zachcadillac

Greisinger To Start Friday Night?

I don't want to spread rumors, but the Tigers' official website (not the MB, where there's all sorts of wild speculation) has Seth Greisinger listed as Friday night's scheduled starter. Friday would normally be Lima's turn in the rotation, as he last started Sunday.

I guess I can't argue with removing Lima from the rotation -- he's had only one decent start out of four, and the Tigers probably want to see Greisinger in action to determine how far along he is in the recovery process.

Thoughts?

For now........

Old Tiger-Bad

New(er) Tiger-Good.

Seth-newer-good.

Bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. This group is a sad bunch. I'll be anxious to see how he throws after 2 years of inactivity.

Tigers bring up Greisinger

April 24, 2002

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Righty Seth Greisinger will be called up from Double-A Erie by the Detroit Tigers after missing almost three years because of injuries.

Greisinger will start for Detroit against Minnesota on Friday night in place of Jose Lima, who is being sent to the bullpen. Tigers manager Luis Pujols said Wednesday that a move to make room for Greisinger on the roster would be announced Friday.

Greisinger was 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA for Erie. He did not pitch at all in 2000 or 2001 after undergoing ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow in June 1999.

``The report I got is that he was throwing the ball very well, good changeup, keeping the ball down and working ahead of the hitters,'' Pujols said. ``So we're going to take a shot with him up here.''

Lima is 1-2 with a 12.15 ERA and has been inconsistent with what he has described as a ``tired arm.''.

``Lima's arm is not there 100 percent yet,'' Pujols said. ``Our goal is to get it stronger and back to where he wants to be. His arm's a little weak. This way he doesn't have to worry about pitching every five days. We want to build his strength back.

``He told me he don't feel 100 percent.''

I checked his stats the other day and thought WOW - his stats are looking really good!

I hope this guy comes in and mows them down. If he doesn't, it's still an incredible comeback for a pitcher who once really had it together and was a future star. Hopefully he can pick up right where he left off.

What's the time line on Brian Moehler? Nate Cornejo needs to get time in the bullpen. He proved last season that he has the pitches to make him a successful pitcher, its his head that needs work. I believe a trip to the minors will probably do more harm than good, as it will just further his confidence problem and won't do anything to get his head in the right place. Maybe coming out of the bullpen in long relief won't cause him to put too much pressure on himself and once he proves to himself that he belongs he can head back to the rotation.

Hey Todd and mattie... I told you so :)

I really really hope Seth can get it together. I remember watching him pitch in Tigers Stadium and he was pretty good altho the Tigers lost that game.

Hey Todd and mattie... I told you so

so maybe you were right. FOR NOW. but i think if jose gets some time in the pen his arm will be back to normal and he will start again. that's IF he does good coming in out of the pen.

i heard that moe could be back starting for detroit around the all-star break.

If we could get the same Brian Moehler we've always had, it would be a huge step. Maybe it's just perception but it seems like you could always count on him to go 7 innings and give up 4 runs or less every time out.

Yeah it's just perception, but Moehler was a great source of league average (or a little better) innings, and he was a workhorse. Any team can use a guy like him in the middle of the rotation.

As for Seth, his K/BB numbers in the minors so far have been excellent and seeing as neither Redman nor Lima has exactly been setting the world on fire it seems like a good idea to at least see what he can do. As long as he is getting regular work it we might as well see what he can do. I'd hate to see him end up as the long reliever though.