Sign in to follow this  
zachcadillac

Miller for Miles? You're Kidding Me

Zach, I've read elsewhere that A)The Cavs had no plans of paying Dre Miller the MAX, which he was demanding and B)The Cavs are gunning for last place and the 1st overall pick to land the Cleveland Phenom LeBron James. Miles is a stud in the making, but he isn't there yet - so it helps them accomplish their goals as they will stink it up this season but have the young horses in place for the future.

Darius Miles = Rodney White + opportunity.

Miles was a highschool phenom who went to a bad team that allowed him to get serious playing time. White was a freshman phenom who went to a good team that let him rot on the bench.

As long as Cleveland beats Memphis out for the first overall pick. I'm happy.

Yeah, I want Memphis' pick darnit!

Anyway, I knew we had a shot at Andre Miller, but for some reason Dumars did not pull the trigger. He is a smart man and I trust him so I wont criticize this one.

Joe Dumars didn't touch Dre Miller because his ego wouldn't fit into the Palace let alone the Pistons cohesive dressing room. League wide, the jury is still out on his talent, yet Dre is demanding the MAX come next season. I believe Chauncy Billups is a poor mans Dre Miller. In games Billups started last season he averaged 12.5ppg and 5.5 apg, and I look for those numbers to go up with the Pistons as they have no Kevin Garnett for the ball to go to every posession. I fully expect to see Chauncy's numbers look something like 15 ppg and 8.5 apg, basically the same numbers Miller put up last season, but we didn't ave to give up the Memphis pick or Rodney White and we got Billups at half the cost of Dre Miller.

The conspiracy theorist in me believes the league will give Jerry West and Memphis the first overall pick next season, and move them to the East - screwing us over twice. Even LeBron James wouldn't make Memphis a play-off team in the stacked west division, but in the much weaker east the Griz would probably already be play-off contenders, and certainly would be in 2004. Thus we don't get a pick next season and the following season it will be in the middle to late teens - which is still good considering this is in return for Otis Thorpe, but terrible considering what could have been.

Joe Dumars didn't touch Dre Miller because his ego wouldn't fit into the Palace let alone the Pistons cohesive dressing room. League wide, the jury is still out on his talent, yet Dre is demanding the MAX come next season.

Asking for a max contract does not constitute egocentrism. Lesser players than Miller -- Olawakandi and Sczerbiak, to name two -- are asking for the max, and I think Miller is only seeking what appears to be fair value for someone of his age and talent.

Bibby is getting a max contract from the Kings, and his career numbers are remarkably similar to Miller's.

Miller: 14.5 ppg 8.5 apg 4.2 rpg

Bibby: 14.5 ppg 7.1 rpg 3.3 rpg

Miller has two seasons until unrestricted free agency, and I fully expect his production to increase with LA's supporting cast. By the time the Clips have to make a decision, giving Miller the max will be an easy and obvious choice, IMO.