Sign in to follow this  
IdahoBert

Millions turn out to salute Red Sox for a season to remember

Thank you

By Brian MacQuarrie, Globe Staff | October 31, 2004

After 86 years of legendary heartbreak, long-jilted Red Sox Nation found sweet release yesterday in a massive victory parade that turned crowded old Boston into a canyon of deafening euphoria.

Millions of people, the largest crowd ever to gather in the city, cheered their heroes by land and by water in a sustained howl of joy that stretched from Fenway Park, through downtown, and onto the Charles River in Duck Tour boats.

The world championship team, giddy and playful, responded in kind. Pedro Martinez danced. David Ortiz pointed at fans. Johnny Damon flashed the peace sign. Keith Foulke videotaped the spectacle. And Manny Ramirez held a fan-written sign about shortstop Derek Jeter of the archrival New York Yankees.

''Jeter is playing golf today," the sign read. ''This is better."

The drizzle-spattered route featured delirious cheering, ear-to-ear smiles, and outstretched hands. The crowd jammed shoulder-to-shoulder, sometimes as many as 100 deep, behind 30,000 feet of steel barricades along the 3-mile land route.

But despite the unprecedented numbers and a mass transit system stressed to the limit, the parade proceeded smoothly. By early evening, only 20 arrests had been reported.

Gone, it seemed, were the frustration and resignation of 86 seasons past. The emotion of the day was full-throated exhilaration, and none of the fans were holding back.

''All is Forgiven" read a sign held on Cambridge Street by Army Lieutenant Colonel Al Bazzinotti, 42, of Dedham. Bazzinotti and Todd Darling, 42, of Charlton, kept a pact they had made 10 years ago to celebrate a world title.

They attached two brooms to the sign, which they toted up and down the street, to symbolize the four-game World Series sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.

The parade route was lined with screaming fans from its beginnings near Fenway Park.

They stood 20 deep on the sidewalks after the 10:15 a.m. start, swelling to 50, 75, and 100 deep as the motorcade crept past the Prudential Center, Boston Common, and Government Center. The effect was peaceful pandemonium.

Fans stood on rooftops, climbed traffic lights, leaned out of high-rise apartments, and sat on windowsills to improve their view. The throng spanned all ages, as infants in strollers and grandparents in wheelchairs found places in a bobbing sea of red.

''My Dad lived for this," a sign read near the foot of Charles Street. The poster, which included a picture of the fan's father and his lifespan -- Nov. 26, 1925 to March 10, 2004 -- poignantly encapsulated the deep, cross-generation bonds that bind the team to New England.

''Our (late) parents and grandparents thank you," another sign read.

Pauline and Peter Lorden of Shrewsbury, who watched the parade near Park Street Station, said the experience was bittersweet.

For much of the last week, they said, each has thought about how happy the world championship would have made their deceased fathers. ''It's emotional," Peter Lorden said. ''I really wish he was here to see this."

Late yesterday afternoon, police said they had reports of 63 injuries, 20 requiring a hospital visit. Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who watched the parade near Tremont and Boylston streets, praised the crowd's good behavior.

The city estimated the crowd at 3.2 million, based on the depth of the crowd and the length of the route, and said the estimate took into account that many fans left Boylston Street and went to watch the procession a second time when it passed by on the Charles River.

An MBTA spokesman said 1 million used the transit system -- a projection based on observations at stations and a count of vehicles entering T parking lots and garages.

The mayor's office reconciled the discrepancy by saying many walked to the parade or came into the city by car.

In an effort to avoid large disturbances, city officials decided not to stage a post-motorcade rally at City Hall. Instead, the Charles River leg was added to the land route to enable more people to view the parade.

While the Duck Tour boats were in the water, near the Longfellow Bridge, Martinez was struck in the forehead by a ball thrown from the Boston side of the river. He appeared stunned but not seriously injured, witnesses said.

As much as the celebration connected fans to their long-suffering past, the motorcade also allowed them a savor-the-moment chance to acknowledge this team's special season and the day's special moment of triumph. In Boston's long history, never have so many smiles been seen on so many.

Most fans waited hours for a moment that, in the end, was merely a glimpse of the team. But few seemed disappointed. In one electric moment at Government Center, Santa Lopez, 37, made eye contact with slugger David Ortiz, who pointed at her with both index fingers while she played a guira, a musical instrument from their native Dominican Republic.

''I feel crazy!" Lopez, a preschool teacher from Boston, said after the boat carrying Ortiz passed.

