MotownRandy

Official 2005 Draft Day Thread

Originally posted by tigersfan25

Any documented proof of this, Buddha? Because we know that when Joey has success, it is because he isn't checking down.

What games are you watching?:classic:

How about Mooch tearing out his hair during and after every game?

Originally posted by Buddha

What games are you watching?:classic:

Specifically the New York Giants game and the second Minnesota game, which was lost on a bad snap. Harrington went downfield often in both games, and he had success, and the team had success.

Joey needs a little more consistency, but I can't understand why everybody wants to pull him for a 35 year old quarterback who hasn't shown in two years that he can be any more effective than Harrington can.

The fact of the matter is that I doubt that the short passing game that the Lions have been running is Joey's fault. Mariucci has shown in the past how conservative his playcalling is, and that doesn't fit Joey's style..

We will agree on this, though... no more excuses for Harrington. I could care less whether or not his numbers are monster numbers, he just needs to win ballgames, at this point.

Originally posted by cruzer1

Charles Rogers is fine. He's in better shape right now than Roy Williams. I love this pick.:classic:

Sure Rogers is fine...he's not out taking a hit. Regardless, I like the pick, it's time to finally expose Harrington for what he is and isn't. If he doesn't make it, Garcia will be the perfect QB. He understands the offense and will be surrounded by play makers.

Having said that...I think the Lions were in a position to pick Williams because Rogers and Harrington are question marks. Had either emerged we'd be looking at Williams as icing on the cake instead of still looking to make the cake. The Lions have just invested too many top picks in an offense that still doesn't have it together.

Specifically the New York Giants game and the second Minnesota game, which was lost on a bad snap. Harrington went downfield often in both games, and he had success, and the team had success.

Joey needs a little more consistency, but I can't understand why everybody wants to pull him for a 35 year old quarterback who hasn't shown in two years that he can be any more effective than Harrington can.

The fact of the matter is that I doubt that the short passing game that the Lions have been running is Joey's fault. Mariucci has shown in the past how conservative his playcalling is, and that doesn't fit Joey's style..

We will agree on this, though... no more excuses for Harrington. I could care less whether or not his numbers are monster numbers, he just needs to win ballgames, at this point.

What about the other 14 games? How many balls thrown into the Dline? How many at people's feet?

QB is the most important position on the field and Harrington didn't have it last year. His surrounding cast wasn't good, but neither was he.

This is his last shot. I put the odds at 50/50 he won't be starting 16 games for the Lions next season. And it won't be because he's hurt.

As for the inevitable Drew Brees comparison, Brees was better in his third season than Harrington was in his third season. Harrington has never been more than a bad QB.

I want Joey to succeed as much as the next Lions' fan. In fact, with a good season from Joey, I think the Lions could easily be 11-5 or 12-4 next year. But I'll believe it when I see it. Cause I haven't seen ANYTHING from him yet. Not one thing that indicates he'll ever be more than a back-up QB in this league.

And you're right, if they keep Williams, he'll have no excuses.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

I liked the analysis Merril Hodge gave about Williams and the Lions.

I have to agree. I DO think Williams can be dominant though. I think Williams gets matched up on a lot of OLBs and FSs. I don't think Williams will be a pure WR, but I don't think he will be a TE either.

I know I may get crap for this, but I really think this guy is like a KWII. They were saying KWII could play WR is needed and I think Williams can play TE if needed. Essentially this is like having the 6th and 7th picks from LAST years 1st round.

As for the Harrington talk, the Lions will take a QB in the 3rd or 4th (after taking a DE or CB in the 2nd).

What about the other 14 games? How many balls thrown into the Dline? How many at people's feet?

QB is the most important position on the field and Harrington didn't have it last year. His surrounding cast wasn't good, but neither was he.

This is his last shot. I put the odds at 50/50 he won't be starting 16 games for the Lions next season. And it won't be because he's hurt.

As for the inevitable Drew Brees comparison, Brees was better in his third season than Harrington was in his third season. Harrington has never been more than a bad QB.

I want Joey to succeed as much as the next Lions' fan. In fact, with a good season from Joey, I think the Lions could easily be 11-5 or 12-4 next year. But I'll believe it when I see it. Cause I haven't seen ANYTHING from him yet. Not one thing that indicates he'll ever be more than a back-up QB in this league.

And you're right, if they keep Williams, he'll have no excuses.

Good post, and I agree with most of it, except the not starting for 16 games part.

Good post, and I agree with most of it, except the not starting for 16 games part.

I think we're probably pretty close on Joey, but you have more faith than I do.

I think we're probably pretty close on Joey, but you have more faith than I do.

I don't think its faith, more than I feel that both Garcia and Harrington are on the same level currently numbers wise... Harrington, though, gets the nod in my book because he is only 26 years, while Garcia is 35 years old. At least with Harrington, improvement is a possibility.

I don't think its faith, more than I feel that both Garcia and Harrington are on the same level currently numbers wise... Harrington, though, gets the nod in my book because he is only 26 years, while Garcia is 35 years old. At least with Harrington, improvement is a possibility.

Sure. But for only one season - a season in which you have a chance to make some real noise on offense - I might take Garcia to run Mooch's offense.

That being said, I think we can both agree that Mooch's offense is too conservative and Harrington's game (at least as how it appeared in college) is not suited for it.

I can't stand the WCO. The Lions now have two burners at receiver, one outstanding pass catcher at WR/TE and a stud running back, you don't need to be conservative like the WCO. Throw the ball downfield!

Sure. But for only one season - a season in which you have a chance to make some real noise on offense - I might take Garcia to run Mooch's offense.

That being said, I think we can both agree that Mooch's offense is too conservative and Harrington's game (at least as how it appeared in college) is not suited for it.

I can't stand the WCO. The Lions now have two burners at receiver, one outstanding pass catcher at WR/TE and a stud running back, you don't need to be conservative like the WCO. Throw the ball downfield!

Agreed on all points... its just that unlike a lot of people, it seems, I am actually rooting for Harrington to succeed...

The WCO is a downfield system. For the 49ers, Vikings, Packers, etc it is anyways. Now they have better talent for the system.

One of the big complaints about Mariucci in San Francisco was his unwillingness to go downfield... we are now feeling the effects of it in Detroit...

Originally posted by cruzer1

The WCO is a downfield system. For the 49ers, Vikings, Packers, etc it is anyways. Now they have better talent for the system.

It isn't for the Lions. Unless it's Harrington checking down all the time.

Even with Harrington I think the Lions are 10-6 next year.