NotoriousCPC

Would the Pistons want Chris Duhon?

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38235103

Once this trade is complete, the Bulls will have 17 players under contract - two more than they're allowed - plus unsigned second-round draft pick Chris Duhon. The Bulls like Duhon, but they've talked about trying to find him a place to play overseas this season.

I know the Pistons were interested and worked out Chris Duhon before the draft. Assuming they'll release either Derrick Coleman or Amal McCaskill and Paulding plays in Europe do you think the Pistons would be interested in bringing in Chris as a young energetic point guard. Maybe trade Paulding for him or wait and see if he is waived.

Better question is do they have cap space? Even if you cut Coleman his salary still counts on the cap this year. They have to already be over or pretty darn close. We would have to send a player on our roster for the deal to work. Paulding is not under contract so just sending his rights wont help the cap space.

A much more likely scenario for Coleman is to be cut after this season when they can let him go for around 2.5 million instead of this years hit of around 8 or 9 million. You never know what he can give us this year. Older guy without a ring, he might shock some people.

Originally posted by Deleterious

Better question is do they have cap space?

Yes.

------

I would take a flyer on Duhon.

Originally posted by WMUDan

Yes.

------

I would take a flyer on Duhon.

The cap is in the mid 40's and they have 51 million committed for the year already. So unless they move a player, they dont have the room.

Deleterious, you can go over the cap for a number of reasons, one of which is if the player you are adding has a minimum salary for his given experience. Duhon would be a minimum salary player. So yes the Pistons could add him, the only thing required is a roster spot.

Man it must be slow if we're talking about this stuff.

We have 3 point guards on our roster. We liked Jenkins enough to sign him and, I strongly suspect, like him more than Duhon.

Let's see Jenkins play before we replace him.

Originally posted by WMUDan

Deleterious, you can go over the cap for a number of reasons, one of which is if the player you are adding has a minimum salary for his given experience. Duhon would be a minimum salary player. So yes the Pistons could add him, the only thing required is a roster spot.

Pretty sure when a team is over the cap, any trade must match salary within 10-15% of each other. I could be wrong, but I thought thats how it went.