The excitement was no less pronounced along the Charles River, where the Duck Tour boats extended the parade in a round-trip excursion from the Museum of Science to the Massachusetts Avenue bridge that passed spectators on the Esplanade and along Memorial Drive in Cambridge.

Before the boats arrived, a bagpiper marched up and down the Massachusetts Avenue bridge playing ''Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

A school-age boy strolled the length of the bridge, high-fiving everyone and yelling, ''Go Sox." Several cars blasted ''Dirty Water," the Sox's unofficial victory song, from their speakers.

The parade drew Red Sox supporters from all over the country. John Mulcave, 48, a Winchester native, flew from Colorado with his son Patrick, 14, after buying tickets as soon as the Red Sox won the World Series. Patrick was missing an honors society induction for the parade, said Mulcave, who added: ''You've got to get your priorities straight."

Jarrad Plante, 22, of Dighton, flew to Boston on Saturday from Mississippi, where he is logging a year with AmeriCorps. His late grandfather, he said, was a diehard Red Sox fan.

''He would have done the same thing if he were me, and that is why I'm here," said Plante, attired in jean shorts, a gray Red Sox T-shirt, and sandals that he said he had worn for three weeks.

At Boylston Street and Massachusetts Avenue, Joseph Abramoff and Matthew Manning, 23-year-old buddies who had grown up in Worcester, settled in after leaving Pennsylvania at 2 a.m. Anticipating Halloween, they wore matching, self-inflating sumo-wrestler costumes -- one marked to represent Ortiz, the other, Ramirez.

''This," Abramoff said, ''is the best day of our lives."

Near them, 5-foot-1 Allison Bogosian stretched on her tiptoes and jumped to view the parade. She's 29, a lifelong Red Sox fan who grew up in Needham and lives in Stamford, Conn.

When she wore a Red Sox cap to a bar there to watch the final playoff game against the New York Yankees, she had to sign a waiver that absolved management of responsibility in case she were injured.

''I saved it to frame," she said.

As the Duck Tour boats slipped out of sight down Boylston Street, many fans headed down Massachusetts Avenue to watch the parade again from the banks of the Charles River.

Some fans smoked victory cigars. A number of revelers masked their celebratory cocktails in oversize Red Sox mugs, paper coffee cups, and brown bags.

About 1 p.m., when the first of the boats maneuvered past the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Storrow Drive, the bridge erupted in a show of flashbulbs and flailing arms.

One middle-aged man trumpeted his joy with a 3-foot plastic bugle. Others cried out the names of their favorite players: pitcher Curt Schilling, Ortiz, and Martinez.

In the end, the emotional parade was a catharsis. Celebration and forgiveness. Ecstasy for the team's accomplishment and self-congratulation for years of frustrating fidelity.

As Remi Browne, 51, of Manchester-by-the-Sea, said: ''I'm letting go of a lot of baggage, a lot of bitterness. I feel like I want to see Grady Little, I want to see Bill Buckner, and I want to apologize to them."

Originally posted by IdahoBert

''Jeter is playing golf today," the sign read. ''This is better."

''My Dad lived for this," a sign read near the foot of Charles Street. The poster, which included a picture of the fan's father and his lifespan -- Nov. 26, 1925 to March 10, 2004...

...Remi Browne, 51, of Manchester-by-the-Sea, said: "I feel like I want to see Grady Little, I want to see Bill Buckner, and I want to apologize to them."

My favorites.

Let's see....

The Red Sox finally win the World Series, and they have to carry an anti-yankee sign on the float?

Along with "Jeter Sucks Arod" t-shirts?

Who did the Sox beat in the WS ?

It was the Cards....

Go ahead and tell me again how Red Sox players and fans don't obsess on the Yankees?

I defy you to find any footage of any of the Yankee parades where a Yankee player was carrying any sign disrespecting either the Red Sox team, or any of their WS rivals.

Message to Red Sox players: You're champions. Why not act like it?

I posted this somewhere else but I'll bet that Peter Gammons' wife has that same ridiculous smile on her face as Bob the Enzyte guy's wife.

Originally posted by smr-nj

Let's see....

The Red Sox finally win the World Series, and they have to carry an anti-yankee sign on the float?

Along with "Jeter Sucks Arod" t-shirts?

Who did the Sox beat in the WS ?

It was the Cards....

Go ahead and tell me again how Red Sox players and fans don't obsess on the Yankees?

