eastside billee

Tram said the words I didn't need to hear....

Today on Stoney and Wojo - whom I despise - Trammell was asked if Higginson will be back next year and he responded YES, certainly. Even though his stats are down he can still serve a purpose on the team. FOR over 8 million dollars? That's a pretty expensive ball boy!

I was thinking if we could trade HIggiy away, and pick up 4 mil. of his salary, the other team could pay the rest, and we could end up with a serviceable player for 4 or 5 mil. Guess I was thinkin wrong again.

I don't get it. The team releases Damion Easley but is content to stick with Higgy. He isn't anything more than a defensive replacement anymore. I don't know why we just can't part ways with him and move on. He isn't productive and he isn't a part of the future. His contract will be up at the end of next season; I wish they would just eat the final year. I'm hoping the team will add another OF bat in the offseason but so far all I've heard DD say is that they have to fix the bullpen. I hope that's not all they are planning to do this offseason.

Higgy is not that bad. Why give him away when he's got an arm and walks like once a game? He isn't worth 8 mil or whatever, but most guys are rarely worth what they get paid. Stick with him. He's better than what most teams have. He's a good 4th outfielder, or 3rd if we don't get anybody. You can't deny his arm.

Originally posted by FickBERG

Higgy is not that bad. Why give him away when he's got an arm and walks like once a game? He isn't worth 8 mil or whatever, but most guys are rarely worth what they get paid. Stick with him. He's better than what most teams have. He's a good 4th outfielder, or 3rd if we don't get anybody. You can't deny his arm.

I agree...granted his offense is not what it used to be, but when he's got the second most outfield assists since 2000, only one behind Vlad Guerrero, I'd say his defense somewhat makes up for it. Sure, I'm frustrated when he isn't hitting...but wasn't it fun back in Chicago to see him earn the AL Player of the Week? He also, just a few days ago, got on base seven times in a row...by way of a double, a HR, and five walks. But nope, people don't pay attention to that, they'd rather pay attention to the couple of times he didn't come through yesterday...and I'm not only talking members of this board, I'm talking fans at Comerica who booed him in two at bats yesterday...most fans are so fickle!

Originally posted by tim48035

...most fans are so fickle!

Is it being fickle or is simply expecting performance?...something he hasn't done in well over 2 years....

Originally posted by eastside billee

Today on Stoney and Wojo - whom I despise - Trammell was asked if Higginson will be back next year and he responded YES, certainly. Even though his stats are down he can still serve a purpose on the team. FOR over 8 million dollars? That's a pretty expensive ball boy!

I was thinking if we could trade HIggiy away, and pick up 4 mil. of his salary, the other team could pay the rest, and we could end up with a serviceable player for 4 or 5 mil. Guess I was thinkin wrong again.

That would be a great deal if someone else would make it, but who would even want to pay $4m for Higgy at this point?

Originally posted by tim48035

I agree...granted his offense is not what it used to be, but when he's got the second most outfield assists since 2000, only one behind Vlad Guerrero, I'd say his defense somewhat makes up for it. Sure, I'm frustrated when he isn't hitting...but wasn't it fun back in Chicago to see him earn the AL Player of the Week? He also, just a few days ago, got on base seven times in a row...by way of a double, a HR, and five walks. But nope, people don't pay attention to that, they'd rather pay attention to the couple of times he didn't come through yesterday...and I'm not only talking members of this board, I'm talking fans at Comerica who booed him in two at bats yesterday...most fans are so fickle!

And you are so blind to the actual talent level of a lot of the players. Why should I be content with the team keeping bad players around? I want the team to IMPROVE and that doesn't happen without getting rid of the weak links on the team. Higgy had a .741 OPS as a right fielder last year. I don't care that he has a good arm; he's nothing more than a defensive replacement these days. It seems to me like if it was up to you, the Tigers would keep every bad player on the team because you can find one little gold nugget in otherwise horrible stats. I'm sorry that I want bad players to be replaced and I'm not just content witha 90 loss team. Unlike you, it seems, I'd actually like the team to go forward in the future

My god... why does everyone take what a manager says on a radio station as gospel? He's not the GM. Do you expect him to go on a radio station and say "No, we're gonna cut him in a couple weeks"???

This crap happens all the time in Tampa.

Gruden: "We love Keyshawn, of course he's staying. We love Lynch. We love Sapp."

