Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

You planning on watching any of the All-Star festivities

Quite honestly I'm not going out of my way to watch them. If I turn the TV on and there's nothing else on I may watch, but really that's my view.

Anyone here really looking forward to anything?

Originally posted by DTroppens

Quite honestly I'm not going out of my way to watch them. If I turn the TV on and there's nothing else on I may watch, but really that's my view.

Anyone here really looking forward to anything?

Nope. Will be watching Daytona sunday afternoon immediately followed by a Texas Hold Em Tournament at my house. Will probably be on in the background but I know one person who won't be paying attention.

And Saturday night, I am taking the wife out on a real honest to God date. Not quite so easy when you have 2 little ones under 3 years old.

I was in the car last night during the early festivities, and the announcers were talking between the action. They were discussing which would be a better matchup, Detroit v San Antonio or Miami v SA. The one guy said that Detroit v SA left Tim Duncan with no one to really guard or guard him and that they would tear us up. Then he said that Miami poses a much bigger threat than Detroit because of Shaq.

First off, I don't really care what some tool on the radio said. But I couldn't believe he would actually insinuate that Detroit couldn't gaurd Tim Duncan. Is this guy paying attention? Also, didn't the Pistons show the world that you don't have to double Shaq or hack him to beat him? These national people still aren't paying attention.

Originally posted by mtdman

I was in the car last night during the early festivities, and the announcers were talking between the action. They were discussing which would be a better matchup, Detroit v San Antonio or Miami v SA. The one guy said that Detroit v SA left Tim Duncan with no one to really guard or guard him and that they would tear us up. Then he said that Miami poses a much bigger threat than Detroit because of Shaq.

First off, I don't really care what some tool on the radio said. But I couldn't believe he would actually insinuate that Detroit couldn't gaurd Tim Duncan. Is this guy paying attention? Also, didn't the Pistons show the world that you don't have to double Shaq or hack him to beat him? These national people still aren't paying attention.

The Pistons cant stop Duncan. Big deal, nobody else can either. But what the Pistons can do that other teams cant, is make life miserable for his teammates and lock down on them and not allow them to beat them.

I've loved all star Saturday since I was a little kid and I watch it every year, EVERY YEAR, and I've gotta say it was the best dunk contest BY FAR since Vince Carter hung from the rim by his elbow. The point guard skills challenge is very under-rated too. This was the first year though that the three point contest absolutely blew, but even that came down to the last rack of balls.

BTW-- What's everyone's opinion of Charles Barkley as an "analyst"....I personally think there is no guy in any sport on any TV studio show even close to as great as Chuck. I hated him as a player but he is downright freaking hillarious!!!! He said to Steve Kerr last night "No offense Steve, but if you couldn't shoot a basketball there'd be no reason for you to be alive!"

Originally posted by kpking3032

BTW-- What's everyone's opinion of Charles Barkley as an "analyst"....I personally think there is no guy in any sport on any TV studio show even close to as great as Chuck. I hated him as a player but he is downright freaking hillarious!!!! He said to Steve Kerr last night "No offense Steve, but if you couldn't shoot a basketball there'd be no reason for you to be alive!"

He also hates the Pistons with a passion. He had this to say:

Originally posted by TigersMeow79

Ok Charles Barkley just went on one of the most ridiculous tangents I have ever seen/heard. He said the Pistons are nothing but a mediocre team not only this year but last year. They barely beat Indiana and NJ and lucked into facing and old Lakers team. He said the Lakers will come back in the 2nd half because the Pistons just really don't have it. Include his point if the Pistons faced Malone, Payton, Shaq and Kobe when they were all in their 20's the Pistons would have no chance at all. :confused:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24981

I can't say I have a lot of respect for what he thinks.

One of the TNT announcers, maybe Collins, just said that he thinks it's great that teams that are playing well are being rewarded with multiple players in the All Star game. He named the Sonics and Wizards. I wonder how he'd explain the Champs, with a better record than the Wizards, having one representative. (Not that I'm complaining, I'll take the trophy.)

You just have to remember that as far as the NBA is concerned, the Pistons winning is the worst thing that can happen. It's a team with no flair, no offensive superstar, and is defensive minded. Marketing brash, larger than life, freaks of nature is much easier than marketing hard work, teamwork, selflessness, and class. Just a fact of life.

Back to the All-Star game, anyone notice that Ben looks a lot like Darko out there? He's playing in a type of game he has no idea how to play. He just stands around and runs up and down the court. It's a testament to how good he is that he gets chosen for these games but I'd prefer if Rip or Smooth went. Those guys have the game to really shine in an All-Star game, particularly Rip. Can you imagine how well he'd do with all the open looks you know he'd get in a game with no defense. He'd tear it up.

Ben did look a little lost out there, and didn't look quite right scoring last night.

I dislike Barkley as a player and an analyst. All he does is say stupid and outrageous things to get buzz talk about himself. I'd like it if he shut up and disappeared.

:D

Originally posted by DaBishop

You just have to remember that as far as the NBA is concerned, the Pistons winning is the worst thing that can happen. It's a team with no flair, no offensive superstar, and is defensive minded. Marketing brash, larger than life, freaks of nature is much easier than marketing hard work, teamwork, selflessness, and class. Just a fact of life.

Back to the All-Star game, anyone notice that Ben looks a lot like Darko out there? He's playing in a type of game he has no idea how to play. He just stands around and runs up and down the court. It's a testament to how good he is that he gets chosen for these games but I'd prefer if Rip or Smooth went. Those guys have the game to really shine in an All-Star game, particularly Rip. Can you imagine how well he'd do with all the open looks you know he'd get in a game with no defense. He'd tear it up.

I know, I was thinking about how the NBA must really fear a Spurs - Pistons finals. In fact, the entire basketball world outside of Texas and Michigan might fear that match up and what it will do to ratings.

Ben did look, as he usually does in an All Star game...out of place. I didn't watch it from buzzer to buzzer but when I was watching I was hoping that he would get at least one mammoth rejection that he sent into the 20th row or so. Just as kind of his signature.

I was happy that Iverson got the MVP. For whatever reason I have always liked the guy and as he gets older it seems his better qualities are more and more on display.