I defy you to find any footage of any of the Yankee parades where a Yankee player was carrying any sign disrespecting either the Red Sox team, or any of their WS rivals.

Message to Red Sox players: You're champions. Why not act like it?

What a sore loser... The Yankees have 26 World Championships you can't let these people off the hook and go wild when they win only ONE crummy World Series in 86 years? Too bad all the "class" garnered from winning--did I say 26 World Championships?-- didn't stop Yankee fans from chanting "Who's your daddy" at Pedro in the 7th game. They had the chance to show the world that they too were wittnesses to one of the most extraordinary feats in sports history, but they couldn't restrain themselves from one last cheap shot.

What a joke.

No, sorry, but I am not a sore loser.

I just maintain that allowing those signs, and t-shirts to be prominently displayed on a WS parade float is stupid, and players ought to have better judgement than that.

And to compare the "who's your daddy" chants is silly.

Pedro himself provided that quote ! lol.

Fans chanted it..... not the Yankee players

To compare that to a homophobic disgusting t-shirt being displayed on a float..... to compare that to a Red Sox player holding up a poster that disses an opponent by name.....

sorry, just doesn't hold water.

What a joke.

No, sorry, but I am not a sore loser.

I just maintain that allowing those signs, and t-shirts to be prominently displayed on a WS parade float is stupid, and players ought to have better judgement than that.

And to compare the "who's your daddy" chants is silly.

Pedro himself provided that quote ! lol.

Fans chanted it..... not the Yankee players

To compare that to a homophobic disgusting t-shirt being displayed on a float..... to compare that to a Red Sox player holding up a poster that disses an opponent by name.....

sorry, just doesn't hold water.

Why is this important to you ? The Red Sox beat the Yankees. The Red Sox are World Champions for the first time in 86 years. That's all that matters. So a few of the Red Sox players acted immature. Who cares ? You don't know any of these people.

The Red Sox beat the Yankees and are finally World Champs. Get over it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me....These guys are human and are allowed to act like it. Maybe it wasn't the most appropriate of actions, but it's a non-issue....like Lee said...get over it!

Originally posted by tiger337

Why is this important to you ? The Red Sox beat the Yankees. The Red Sox are World Champions for the first time in 86 years. That's all that matters. So a few of the Red Sox players acted immature. Who cares ? You don't know any of these people.

The Red Sox beat the Yankees and are finally World Champs. Get over it.

WTF is with the "get over it" bull ?

I was on this site immediately after the WS, congratulating the Sox and their fans on a well - deserved victory.

I've said they were the better team.

I've NEVER said differently here.... so what the f is with the "get over it" comment to me?

Am I not allowed to object to / comment on what I viewed as bad taste during the Red Sox parade because I'm a Yankee fan?

I know Red Sox fans who I've spoken to as recently as this morning who were embarassed by that display.

But I have to hear this crap here ??

I think I've earned the right to have my comments respected, and not told to "get over it" as if I've been slamming the Sox and their fans on their victory.

Holy mackarel.

YOU get over it.

Originally posted by IdahoBert

Several cars blasted ''Dirty Water," the Sox's unofficial victory song, from their speakers.

I love that song. It's so simple and unsophisticated that any garage band could have written and performed it, but the drummer gives it a jungle sound that was kind of unusual.

I think I missed the part about the Jeter/A-Rod shirts being on the float. The only thing I read about was the "Jeter playing golf" sign.

The Red Sox shook two monkeys off their back by winning this WS. The first is that they aren't the Yankees ***** anymore and that justifies having a fan made anti-Yankee sign make it up on the float.

Much ado about nothing.

I think I've earned the right to have my comments respected

Did I miss a memo that established that disagreeing with someones opinion in a discussion forum meant you were disrespecting them....

Personally, you just look like a Red Sox fan from the last 80 years...grasping at straws and looking for something to complain about....

Originally posted by Microline133

Did I miss a memo that established that disagreeing with someones opinion in a discussion forum meant you were disrespecting them....

Personally, you just look like a Red Sox fan from the last 80 years...grasping at straws and looking for something to complain about....

Thanks for the sarcasm.

Greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the respect shown to me. Oh wait, there wasn't any.

To respond to your comment:

No, disagreeing with someone's opinion in a discussion forum doesn't mean you are disrespecting them.

However, following my post was not a rebuttal, but I was immediately called a "sore loser".

I was then twice told to "get over it".

What exactly did I do to deserve that?

What exactly did I do to deserve that?

