TigersMeow79

Is this the show me year for Tram?

Lots can happen through the year but if this team stays relatively healthy and with the current roster they have constructed is this the year we finally see what Tram can and cannot do?

If Tram has another season where they get 70 wins it might be time to reconsider things and get a proven manager. Tram now has more talent than Garner ever had to work with.

I think its all relative to his performance. If he does a good job managing, but the team struggles with injuries and they have a 70 win season, he merits another year. But if he doesn't do a good job managing, his job could possibly be in jeopardy.

I don't see it happening though. I think management likes him enough that he will stick around.

If we can stay reasonably healthy, then yes, I believe it is a big season for Alan Trammell. Though in hindsight, he might actually have to manage a lot less this year. In the past he has had to hold a clubhouse together that was part of the worst team in baseball history(which he did for the most part) and last season he he was given talent to work with and showed that he could handle managing big names and future hall-of-famers(Ivan Rodriguez) AND keep potential free-agents once they are here(Carlos Guillen). This season, IF HEALTHY(we're going to get tired of typing this this season), the line-up and the rotation could basically manage themselves and there will be a lot less teaching that needs to be done(if we find a veteran CF).

I would say his job is safe, but if they win less than 70 games he'll probably be canned. Of course, you could say the same thing about 90% of the MLB managers.

I suspect that the front office looks at things like how he handles players in the clubhouse, how he handles the media, how well he works with DD, etc. as much as his in game decisions. Fans are usually most interested in the in game decisions because that is what they see but that isn't necessarily how he'll be judged by the Tigers. It's really hard to know what's going on behind the scenes but I sense that the Tigers like him and would like him to stay for a while. I haven't sensed any problems between him and DD and a lot of times those types of things leak out.

At the same time, I think there would have to be some performance standards. If the Tigers stay healthy and they don't improve from last year, he might be in danger. It's going to be difficult for them to dump him though. Unless the season is a major disappointment, I don't see it happening.

There's no way in hell there going to dump Tram after this year. It's stupid to even think about.

Originally posted by TigersMeow79

Lots can happen through the year but if this team stays relatively healthy and with the current roster they have constructed is this the year we finally see what Tram can and cannot do?

If Tram has another season where they get 70 wins it might be time to reconsider things and get a proven manager. Tram now has more talent than Garner ever had to work with.

Unless Trammell really blows it this season, he'll be around in '06. He's really had to do some juggling in his two seasons as manager, and I'm not really sure that his first season should count against him to begin with.

A lot of people complain about how he handled the bullpen last season and how that led to "x" amount of wins. But with the way the 'pen performed, how could anyone have managed it?

If the team stays healthy he clearly has more to work with this year. I think it's fair to say entering the season he can be more honestly evaluated than in the past years.

I don't think Tram will go anyone unless he really lost control of the team or a healthy team way way underachieves,. I think he is here for a long Sparky Anderson like tenure.

There are so many things to consider. I think some things of his need to be reworked (ie: time off and bunting), but many situations arise that define coaches, and how he handles those, if they occur this year, will tell his future. Let's keep in mind that it is not much HE can do to develop the rotation, or much HE can do to avoid the injury bug that seems to take a larger chunk out of our skin than most teams. He is a players' coach, he will keep the team together, and that is important with a developing (not rebuilding) team. If he can keep morale high and play a shade better than last year, he has done a great job.

that Tram believes EVERY year is a "show me" year. I always liked that about him. Still do.

My gut says his job is safe. But if this team stays healthy & doesn't win more than 72, my head says his job should be in jeopardy.

I say, Tram is around for at least 3-4 more years, pretty much - no matter what.

I think the big guy likes him, and that's that.

Mark My Words when I say - Tram will QUIT before he is fired!!!

I wouldn't say no matter what, but I agree that Illitch likes the guy, and I could see Trammell pulling a Sparky here in Detroit. The next owner of the Tigs will go a long way in dictating how long Trammell will be kept around, if he is an outsider who is looking at the Tigs as a business entity, Tram could be booted after one bad season, however if he is a local multi-millionaire and avid Tiger fan, Tram could be around for the long haul. before moving up to the front office and becoming a life long Tiger like Kaline.

I agree with Tigers337, that the decisions of the manager on the field are secondary in many reguards. Trammell proved a lot of his worth in the 40 win season when he kept the team together, and kept them playing hard right to the last game and made sure they kept their heads up as people. Trammell is learning on the job as a game manager and will make his mistakes, but I think he is bright enough a baseball mind to become a good manager, a guy who is a student of the game can't help but learn quite a few things after being around Sparky Anderson for so many years.

You have to say this about Trammel...no one from that 2002 team imploded after such a horrible season. Every player took it in stride and made improvements the following year.

That said, if this team fails to win 70 games he might be on the chopping block.

Originally posted by Shaggy Ry

[bI agree with Tigers337, that the decisions of the manager on the field are secondary in many reguards.

I dissagree. It's all about winning.

There was a lot of doubt about Tram last year. With the new additions, he has to put a winner on the field this year or I think he's a goner.

Originally posted by tater6

There was a lot of doubt about Tram last year.

By who though?

Originally posted by tater6

I dissagree. It's all about winning.

There was a lot of doubt about Tram last year. With the new additions, he has to put a winner on the field this year or I think he's a goner.

That's just absurd.