williams for the 31, 63, 94 and next years first rounder??

Philly has the 35 from Miami and the 77th from KC as well. Maybe the 31, 35, & 77??

Originally posted by Mark The Shark

I'll take that bet.

Originally posted by Shaggy Ry

Anybody worth trading up for right about know?? Maybe dangling our 4th rounder...

Hakim and our 4th and 3rd next year to move up and take Campbell, Marlin Jackson or maybe Matt Roth (DE Iowa).

I think you could get the last two with one of the last 4 picks of the 1st or the first 2 picks of the 2nd.

Originally posted by Mark The Shark

I think so too. I think Frye and several others go in the 2nd/3rd... McPherson drops...