TigerCap

The road to contention - 2002

- Slightly over .500 will probably win the division.

- The season is (almost exactly) 10% complete.

- The Tigers are 3-13.

Break the remainder of the year into 9 10-game sections.

If, the Tigers can go:

9-7

9-7

9-7

etc...

A realistic happening, I'd say

They will, then be 84-76 with two games to go. Split those and they're at 85 wins! By many predictions, enough to win the ALC.

Pretty cool.

Cap (whose mind tends to drift when he's driving and actually has time to think.)

I think the team is far better than what it has shown,but the bullpen and starting pitching won't allow us to break 500 IMO.I think our bats will come around and has lately.But so far Sparks is the only starter who has shown much.I expect Weaver to come around and Redman should still win as many as he loses,but Lima is horrible and Cornejo just isn't ready to pitch at this level yet.The bullpen is second only to the Rangers right now for ineptness,and likely won't improve without a deal of some kind.Maybe if Moehler comes back strong in June,and I mean right out of the gate strong,will we have a shot at 500.

but Lima is horrible and Cornejo just isn't ready to pitch at this level yet.

i do believe that lima is the one that pitched an excellent game to give us our first win! i do think that cornejo needs to start in AAA a few games though. he needs to get a few wins down there to build his confidence up, IMO.

Lima can only pitch in Comerica (and maybe Safeco).

He still gets his change-up that he leaves up in the zone drill to the warning track in Comerica and keeps it close.

Originally posted by cedar

but Lima is horrible and Cornejo just isn't ready to pitch at this level yet.

Lima is a two pitch pitcher (fastball and changeup) and only one of those pitches is good. Lima throws his changeup so much that hitters can sit on it, making it much less effective. I have an ominous feeling that the powerful White Sox lineup is going to annihilate him today.

Moehler will be starting by June and give Tigers 3 solid starters in Sparks, Weaver, and Moehler. Then we can ship Cornejo to Toledo. Maybe Acevedo can start instead of Lima?

That assumes Moehler comes back healthy and at his previous level, which is a pretty big assumption after a year and a half off.

If Lima can't keep the ball down and ease his overreliance on the changeup, Moehler won't need to perform at his previous level to be an upgrade.

Greisinger may be joining the rotation soon... maybe by the end of May.

We might have a 5th starter and can get rid of Lima. And if Moehler comes back strong... Cornejo can work in AAA.

Weaver, Sparks, Redman, Moehler, Greisinger - sounds good to me!

An upgrade on Lima doesn't necessarily equate to a quality starter. Greislinger has looked great in the minors so far, but again he only projected as a #3 guy when he was at his best. Expecting him to come back from injury and be a quality starter right away is wishfull thinking.

I don't think we can get rid of Lima, unless we release him (which isn't a bad idea). If Pujols gets creative and only uses Lima in Comerica, he actually could be a good starter, but I don't see that happening.

There's no reason to release him since he's a FA at the end of the year and could probably help out of the 'pen. However, I do think Adam Bernero should take Cornejo's spot for reasons you have previously stated Q.

I agree that there is no reason to release him if he can contribute to the team, but if he is just taking up a 40 man (and 25 man spot) we would be better off releasing him and finding out what Bernero or Loux or someone can do in the majors. I'd like to see Cornejo pitch out of the pen this year rather than stay in the rotation personally.

"I'd like to see Cornejo pitch out of the pen this year rather than stay in the rotation personally."

I agree 100% And that's the most you can agree with a guy.

Pujols should have Farnsworth be the 5th starter and send Cornejo back down to triple A. Bare with Lima until Moehler or Greisinger can take his place. Lima is gone at the end of the season so he can spot start and long relief out of the bullpen or whatever. When he was with the Tigers they tried making him the closer...probably because he only has the two pitches. Maybe they do it again and it works.

At least they arent stuck with Lima like they are with Palmer and Easley who also will have no impact on the future of this team.

I dont understand why Inge is called back up to the majors. Unless he showed them some hitting ability in the minors, but even then he still needs playing time in triple A.

I predict that Dombrowski trades Higginson(i am a fan of Higgy) because he would bring value in return and DD, unlike Randy Smith, actually knows something about baseball operations.