baseballbruce30

Rodney Dangerfield in coma after heart surgery, wife says

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/9715723.htm?1c

Posted on Mon, Sep. 20, 2004

Rodney Dangerfield in coma after heart surgery, wife says

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Rodney Dangerfield has been in a coma for a couple of weeks after undergoing heart surgery but has begun to show awareness, his wife said in a statement Monday.

The 82-year-old comedian was stable and had been breathing on his own for 24 hours, Joan Dangerfield said in the statement released by the comic's publicist, Kevin Sasaki.

Dangerfield had a heart valve replaced Aug. 25 at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.

There was no mention of a coma in a condition update from the publicist last week. Sasaki did not immediately return calls for comment Monday.

Joan Dangerfield said in her statement, "My husband slipped into a light coma a couple of weeks ago while recovering from his heart surgery. His overall condition, however, remains stable."

She said Dangerfield was receiving "extraordinary care" from his doctors and nurses.

"After recent visits from his family and close friends, Rodney is starting to show signs of awareness and we are all hopeful that he will regain full consciousness soon," she said. "Our family remains optimistic that Rodney will make a complete recovery and we are humbled by the love and support we have received during his hospitalization."

Dangerfield, best known for the self-mocking line, "I don't get no respect," recently released his autobiography, "It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Lifetime of No Respect but Plenty of Sex and Drugs."

http://news.google.com/news?q=rodney+dangerfield+coma&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn

The Godfather of unfunny comedians. He has a whole generation of Garry Shandlings, Martin Shorts, and other unfunny yet famous comedians that looked up to him.

Martin Short is funny he just has no quality control.

Gary Shandling is not an unfunny guy in his TV shows, but man is he unfunny anywhere else.

Richard Belzer and Richard Lewis stink too.

Originally posted by Oblong

The Godfather of unfunny comedians. He has a whole generation of Garry Shandlings, Martin Shorts, and other unfunny yet famous comedians that looked up to him.

I would not put Dangerfield into this category. I would put him into the one-liner category with a Youngman or a Hope.

Garry Shandling is just icky. Martin Short can be very funny, in a million monkeys on a million typewriters sort of way, too many misses for too few hits. If he were a ballplayer, the Mendoza line would be a dream for him.

Originally posted by MelissaG915

I loathe Richard Lewis and his stereotypical Jews-and-New-Yorkers-are-neurotics schtick.

Agreed. Only I don't think it's schtick. I think he's that messed-up.

Originally posted by Hongbit

I had no idea there was such a thing as a light coma.

IIRC, and I probably don't, most comas are light, with responses to light, voices, and touch; and are a sign that the body is healing. The deep coma that makes for the "Man awakes after 15 years in a Coma, doesn't realize it because Bush is still President" tabloid headline is the rare one -- as it was described to me, the body would die, but it can't shut off.

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

My arm...its broken!

Sorry, but I have always liked Rodney.

Just check my signature.

Caddyshack is just laugh-out-loud funny. It doesn't get old with age. "A hat like this should come with a free bowl of soup."

Originally posted by shabba4detroit

Caddyshack is just laugh-out-loud funny. It doesn't get old with age. "A hat like this should come with a free bowl of soup."

No it isn't. It's average with one or two laugh out loud funny scenes. In general it's dated and some of Doug Kinney's worst writing.

Originally posted by OldTimey

No it isn't. It's average with one or two laugh out loud funny scenes. In general it's dated and some of Doug Kinney's worst writing.

This is wrong.

I have no idea who the heck wrote it, or what else he has done, but I like Caddyshack.

Caddyshack (1980)

Directed by:

Harold Ramis

Writing credits:

Brian Doyle-Murray

Harold Ramis

Douglas Kenney

98 minutes of fun, plus it was going for an Oscar - it was going for the sight gags and low brow humor ... and succeeded ...

:cheeky::classic::devious:

I have no idea who the heck wrote it, or what else he has done, but I like Caddyshack.

That's too bad. Because if you were a fan of his (he also wrote Animal House) you'd be opening up yourself to a world of great writing. He was a writer for the National Lampoon when it was funny as well. Dude it hilarious.

I also didn't say I didn't like it. I think it's average with a few laugh out loud moments. I think Zoolander is liek this too. I like that movie.

You need to calm down.

98 minutes of fun, plus it was going for an Oscar - it was going for the sight gags and low brow humor ... and succeeded ...

Well, you're preaching to the wrong guy. That's my favorite type of comedy. I love Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Zoolander and Airplane! Although I thinbk Airplane and Dumb and Dumber are smarter than they sometimes get credit for. I just think Caddyshack isn't as funny or good.

I thought Harold Ramis wrote Animal House...obviously, he had some help.

And, I am quite calm.

Animal House (1978)

Directed by:

John Landis

Writing credits:

Harold Ramis

Douglas Kenney

Chris Miller

109 minutes

Originally posted by Oblong

Apparently you haven't seen "Clifford" with Martin Short. Funny, funny stuff.

Originally posted by SweetLou

Apparently you haven't seen "Clifford" with Martin Short. Funny, funny stuff.

Clifford was the most disturbing movie I have ever seen except for Eraserhead.

Originally posted by OldTimey

Zach, how did you get Ed's password?

"I asked the cabby where I could get a little action. He took me to my house."

"I asked my wife why she installed mirrors on the ceiling over our bed. She said she likes to watch herself laughing."

This guy is old school fun. I hope he pulls through.

Yeah, I tell ya, I get no respect. I'm laying in the hospital in a coma and the doctor asks my wife, "do you wanna pull the plug?" My wife says, "Doc, I was hoping you would do it."

No respect, no respect. I tell ya.

Get well soon, Rodney.