Motor City Sonics

Chicago is on the clock.....

With 2 teams, Chicago has not won a World Series since 1917 and has not even seen a World Series game since 1959.

Curse of the Black Sox?

Curse of the Goat?

whatever.

I grew up halfway between Detroit and Chicago in NE Indiana. Detroit was 10 miles closer. I chose only on the basis of geography. God, am I glad I made that decision and that I could read a map. So what if they have the Bulls! Baseball rules!!

I'm surprised, really, that not too much has been made about the White Sox. Everytime you turn around, you hear about 1918 and the Goat Curse, but ChiSox haven't won a WS longer then the Red Sox!

I've got a good buddy who is a Sox and Tigers fan, and was dreading people bringing that up. I wasn't up on my MLB trivia, I thought the Sox won in '59.

Cleveland Indians are also a study in futility. Looking at the AL Central, the two most successful franchises are the Tigers and the Twins.

I was in Chicago in late July and the Tigers were playing there. So we went to the Saturday game (tigs lost on a 9th inning homer). I was with 15 other guys and a few of them were English and soccer hooligans. When the crowd started chanting "Detroit sucks", he started yelling things like "You haven't won since WWI" and "You guys cheated... I know, I saw Field of Dreams... Wankers!". It was pretty funny.

Originally posted by McGriff4Hall

I'm surprised, really, that not too much has been made about the White Sox. Everytime you turn around, you hear about 1918 and the Goat Curse, but ChiSox haven't won a WS longer then the Red Sox!

I think it's because the Red Sox have generally had a good team and came close so many times and also because they are archrivals of the team that usually wins. The White Sox have usually had mediocre teams and haven't come close very often.

Originally posted by Oblong

I was in Chicago in late July and the Tigers were playing there. So we went to the Saturday game (tigs lost on a 9th inning homer). I was with 15 other guys and a few of them were English and soccer hooligans. When the crowd started chanting "Detroit sucks", he started yelling things like "You haven't won since WWI" and "You guys cheated... I know, I saw Field of Dreams... Wankers!". It was pretty funny.

Great story!! Hooligans eh? Were they "ruffians" as well, or perhaps even "scallywags." :cheeky:

Not sure. They were "friends of friends". I tagged along for the outing. One guy was 75 years old and from Scotland. We went to CHicago to see Manchester United. Trevor sings the entire way to Soldier Field, not a word during the game, then at 3 am decides to serenade the hotel hallways with John Denver songs.

The White Sox, at least the last few seasons, have been plagued by "not quite there" syndrome - they've been able to field some solid teams that usually feature one big glaring weakness. The weakness - pitching, defense, Jerry Manuel, whatever - then proceeds to kill them all season long. You can pretty much figure out what's going to kill them by the middle of May, and once you figure that out there is really no point in watching them anymore.