Lucky_Luciano

????????

Great question because that was our biggest problem last season. Hopefully, getting back Spurling and Rodney will help right off the bat.

Hopefully they aren't counting on Spurling and Rodney to fix the bullpen.

Even if we don't get a group of relievers, I expect our bullpen will be improved if we sign a starter or two, as that will push one of our starters into the pen. Either way, it will be interesting to see what they do with the bullpen in the offseason.

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

I wouldn't expect Spurling or Rodney to even be ready by opening day. Weren't they both facing long rehab?

Not necessarily long rehab....but rehab none-the-less. Rehab from TJ surgery is becoming more refined and I wouldn't be surprised if both are at the very least pitching at full strength in spring training. They may not be ready control wise (control is usually the last skill to return) by opening day, so they may have to start the minors, but I would expect to see them pitching in either Toledo or Detroit in April....

Craig Monroe will be traded to the Rockies for Shawn Chacon. Tigers will realize that there is probably some redundancy with Monroe and Thames, and neither are great long-term options for a corner OF spot. Rockies will realize that Monroe will be able to match Jeremy Burnitz-type numbers in Coors at a fraction of the price.

Tigers like Chacon's arm--realize that he just pitched in an awful park that has eaten up many good pitchers and will bring him on board as either a rotation candidate, or a bullpen arm.

Originally posted by Cult of Guillen

Tigers like Chacon's arm--realize that he just pitched in an awful park that has eaten up many good pitchers and will bring him on board as either a rotation candidate, or a bullpen arm.

And hopefully the Tigers realize that his arm has proven to be very fragile throughout his career and they stay away from him.....

The Tigers have until the end of next week to decide on Urbina, and I would guess they would pick up the option. I saw Spurling pitch when I was in Florida, so he should be good to go for Spring Training.

Originally posted by OU98

The Tigers have until the end of next week to decide on Urbina, and I would guess they would pick up the option. I saw Spurling pitch when I was in Florida, so he should be good to go for Spring Training.

But what about the Venezuala situation? They still haven't found the guy's mom. Won't that be a pretty big distraction?

Or does Illitch play the good guy and pick it up regardless?

Originally posted by Cult of Guillen

Craig Monroe will be traded to the Rockies for Shawn Chacon. Tigers will realize that there is probably some redundancy with Monroe and Thames, and neither are great long-term options for a corner OF spot. Rockies will realize that Monroe will be able to match Jeremy Burnitz-type numbers in Coors at a fraction of the price.

Sidenote: That'd make the fantasy value of both of these players at least double.

Originally posted by Buddha

But what about the Venezuala situation? They still haven't found the guy's mom. Won't that be a pretty big distraction?

Or does Illitch play the good guy and pick it up regardless?

That was one of the few questions I asked DD about when they were down there, and he told me that they had not thought about that angle as of yet (they could have by now, though), so I would guess there is a chance that the date to pick up the option could be pushed back, if it is agreed to by Urbina's representative.