Sign in to follow this  
FloridaTigers

...Yet you still want to close?

I can't believe it. Urbina, still thinking "I can close" and the commentators even mentioning he still has a closer mentality. If you really want to prove everyone wrong, stop giving up homeruns.

Originally posted by Shaggy Ry

??

This was a damn good baseball game and I jump on here for 5 minutes and all anyones doing is complaining about this and complainging about that. It's irritating!

Uggeth is still a good pitcher and has been a closer his whole career. There are a couple teams out here that desperately need a closer. A reporter asks him if he'd rather be traded to a team where he can close. He says yes. Big Deal! These people act like athletes aren't supposed to have an opinion or something. YES HE WANTS TO BE A CLOSER. So what. You don't have to dog on the guy all year because of that. They're people just like you and I are.

I was speaking in the heat of the moment though and I'm very irritated right now so I appologize for being rude...

I apologize for sounding like ****. I was caught up in a the moment. It was a close game. Good? I don't know. It was a very messy ballgame. On Urbina, I know he wants to close, but he has to make with what he has now. I'm sure Tram will squeeze in a few save oppertunities if Percival has pitched in a game prior.

I agree I think it may be a bit early to pick on Uggie.. But this role seems to be giving him some fits, hopefully he will grow into it and nail down the 8th on a regular basis. It just stinks that he has allowed at least one run in each of his first three games. The season is young, I guess I will give Higgy a break too then.

Originally posted by FloridaTigers

but he has to make with what he has now. I'm sure Tram will squeeze in a few save oppertunities if Percival has pitched in a game prior.

He has to make with what he has?? You act like he's asking for a trade or demanding to be the closer and he's done neither.

You guys gotta remember.. we've only played 4 games. Before the season it would have sounded pretty stupid to be doing as much complaing as people are doing when we've won as many games as we've lost. Their situation does not warrant all of the "cut this guy.. trade this guy" that's going on.

Four games....

Disappointing. Urbina has improved his fastball and looks better out there, but the results so far have been similar to last year. If he wasn't hitting 94 on the gun I'd be calling for his head too, but I'm willing to chalk this bad start up to bad luck.

Originally posted by Yoda

This was a damn good baseball game and I jump on here for 5 minutes and all anyones doing is complaining about this and complainging about that. It's irritating!

This is why I don't participate in the game threads much. People overreact to everything. Then I make sarcastic remarks and piss people off. I prefer to just watch the game and then check in once in a while. I see baseball as a marathon, not a sprint.

Originally posted by tiger337

This is why I don't participate in the game threads much. People overreact to everything. Then I make sarcastic remarks and piss people off. I prefer to just watch the game and then check in once in a while. I see baseball as a marathon, not a sprint.

The game threads are a lot of fun when they're winning. Someone makes one bad move though and all hell breaks lose. Did Chicago pick up and move to Detroit when I left?

It was a great game and the game thread is the only way most of us can share the game with others. It's the best thing about this board. It's ground zero...where the rubber hits the road...etc.

Ain't it great to have REAL baseball back!!:classic:

I like Urbina a lot, but I'm not sure he can be an 8th inning-guy. I think he needs that heat on him in order to perform. Look at Percy in yesterday's game - garbage time, and he gives up a few runs. Closers need that 'game-on-the-line' buzz going through their body, I really believe that. A lot of relievers are like this.

I thought Farnsy threw well tonight, too - and of course, Robertson. Too bad they couldn't get him any runs.

OVERLOOKED MISHAP OF THE NIGHT: Martinez gets hurt (hopefully, not serious - they said x-rays were negative which is good - just a sprained thumb) but that forced Tram to put Smith in at short. Then, wouldn't you know it, Smith gets a BIG at-bat with the sacks drunk - and does nothing with it. That was big. Maybe he should have pinch hit Guillen then? Too early? I mean, either you give him a night off or not, and later, he was in the darn game anyway. Just a thought . . .

And yes - it's GREAT to have baseball back! :classic:

Originally posted by IdahoBert

It was a great game and the game thread is the only way most of us can share the game with others. It's the best thing about this board. It's ground zero...where the rubber hits the road...etc.

Ain't it great to have REAL baseball back!!:classic:

I agree with Yoda that the game thread is great when the Tigers are doing well. The game thread is cool but I don't know if I'd call it the greatest thing about the board.

My favorite things are the discussions about minor leaguers and the in depth analytical baseball discussions that show up in other threads.

Originally posted by Mike E Monster

I like Urbina a lot, but I'm not sure he can be an 8th inning-guy. I think he needs that heat on him in order to perform.

Tie game, 8th inning against a Division rival... how much more heat does he need?

Anyway, it's way too early to be getting all verklempt and sh*t.

Percival gave up a two run homer, Urbina did (I realize of course that only Urbinas homer hurt the Tigers). They have both bad starts, they will come around. I still really like the bullpen, Farnsworth seems to be sharpe. Too bad Robertson's great start (if I remember correctly he only gave up one extra base hit) was wasted.

I believe Urbina's ERA is 2 points higher when he's setting up rather than closing. Sadly.

Originally posted by tiger337

I agree with Yoda that the game thread is great when the Tigers are doing well. The game thread is cool but I don't know if I'd call it the greatest thing about the board.

The game threads are the only way I get to "watch" 95% of the games. In my book win or lose they are indeed one of the greatest parts of the board.

If you were sitting around with a bunch of your friends watching last nights game you would have gotten the same reactions from them that you get from the game thread.