TigerPride

Questions?

(1) Will Vina be back?

(2) Does Munson come back? Lots of power if he can get the avg. up. Would not hurt to keep him another season. Can sub at 3B & 1B and be the emergency 3rd Catcher. If Munson gets it together, would be a cheap DH replacement for Young after next season.

(3) Will Urbina be offered to come back?

(4) Will Jason Johnson go to the bullpen? He fades in the 2nd half, so the pen might be a natural move. Could he be the next closer?

(5) Can Monroe play decent CF?

(6) Is Sleeth far enough along that he could compete for the 5th starters spot?

1. No, I expect he'll retire or spend all 2005 on the 60-day DL

2. No. I think he may get signed somewhere else to be a DH.

3. Yes.

4. No. Johnson strikes me as having too big an ego to go to the pen (God alone knows why).

5. The way he hit in the 2nd half, lets hope so.

6. Wait 'till 2006 for Sleeth.

Originally posted by Mark The Shark

1. No, I expect he'll retire or spend all 2005 on the 60-day DL

What all have you heard on his status? I haven't heard anything for a long time, and I haven't heard anything to suggest that he'll still be hurt next season.

1. Will retire sometime over winter

2. Inge went from.195 to .285, give Munson another year, he has twice the power Inge has

3. Should be with our pen problems

4. Starter until mid year when one of the prospects is ready to impact

5. Monroe should be the CF for next year, he looked good enough with the glove to me. Batting 5th or 6th next year with 500-550 AB should see a 30/100 year out of him

6. Another year

Originally posted by Yoda

What all have you heard on his status? I haven't heard anything for a long time, and I haven't heard anything to suggest that he'll still be hurt next season.

Last I read, Vina was going to let his leg heal on its own instead of having surgery. They made it sound like surgery was iffy at best at his age and I can't imagine letting it heal by itself being any better. Maybe he'll be able to walk comfortably but play ML baseball again? I won't hold my breath.

Originally posted by TigerPride

(1) Will Vina be back?

(2) Does Munson come back? Lots of power if he can get the avg. up. Would not hurt to keep him another season. Can sub at 3B & 1B and be the emergency 3rd Catcher. If Munson gets it together, would be a cheap DH replacement for Young after next season.

(4) Will Jason Johnson go to the bullpen? He fades in the 2nd half, so the pen might be a natural move. Could he be the next closer?

1. I doubt it.

2. we can only hope he does. Inge is not going to repeat this past season ever again.

3. Only if they find his mom.

4. Depends on who they sign.

5. No way. A slow Sanchez.

6. Why rush him?

(1) Will Vina be back?

Very doubtful. I suspect he'll spend the next year on the DL, maybe making an appearence at ST, or maybe not even doing that. He probably won't retire officially until the end of next season unless the Tiger reach a buyout agreement with him, and frankly, why would he agree to anything less then everything??

A real question mark that I don't have an answer for. I still think he could make a respectable first baseman. There is no question he has the power. The big question is this: Can he get his average up with regular play? Can he play good enough defense at first to be an everyday player? I don't think Tram likes him very much for some reason, so I suspect he'll be gone, but I'll be sad if he leaves for nothing, and I think if he just get cut he'll be an 'example' player that people point too as a stupid move by DD.

Urbina did an decent job. He wasn't a hugely dominating closer, but he was effective for the most part. We don't have any other option at closer right now, in my opinion. Urbina will be back. We'll pay more than he's worth, but by biting the bullet on his contract it's one less position to worry about this off season.

Possible. I fear there is a chip on his shoulder, so we'll have to see how that all plays out. I'm not sure he'll feel content to be a bullpen guy. A closer, maybe.

Yes, and No. Monroe will be corner outfield. I don't see us getting another outfielder who will out againt Monroe for a corner OF slot. We've got bigger fish to fry than a corner outfield slot (3B, CF, SP, RP). An OF players courted will likely be CF guys who are better defensively than Monroe, meaning he'll be a corner guy. Monroe can play CF without embarrasing himself, but if we have better defensive options without serious offensive liabilities, then why put Monroe there?

