Edman85

Raburn and Granderson

I think they're doing the right thing. Getting their feet wet, and not overwhelming them. Raburn is absolutely showing that he isn't as ready defensively as he is offensively. Both are showing me why they belong.

Take it slow, man. Don't rush these guys. Granderson will be and probably should be the starting CF in Toledo next year.

Raburn is destined to be a utility man and maybe they should give him a full year in Toledo too.

Since I don't think either are going to be ready for the majors next year, this seems like the best way to break them in. Logan is our starting CF (or at least part of a platoon) next year unless we add anyone, so the more of him the Tigers get to see the better in terms of figuring out where he belongs next year.

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

Raburn is destined to be a utility man .....

Where the hell did you conclude that from? He's struggled at third and second to this point, but everything I have read indicates he could become an adequate second-baseman....not to mention he could move back to the outfield since he played there in college. His bat is far too potent to be a utility man.....and it's far, far too early to make such a presumptuous conclusion about him....

I don't mind seeing them broken in slowly. There is no rush. They are both going to the AFL this year and to Toledo next year.

They are absolutely doing the right thing and just getting their feet wet. Watching Granderson last night, even with the double he hit, at the plate in the 8th he was realy pressing and you just could tell by his swings he was gonna K and he did. He is a fine prospect who needs AAA next year to continue his offensive improvement. Remeber this guy basically stunk the 1st half at AA, he is a talent, but a talent that needs not be totally blown away day in day for 2 weeks. i think he has been shown enough that he is not ready and he will work his tail off to get to the bigs for 2006.

Originally posted by keglerv

Remeber this guy basically stunk the 1st half at AA.....

I wouldn't go quite that far....he was still above average for the league prior to his insanely hot streak....

There's not enough room for everyone on this team who has a future in the major leagues. I hope we play all the new guys, period; the season's over anyway and they'll get the chance to prove they are good trade bait. I don't want to get rid of all of them, but some of them, as a group, might bring us one good player or two who can make a real difference right away.

Originally posted by Microline133

Where the hell did you conclude that from? He's struggled at third and second to this point, but everything I have read indicates he could become an adequate second-baseman....not to mention he could move back to the outfield since he played there in college. His bat is far too potent to be a utility man.....and it's far, far too early to make such a presumptuous conclusion about him....

I say that because it looks like Infante and Guillen are going to be the DP combo for a long time. Doesn't leave much room for Raburn does it?

I say that because it looks like Infante and Guillen are going to be the DP combo for a long time. Doesn't leave much room for Raburn does it?

Regardless of whether there's room for him or not...that doesn't mean he's destined to be a utility player....that just means the organization needs to find a place for him to succeed....not to mention that by '06 you have no clue what will have transpired with regards to Guillen or Infante....

We might as well forget about Tony G. ever having a starting role on this team too then. That's too bad cuz I really liked him.

I am willing to bet that between Infante and Guillen, one of them will not start the majority of our games at 2B and SS in 2006. Heck, I think there is a good chance that one of them won't end up starting at those positions next year.

I like how you've already counted on Tony G. making it to the big leagues. Because we all know that if they are good in A ball that means they are a lock for the big leagues. Long, long way to go for Tony G.

Were you one of those guys that had Kody Kirkland in the big leagues by 2005? Or was it Andy VanHekken winning 20 games? Jack Hanahan was going to be the gold glove 3b by this season too, right? How many Cy Young votes will Nate Cornejo and Kenny Baugh get this year?

We know Guillen and Infante can play, beyond that we know nothing and I think both of those guys will be around most of the season next year - and probably the year after that.

Where did I say he definitely would?

First of all, practically every scout in baseball says he has all-star potential. He's fast, has an outstanding glove, hits for a high average, etc. And, he's probably the 2nd hardest worker in the organization, behind Granderson.

Second, he didn't just "good in A ball". He dominated A ball. He only needs to prove himself at one more level, IMO. There's nothing wrong whatsoever in "hoping" he'll be up here in a year or two. But nowhere did I say that he for sure would. I'm not that stupid. Injuries happen.

The main point is the fact that Infante and Guillen are pretty solid for next year does not mean that Raburn and Giarratano will be utilitymen for the rest of their careers. There could be position switches by either Guillen/Infante or Raburn/Giarratano. There could be injuries. There could be trades.....If Raburn and Giarratano prove to be major league caliber regulars, they will become regulars somehow. Those things work themselves out.

Were you one of those guys that had Kody Kirkland in the big leagues by 2005?

Baseball America had him ranked as our 6th ranked prospect...and had him as our starting 3B in the year 2007.

He'll only be 22 next year...no need to bash the kid, just yet. Though, I have to admit...I was hoping for more.

But, then again...who doesn't hope that every prospect that "shows potential" makes it to the big leagues? Hell, I bet some of you...deep down, where the sun don't shine, are still hoping for "something" out of Rob Henkel.

Originally posted by tiger337

The main point is the fact that Infante and Guillen are pretty solid for next year does not mean that Raburn and Giarratano will be utilitymen for the rest of their careers. There could be position switches by either Guillen/Infante or Raburn/Giarratano. There could be injuries. There could be trades.....If Raburn and Giarratano prove to be major league caliber regulars, they will become regulars somehow. Those things work themselves out.

And now you know (pause) the rest of the story.

I am not sure what's worse. The fact that MCS is usually wrong and/or making stuff up, or the fact that he is so condescending about it.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

Since I don't think either are going to be ready for the majors next year, this seems like the best way to break them in. Logan is our starting CF (or at least part of a platoon) next year unless we add anyone, so the more of him the Tigers get to see the better in terms of figuring out where he belongs next year.

While I agree we should not overwhelm them .. I will be extremely disappointed if Nook Logan is our starting anything next year.

Originally posted by djhutch

While I agree we should not overwhelm them .. I will be extremely disappointed if Nook Logan is our starting anything next year.

Would you rather see Sanchez starting?