MotownRandy

Ranking the Free Agents

I could see the Tigers taking a chance on JD Drew if the Braves don't resign him. He is known as injury prone so the Tigers could be one of the only teams to offer a long term deal.

I think they need some more power/defense in the outfield and at third base. They may decide to go with Inge at third but if they don't think they could take a chance with Glaus as well if the Angels don't resign him.

Who's the contenders in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes?? The Yankees and Boston(if they can dump Manny Ramirez(or not resign Martinez) and Johnny Damon) are always players. I assume Houston believes they have a chance at keeping(affording) him or they would have never traded for him. What other teams are in the hunt?

I doubt Glaus plays much third base again.

They need to get one of those top 3 outfielders. Beltran is the preferred choice, of course, but any of them will do. I'd rather have Ordonez than Drew, providing his knee is sound.

Does anybody know where I could find a list of the potential 2005/2006 free-agents? With Higginson, Young, White, Vina, and Johnson coning off the payroll, it is this off-season in which I think we will be big time players.

I'm betting that Beltran stays in Houston...

Originally posted by Buddha

I think Mr. Beltran will be wearing Yankee pinstripes next season.

I thought so too, until somebody pointed it out to me that Beltran does not want to play for a big market team.

Who's the contenders in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes??

I think it's too early to guess, though I stick with what I read...and that he does not want to play for a BIG MARKET team.

I think Mr. Beltran will be wearing Yankee pinstripes next season.

...and thus, why I think this is false.

I think George assumes he can have anyone he wants, which is usally so...but, there seems to be more ANTI-YANKEES going on around baseball. I think the way he treated his OWN PLAYERS...will come back to bite the EMPIRE's arse.

Some of you will say, money talks -- it's the Yankees, blah, blah, blah...

:ninja:

You are right that Glaus may not play third much anymore. It will probably be Inge there anyway.....

Beltran and Magglio are probably my top two as well Buddha, but I think that both will sign elsewhere and that Drew may be our best shot at one of the top 3 OF.

Originally posted by tim48035

I thought so too, until somebody pointed it out to me that Beltran does not want to play for a big market team.

I would like to see the actual quote where you and Jon are getting this. I doubt that Boras would let him cut off that much of the big money market. I know the player controls the agent but I am sure they will at least use NYY or the Red Sox to drive up the price a bit.

I am sorry, I read that too many months ago to remember the magazine -- so, with that said; don't believe me!

They mentioned it a little...on ESPN...right before he got dealt to Houston.

I know the player controls the agent but I am sure they will at least use NYY or the Red Sox to drive up the price a bit.

This is the first thing I thought, when I read it...that even if he didn't want to play for New York...why not use that as a way to set your MARKET VALUE, which though, when you think about it...he can still say it, and George's ego will still want to talk to him...and he'll still set the value. Either way, there is no way in telling where this is going -- right now.

PEACE

where do people see Nomar going? I've heard people say maybe the Yankees and he'll then play 2nd. I can see this because George likes sticking it to the Red sox so much

Originally posted by estrepe1

I would like to see the actual quote where you and Jon are getting this.

Jon is where I got that from...we were talking early in the weekend about the Beltran situation. I do trust his judgement and don't question him where he gets his information....He's one of the many I don't question. Also, I think I heard it as well, around the trade deadline, that he wanted to go to a small market team, and KC pursued a trade as to such. I don't know where I heard it as well, and will be doing research to back that point up...but as I said before, I don't question the credibility of statements made on this board. Now if it were posted on mlive's board, I'd question everything. :classic: But I don't belong to that board, just heard they make up rumors and run with them as if there were a shred of truth about them.:dead:

Originally posted by tim48035

Jon is where I got that from...we were talking early in the weekend about the Beltran situation. I do trust his judgement and don't question him where he gets his information....He's one of the many I don't question.

FINALLY some

RESPECT

for

Trader Jon Benke :classic::bandit::devious:

Originally posted by tiger337

FINALLY some

RESPECT

for

Trader Jon Benke :classic::bandit::devious:

I've respected him for a long time...just not agreed with him many times.:classic:

Originally posted by JonBenke

I think it's too early to guess, though I stick with what I read...and that he does not want to play for a BIG MARKET team.

If thats the case, thats absolutely huge for the Tigers. The Tigers might be one of the few teams outside of the humongous markets of NY, Chicago, and LA that can afford him.

What's a big market team?

I tend to believe that its the top 5 markets in the country.

That would be New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston.

Top 50 TV Markets Ranked by Households, 2003

Rank

Designated Market Area (DMA)

1 New York 7,376,330

2 Los Angeles 5,402,260

3 Chicago 3,399,460

4 Philadelphia 2,874,330

5 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose2,440,920

6 Boston (Manchester) 2,391,830 7 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,255,970

8 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn)2,224,070

9 Atlanta 2,035,060

10 Detroit 1,923,230

Originally posted by tigersfan25

I tend to believe that its the top 5 markets in the country.

That would be New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston.

So the Braves aren't a big market team but the White Sox are?

Its pretty complicated, how MLB determines how big the markets are. Personally, I wouldn't call the White Sox "big market", since much of the market falls to the Cubs.

Atlanta, compared to Chicago...is really not that big of an area, though still growing...and growing...and growing :confused:

I would call Atlanta more of a big market than the White Sox, given the fact that the Cubs get all the attention up there and the White Sox are an afterthough. Kind of like the Yankees and the Mets.

I think when a player says "big market" they tend to mean New York and Boston - where they won't get any privacy all season.

Comerica Park is still very big and that might be a problem, but it could help with pitchers and wouldn't you just love to sign Pavano AND Clement. Then you could move Jason Johnson and Wil Ledezma to the bullpen and strenghten that too.

If Houston gets rid of that ridiculous hill in centerfield, I think they'll keep Beltran as long as they are in the ballpark with their contract offer. He's getting his first taste of winning, he's a helluva lot closer to home and year round warm weather(though it's probably downright oppressive in the long summer days). I don't think Beltran comes here because of our fences. 40-40 is a big deal, and I don't think he could hit Comerica Park homeruns...