Brian

I think our time on this earth is winding down.....

I have desided that thing's that have been written about in the Bible thousands of years ago are starting (or well past starting) to happen and I can't ignor them anymore.

Just off the top of my head the fighting around the world has gotten way outta hand. Not to mention the love of money (these are listed in 2 Timothy.)

The stongest argument I can give that Christ is close to returning is the people of Isreal have returned to their own land and are useing their own languge that has been dead for years apon years. Just as the Bible has said they would.

I'm not trying to make the non believer's believe. But, I am saying that the more things happen the more I believe the Bible is the truth and that Jesus is indeed who he said he was.

For people who think the Bible is a fairy tale. What proof do you have? What sort of investigating did you do? There is far more proof that Jesus walked this Earth and will return than simply a fairy tale.

That's just the start of a list of signs that Christ is close to commng back.

There is also mention of peace in the world for a certain period of time. I don't think that is going on right now.

Christ also said that he would come like a thief in the night. Basically when we least expect it, so this might be the time or the time might be another 2000 years.

My granparents have been seeing signs since I was a kid. "The Lord is coming any time now..."

It hasn't happened yet.....

Originally posted by Brian

For people who think the Bible is a fairy tale. What proof do you have? What sort of investigating did you do? There is far more proof that Jesus walked this Earth and will return than simply a fairy tale.

I need to prove to you why I think a certain piece of literature is "a Fairy tale"??? That's got to be the first time I have been asked to prove something I don't believe in.

Originally posted by lesgoblu02

I need to prove to you why I think a certain piece of literature is "a Fairy tale"??? That's got to be the first time I have been asked to prove something I don't believe in.

To clarify, I'm not saying I do or don't believe in the Bible. Just making a broad generalization. My religious beliefs would be better discussed over beer and wings.

Originally posted by Brian

The stongest argument I can give that Christ is close to returning is the people of Isreal have returned to their own land and are useing their own languge that has been dead for years apon years.

Can you elaborate on this thought. I am not following it all.

If you do'nt think the stories in the bible are fairy tales then you don't have faith. In order to call what it is you believe faith they would by definition have to be myths or fairy tales.

Oh no, not more bible thumping.

"For people who think the Bible is a fairy tale. What proof do you have? What sort of investigating did you do? There is far more proof that Jesus walked this Earth and will return than simply a fairy tale."

Yeah. I believe Jesus walked the earth but a lot of the stories are just stories I believe.

There is too many inconsistencies in the Bible. The Bible isn't a history book.

I made my mind up long ago when all the facts were presented to me at once. I can't remember most of them but remember my decision. Basically what the priest told my class was the bible isn't meant to be taken literal. The bible isn't facts, the bible is supposed to be the "truth". There is a difference.

I'm sick of religion now. I don't like talking about it for the most part, I don't like people trying to pressure me to talk about it or attend a service, and my beliefs are my beliefs and I don't force them on you so don't force yours on me.

I responded to this thread because I have an uncle that's been telling me this stuff for the past decade. He gets pissed at me because I call Adam and Eve bullcrap.

The world is not coming to an end anytime soon. There has been fighting through the last millennium and the millennium before that and the one before that.... and there has been greedy throughout time too.

All these religious prophecies are preposterous.

Originally posted by Ranger

"For people who think the Bible is a fairy tale. What proof do you have? What sort of investigating did you do? There is far more proof that Jesus walked this Earth and will return than simply a fairy tale."

Yeah. I believe Jesus walked the earth but a lot of the stories are just stories I believe.

I made my mind up long ago when all the facts were presented to me at once. I can't remember most of them but remember my decision. Basically what the priest told my class was the bible isn't meant to be taken literal. The bible isn't facts, the bible is supposed to be the "truth". There is a difference.

I'm sick of religion now. I don't like talking about it for the most part, I don't like people trying to pressure me to talk about it or attend a service, and my beliefs are my beliefs and I don't force them on you so don't force yours on me.

I responded to this thread because I have an uncle that's been telling me this stuff for the past decade. He gets pissed at me because I call Adam and Eve bullcrap.

The world is not coming to an end anytime soon. There has been fighting through the last millennium and the millennium before that and the one before that.... and there has been greedy throughout time too.

All these religious prophecies are preposterous.

This can't be. It just can't be happening, I find myself agreeing with a guy thas has Ohio State's logo as his avatar.

I like Buddhism. I'm not a Buddhist, but I like the fact that they don't feel the need to recruit people to their beliefs. The only reason I think there is such an endless need to recruit people to a religion is that religion was the basis for most of the wars in human history, and we all know that there's safety in numbers.