Yes, and No. I think that Sleeth will likely be good enough that he could be part of the 2003 Tiger rotation (But who couldn't! Ha!) but I suspect that the 2005 Tigers will have an even strong rotation than this year's Tigers. I suspect that Bonderman, Ledezma, Robertson, and Maroth will be in the rotation, and that we aquire another SP via FA. Sleeth is not ready to push any of them from the rotation, which means another year in the minors for development, and that's a good thing.

1. Omar Infante could care less, so why should we?

2. I will be shocked to see Munson play another game as a Detroit Tiger.

3. I hope so...he'd make a nice 8th inning setup man for whomever we get to close.

4. Jason Johnson will not be a Detroit Tiger -- this will get ugly, before he gets traded -- DRAMA IS NEAR!!

5. NO!

6. Why rush him? There is absolutely no need to do so, if Dombrowski does what he needs to do this off season.

1. Nope, he'll retire

2. Nope, don't need a .210 dh under any circumstances.

He'll be lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng gone!

3. Nope - Urbina feels guilty, because he had planned

to stay home THIS year but got talked out of it.

Then this happened to his mom. Urbina will retire also.

4. Nope. Johnson doesn't wish to be a closer. He wants

to be a starter. He'll be traded, or the Tigers braintrust

will keep the faith and keep him as a starter - I hope not.

5. Nope - Craig Monroe can play decent corners. He can

backup in Center once in a while - but to be the regular

centerfielder -- not on this team.

6. Nope - they won't rush another young arm to the majors.

I think the Tigers mgmt. is sorry they did it to Bonderman.

Sleeth has AT LEAST one more year in the minors. He'll

only be brought up if and when he becomes seriously

successful in the minors. Maybe 2006 - but I'm thinking

Originally posted by eastside billee

1. Nope, he'll retire

2. Nope, don't need a .210 dh under any circumstances.

He'll be lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng gone!

3. Nope - Urbina feels guilty, because he had planned

to stay home THIS year but got talked out of it.

Then this happened to his mom. Urbina will retire also.

4. Nope. Johnson doesn't wish to be a closer. He wants

to be a starter. He'll be traded, or the Tigers braintrust

will keep the faith and keep him as a starter - I hope not.

5. Nope - Craig Monroe can play decent corners. He can

backup in Center once in a while - but to be the regular

centerfielder -- not on this team.

6. Nope - they won't rush another young arm to the majors.

I think the Tigers mgmt. is sorry they did it to Bonderman.

Sleeth has AT LEAST one more year in the minors. He'll

only be brought up if and when he becomes seriously

successful in the minors. Maybe 2006 - but I'm thinking

I think you are spot on with number 3.

(1) Will Vina be back?

He'll be on the DL where he belongs.

Probably not. I don't think he wants to be here, but it's not his choice.

Yes

Good Idea

Good enough

Maybe in Erie.

(1) Will Vina be back? NO.

(2) Does Munson come back? NO.

(3) Will Urbina be offered to come back? Yes, unfortunately.

(4) Will Jason Johnson go to the bullpen? No.

(5) Can Monroe play decent CF? No.

(6) Is Sleeth far enough along that he could compete for the 5th starters spot? No.

(1) Will Vina be back?I hope not.

(2) Does Munson come back? I doubt it since they would have to give him a raise for him to come back. He just isn't worth more than what they were paying him

(3) Will Urbina be offered to come back?Yes, but I get the feeling he will retire

(4) Will Jason Johnson go to the bullpen? He fades in the 2nd half, so the pen might be a natural move. Could he be the next closer?Seems like a good idea to me. I wonder if Johnson would go for it though

(5) Can Monroe play decent CF?I think he can cover it well enough to be a stopgap for a season

(6) Is Sleeth far enough along that he could compete for the 5th starters spot? Not a chance. He had a horrible year in Erie, hopefully he gets used to the mechanical changes the Tigers made with his throwing motion. He should be back in Erie to start the year off.