Whether it was deserved or not, it was someones opinion that you needed to move past it; just like it was your opinion that the sign and shirts were in bad taste. Like Biff said...it's really much ado about nothing...It's not worth a pissing match...

But, I would like to know which players had the shirts on though, because I was there from start to finished and saw every duck boat go by....I didn't see one player with that type of shirt on.

Originally posted by Microline133

Whether it was deserved or not, it was someones opinion that you needed to move past it; just like it was your opinion that the sign and shirts were in bad taste. Like Biff said...it's really much ado about nothing...It's not worth a pissing match...

But, I would like to know which players had the shirts on though, because I was there from start to finished and saw every duck boat go by....I didn't see one player with that type of shirt on.

I've re-read my replies, and I'm fairly certain that no where in there did I say the players were wearing the t-shirts.

They were draped over the floats.

They were on the Pedro float, in particular.

As far as moving past it..... I don't really care if people think my thoughts/replies are wrong, or want to reply to them.

However, you may notice that I haven't, nor will I call another member a name. I won't call them "a sore loser".

I'm trying to figure out why people are of the opinion that it's fair game to call names?

Disagree with my replies/opinions all you want.

But what's with the personal stuff?

What's with the "sore loser"

What's with the "sour grapes"

What's with the "get over it"

I make that distinction - disagreeing with an opinion, as opposed to being disrespectful to the person themselves.

I guess I question why other people do not.

Apologizes to all for hi-jacking this thread.

Apology to Lee for using the "f-bomb".

I'll refrain from posting.

Obviously I am a sore loser, a bad sport, and need to get over it.

ummmmmmmm.....That was rather....ummmmmmmm.....

Never mind. I did want to ask a question though...Why did the Yankee's fans start yelling "Who's your daddy" at Pedro? That one went right over my head.:dead:

Originally posted by BiggieG

ummmmmmmm.....That was rather....ummmmmmmm.....

Never mind. I did want to ask a question though...Why did the Yankee's fans start yelling "Who's your daddy" at Pedro? That one went right over my head.:dead:

Because after a loss to the Yankees in the regular season, Pedro said in an interview that the Yankees have been his daddy.

In Sue's defense, I don't see how it was sour grapes on her part. It was an observation. I don't agree with it because I think it was boys being boys and blowing off 86 years of frustration. The Red Sox "Idiots" aren't expected to act with the professionalism that the Yankees under Torre are. Just my two cents.

I can see Sue's point. It's almost like Boston still isn't over it. Sort of like Michigan State fans not caring about how their team does overall as long ast hey beat Michigan that year. and I say that as someone who usually roots against Michigian a lot.

One of the best parts about being World Champs is that you don't have to worry about the other teams anymore.

I think the Bosox are still too hung up over Yankees ... i think the world series was Anti-climatic to alot red sox fans

Apologizes to all for hi-jacking this thread.

Apology to Lee for using the "f-bomb".

I'll refrain from posting.

Obviously I am a sore loser, a bad sport, and need to get over it.

I didn't even notice any f-bomb. I do remember you congratulating the Red Sox. You aren't a sore loser. just a party pooper. :cheeky:

WTF is with the "get over it" bull ?

I was on this site immediately after the WS, congratulating the Sox and their fans on a well - deserved victory.

I've said they were the better team.

I've NEVER said differently here.... so what the f is with the "get over it" comment to me?

Am I not allowed to object to / comment on what I viewed as bad taste during the Red Sox parade because I'm a Yankee fan?

I know Red Sox fans who I've spoken to as recently as this morning who were embarassed by that display.

But I have to hear this crap here ??

I think I've earned the right to have my comments respected, and not told to "get over it" as if I've been slamming the Sox and their fans on their victory.

Holy mackarel.

YOU get over it.

Nice... Reminds me of the arguments I had with my younger brother when I was six...

Gee, Sue et.al., I didn't mean to get everyone all riled up...all I wanted to do was post an article about a wonderful celebration, of people of all ages rejoicing, of old people living to see something they'd dreamed of, of people remembering their parents fondly and wishing they had lived to see the this event--and all Sue could say was the most negative thing possible. In context it looked like being a sore loser; perhaps I shouldn't try to read what's in people's hearts...

Originally posted by Oblong

I can see Sue's point. It's almost like Boston still isn't over it. Sort of like Michigan State fans not caring about how their team does overall as long ast hey beat Michigan that year. and I say that as someone who usually roots against Michigian a lot.

One of the best parts about being World Champs is that you don't have to worry about the other teams anymore.

Yep.