This whole, "you better accept my truth or you're going to burn in hell" is total bollocks. When I lived in the bible belt I worked with a very religious guy that had to constantly say "well, as a Christian I believe".......he had to say that because his basic actions wouldn't indicate the teachings of Jesus. You know, those parts about not being judgemental and to accept people, with all their flaws. Jesus was the original bleeding heart liberal, right?

If you think the world is coming to an end then do everything you can to help those around you that need help, even if you think they are "dirty" or "unworthy". That's your ticket to redemption, not condemning people to hell for not sharing your belief system. You want a ticket to heaven, go help a homeless person or a drug addict, or an AIDS patient, because if not for a few breaks one way or another that could be any one of us.

Originally posted by Ranger

I made my mind up long ago when all the facts were presented to me at once. I can't remember most of them but remember my decision.

What if your decision was wrong. Maybe a re-examination of the facts is in order. Might I suggest "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel.

The Bible is definitely a history book .. historians agree that it is more accurate in its history than any other book. There is an exhibit going on in Birch Run thru Sept 19 that looks @ that history. If you get a chance, you should check it out.

The Bible is definitely a history book .. historians agree that it is more accurate in its history than any other book.

Carefull, that should read "some historians agree..." Historians certainly do not all agree that the bible is more accurate than any other book, though presumably you only meant any other book starting with the beginning of time, since it isn't close to more accurate than the average history of WWII book.

However, the Bible is not a history book, though we can learn alot about history from it. A history book would not have Revelations and Genesis in it (but it might have Exodus).

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

Ranger, please cite some of these inconsistencies. If you don't want to then don't bring them up.

These will be tough to remember. It's been awhile since my theology class.

I know in general what I was told. This is specific just for the gospel. Mainly the period between the birth and the death of Jesus, if those stories aren't repeated once in any other of the gospels, it probably didn't happen.

But one inconsistenity that probably doesn't help my case here is in one gospel its the "Sermon on the Mount" and the other its the "Sermon on the plain". Sure a sermon probably happened but the location isn't clear.

Basically the only two things you can be certain of was Jesus was born and Jesus died.

The Bible is definitely a history book .. historians agree that it is more accurate in its history than any other book.

I believe that is too subjective.

Sure, it does contain historical facts in it but I think a lot of events/stories were fabricated. The creation story was most definately fabricated, Noah and the ark, etc. Well, those are Old Testament books though.

Sorry if I can't really expand on what I said. Been way to long since theology and have been studying a lot of other crap.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

However, the Bible is not a history book, though we can learn alot about history from it. A history book would not have Revelations and Genesis in it (but it might have Exodus).

Yeah, what he said.

Originally posted by djhutch

The Bible is definitely a history book .. historians agree that it is more accurate in its history than any other book. There is an exhibit going on in Birch Run thru Sept 19 that looks @ that history. If you get a chance, you should check it out.

What do you mean by "a history book"? That it's a primary source? That it contains historical facts? The statement that it is "more accurate in its history than any other book" befuddles me too. Please support this or at least explain it further because I can think of about 6 ways to argue against your assertion, not the least of which is to point to the OT and Revelations.

something tells me we're never going to reach a consensus on this thread...:classic:

"historians"? The Bible is no more accurate than Roman historical accounts of the time.

The Bible is a religious book. You need to have faith to believe the stories in it are true.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

Carefull, that should read "some historians agree..." Historians certainly do not all agree that the bible is more accurate than any other book, though presumably you only meant any other book starting with the beginning of time, since it isn't close to more accurate than the average history of WWII book.

Agreed on the "some historians" comment, but as far as the Bible being a history book - let me clarify. It is not ONLY a history book, in the sense that a WWII book will look @ WWII & not talk about the war on terror. When I say it is a "history book", I mean the historic events included in it are considered accurate by "some" historians. (I would even say most of them)

Originally posted by estrepe1

Christ also said that he would come like a thief in the night. Basically when we least expect it, so this might be the time or the time might be another 2000 years.

Still, that doesn't keep certain True Believers from attempting to force God's hand in the matter.

Originally posted by Buddha

"historians"? The Bible is no more accurate than Roman historical accounts of the time.

There is not one item in the Bible that can be discounted.

Originally posted by davidsb

There is not one item in the Bible that can be discounted.

You can't be serious.

It's no surpise that Ireal has been at war or war has been in the land for a long time. The people who lived there were either forced out or left out of fear. The Bible say's they will come back to their land.

I also think it's worth mentioning the fact the Bible directly points to the people of Isreal. It doesn't say if the people of England or Asia or where ever return it says the people of Isreal.

And as I've said they have returned.

They returned to their land a while ago, yet there is still unrest in that area about where their boundaries should be.

When there is peace over there I will start to see it your way but right now there is still fighting in Isreal.