Zakk_Wylde

FoxSportsnet's top 10 Nascar Drivers

Foxsportsnet just did the top 10 Nascar drivers and I must say .. I disagree with some parts of the list to no end!

I'll try to recite the list from memory ....

10. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

9. Tony Stuwart

8. Sterling Marin

7. Darryl Waltrip

6. Dale Jarrett

5. Mark Martin

4. Rusty Wallace

3. Jeff Gordon

2. Richard Petty

1. Dale Earnhardt (Sr.)

Okay .... first things first .... I too was devistated by the 2001 tragidy in which Dale Earnhardt lost his life .... but ... call me insensitive if you want ... but you can't use that tragic event to give him the number 1 spot ... I loved earnhardt just as much as the next guy ... but as far as overall accomplishments go he falls way short of what Richard Petty did.... I know its just fox playing the drama card to stir up everyone's emotions ... and I loved Earnhardt just as much as the next guy ..... but common Petty accomplished far more (200 wins!!!!)... anyone who knows racing and its roots knows this.

My other major gripe is where the hell is Bill Elliot on his list?!? the guy was voted most popular driver for something like 10 or 15 straight years ... won the winson million .. was one of the most dominant racers out there for the greater part of the 80s... he was one HELL Of a lot more significant than .. Sterling Marlin .. don't you think???

Tony Stuwart and Dale Jr. might be successful so far .... but common ... where's Cale Yarborough!? where's Ned Jarrett?!? where's Fireball Roberts?? where's Bobby Allison?!? all of these guys are more diserving of being mentioned on this list ...

Anyway this list pissed me off to no end!

It's typical of any best all time list. The more recent the guy, the higher the ranking. It's just a list by a website, you shouldn't take it so serious.

the poll is done by media that probably half don't even fallow NASCAR. They just look back at the past 5 years to make the list or top money winners of all time. Oh and don't worry about Senior in about 5-8 years Gordon will be #1.

its just sad how little about the actual sport they are covering that the media knows. I mean I'm not a Nascar expert ... heck I'm from Canada how much could I possibly know about Nascar :) hehe but seriously ... if they are going to tell us who's the best at something .... they need to look at the big picture .. not be so shortsighted ... and not insult the audiences intelligence and act like they aren't going to know the difference.

I agree with whats been said so far and I'll add that people who do lists like this like the flash and glamour that people like junior offer. I think guys like Yarborough, Pearson, and even Terry Labonte deserve to be on here before Little E, Marlin, and Stewert. They all won multiple championships and were good for just as long as the newer drivers have been.

Heres a list of the 50 greatest that I agree with a lot more that foxsports.

http://www.nascar.com/kyn/history/drivers/index.html

Dale Jr shouldn't be on the list and Yarborough should be #3. He may not be the best driver, but he is the father of the current nascar circuit with draft driving.

I do think you can make an argument that Dale Sr could be better then Petty. Dale Sr raced in a time when there was much more competition. Look at his more senior days when he raced in the early 90's, a top 30 finish was a milestone. Earnhardt was still winning when he passed away.

I've only become mildly interested in NASCAR in the past couple of years, but Richard Petty is #1 .. & it's not even close. I can buy Earnhardt as #2. After that, I'd put Waltrip, Yarborough, & Gordon in the Top 5.

The poll was done by Fox Sports ! Do I really need to say anything else.

This from the network who brought us such quality programming as The Best Damn Sports Show... when after the brawl at the Palace, had 3 of the 4 hosts not only condoning but praising Ron Artest for his actions. Bryan Cox said he would "hit a child if he didn't see who threw the cup at him".

I can honestly say that I haven't watched 5 minutes of that God awful station in 6 months.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

Where's Dick Trickle?!:shocked:

If it was an espn poll it would have looked like this.

10. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

9. Tony Stuwart

8. Sterling Marin

7. Darryl Waltrip

6. Dale Jarrett

5. Mark Martin

4. Rusty Wallace

3. Jeff Gordon

2. Richard Petty

1. Dale Earnhardt (Sr.)

and in 33rd, Dick Trickle.

For the love of Cool Ranch Doritos, It's Tony STEWART. I have seen it spelled wrong by 3 different people in this thread. Don't mean to be the spelling jackass but he's my driver so I feel I need to intervene.:classic: