Motor City Sonics

$15,000,000 Ransom for Urbina's mother.

from ESPN.com

Kidnappers of Maura Villarreal, the mother of Detroit Tigers reliever Ugueth Urbina, reportedly are demanding a ransom of $15 million.

A phone call to the family in Venezuela confirmed the kidnappers' demand, according to the Venezuela Electronic News.

Urbina's mother was kidnapped Sept. 1, when men dressed as policemen entered her small Venezuelan farm and spirited her away. Urbina, 30, left the Tigers to go to Venezuela and has not returned to the team.

The men took Maura Villarreal from a house owned by Urbina in suburban Caracas on Wednesday, said Joel Rengifo, director of the country's anti-kidnapping police force.

This is sickening. These guys probably have no other agenda other than getting rich, I'm sure they'll eventually come to some settlement. They probably wouldn't hurt her just for the sake of hurting her. This sucks, but I'd be willing to bet that she will eventually be returned to her family, unharmed.

This is really evil. I wonder, what is the punishment for kidnapping there? Is this a part of a long drawn out bargaining cycle or is this it?

Ugh... well, on the one hand, I guess the fact that they are demanding the money likely means that she is still alive and well enough.

I really hope tha this can be resolved in such a manner than Urbina's mother can we returned without harm. But the thought of scum getting away with doing this, and potentially profieting from this sickens me terribly...

I tell you, if this doesn't make you appreciate our country, I don't know what will. I thank God for the freedom and protection that we have here in the U.S.A.!

I'm proud to be an American, where at least..... (sorry, I won't break into song:confused: )

there have been several kidnappings over the years and I think we found out if you don't pay the ransom the kidnappers will kill.

So I think the money will be paid but the kidnappers almost always get captured as well if history is a guide let's hope so.

Originally posted by JonBenke

Urbina should take that 15 million...and purchase some mercenaries to hunt these bastards down.

Just like in the movie Ransom with Mel Gibson. Probably not a great way to handle things, but sure does make for a cool story!!

Interestingly enough, I watched Man of Fire last night. Quite...um, brutal at times. But interestings visuals and audio.

One of the things I found interesting, if the movie is to be believed, is that they commented that many wealthy families have ransom insurance on themselves. Sort of makes you wonder if the whole system isn't setup in a way to help itself in a sort of ugly cycle...

Originally posted by JonBenke

Urbina should take that 15 million...and purchase some mercenaries to hunt these bastards down.

I don't know about making this Plan A, but should things go terribly wrong and Maura Villarreal is murdered, I think it makes a helluva Plan B! There is no law in this part of the world - you don't even know what side the "police/negotiators" are on. If this scum gets their money, I'm thinking this wont be the last pro athlete targeted.