Cut, cut, cut.

My point is, until the offseason is over and Higgy is still on the team, there's no sense in complaining about it already. A lot can happen over a couple months.

Originally posted by eastside billee

FOR over 8 million dollars? That's a pretty expensive ball boy!

Hold on boys, its a contract year right? I expect 30HR and 100 RBI for Higgy next year. You heard it hear first, mark my words.

Originally posted by wolverinefan

for1.5 mil we can keep him. Not 8.

Well put my friend.

Yes, well put. But those aren't our options. Either we keep him for 8 mil or we cut him for 8 mil. Niether option seems real pretty right now.

Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming

Yes, well put. But those aren't our options. Either we keep him for 8 mil or we cut him for 8 mil. Niether option seems real pretty right now.

I agree...Again, Higgy's power numbers last season were terrible, but his OBP was alright and he played good D. I have no problem releasing the guy, but not just for the sake of getting rid of him. If we make some moves and sign a superior back-up OFer, sure, get rid of him. If not, keep him around and release him midseason when Granderson is ready.

Originally posted by Yoda

My god... why does everyone take what a manager says on a radio station as gospel? He's not the GM. Do you expect him to go on a radio station and say "No, we're gonna cut him in a couple weeks"???

This crap happens all the time in Tampa.

Gruden: "We love Keyshawn, of course he's staying. We love Lynch. We love Sapp."

Cut, cut, cut.

My point is, until the offseason is over and Higgy is still on the team, there's no sense in complaining about it already. A lot can happen over a couple months.

You got it Yoda. Trammell has already named Pena as the 1B, Inge as the 3B and now he says that Higgy will be on the roster. I'm not sure any of this will happen just because he said it will. As for Higgy, I don't mind him being on the bench but they need a better starting outfielder.

Why does everyone bring up "8 million" next year when they talk about Higgy. The money he's making is completely seperate from if he should be on this team or not. We will be paying it no matter what. If anything that should be a reason why he is on the team. I don't know a ton of free agent OF this year, but lets say Jacques Jones is non-tendered and we can pick him up for 2.5 million. That means we have 10.5 racked up in right field. On top of that, are we better off with Jones than Higgy? Higgy has turned himself into a solid #2 hitter. Very good OBP. Slightly less speed than you want at that position, but I think his baserunning makes up for it. Then to top it off he's still one of the better defensive outfielders.

Higgy had a pretty good OBp and double digit HR totals. He is also our best defensive outfielder. The 8 million is bad and so far from what he is worth. However, he is a good 4th outfielder and we'd get no value for him.

How exactly would we keep him at 1.5 mil?

Of course tram is gonna say bobby will be back last year, I think we all know by now that he wont badmouth a player and use the political answer. What everyone is forgetting is that he also said that brandon inge will be the starting catcher this year. Tram doesnt make the uppermanagement deals, so why would you read into this?

You'd certainly expect Trammell to say that we are keeping higginson. That doesn't mean he won't be traded, and it's fairly unlikely we'll release him unless we can find a clearly superior option on the bench. I'd be disapointed if Higginson starts next year, but I expect him to be on the team.

Hold on boys, its a contract year right? I expect 30HR and 100 RBI for Higgy next year. You heard it hear first, mark my words.

You very well may be right on that one moonlight!

Why does everyone bring up "8 million" next year when they talk about Higgy. The money he's making is completely seperate from if he should be on this team or not. We will be paying it no matter what. If anything that should be a reason why he is on the team. I don't know a ton of free agent OF this year, but lets say Jacques Jones is non-tendered and we can pick him up for 2.5 million. That means we have 10.5 racked up in right field. On top of that, are we better off with Jones than Higgy? Higgy has turned himself into a solid #2 hitter

Because if we unload Higgy and pickup a portion of his salary, the other portion could go toward a valuable, offensive threat, which Higgy is not.

Yes, we are better off with Jones than Higgy.

Higgy has turned himself into an 8.5 million dollar folly. He is Randy Smith's folly just like they call the people mover Coleman's folly. Mike Illitch's biggest waste of money ever has been the Higginson contract.

Higginson a solid #2 hitter? For who, TOledo?

Billie: What was your opinion before they offered Higgy the contract? At the time, it owuld have been a huge PR mistake to let him walk.