tater6

Johnson comments

I saw the comments as well. I think Johnson's comments had little merit but at the same time I think he was more frustrated than anything. I don't think Trammell was wrong at all for yanking him. In fact I would've done the same thing.

Seeing that Sparky is Tram's mentor and model for managing and seeing how much crap he took from Morris, I think Tram will handle this just fine.

It's a non issue really. I don't think any pitcher wants to come out.

Originally posted by richardrose

This incident doesnt reach the same level of strife but it reminded me of the time Charlie Dressen went to the mound to pull a young pitcher in a game. The young pitcher refused to give Charlie the ball, saying there was no one in the bullpen as good as him. So he told Charlie to go back to the dugout. Well the manager would have none of that so he grabbed for the ball. Well the pitcher would have none of this so he wrestled the manager for the ball. So your looking out at the mound watching this old man wrestling on the mound with this young pitcher who refuses to give up the ball. I thought I'd die laughing before this scene ended. Anyone care to guess who the young pitcher was?

Sounds like pure Denny McLain to me.

Originally posted by IdahoBert

Sounds like pure Denny McLain to me.

You got it.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in a baseball game.

Originally posted by Oblong

Seeing that Sparky is Tram's mentor and model for managing and seeing how much crap he took from Morris, I think Tram will handle this just fine.

It's a non issue really. I don't think any pitcher wants to come out.

The mentor part I might agree with but comparing Johnson to Morris is a bit of a stretch. Morris was a #1 pitcher not just our #1.

obviously not but the point is that he can expect to get heat from pitchers when taking them out. Any manager should.

You go into his office and talk to him. You don't blast him to a reporter.

No doubt Tram will handle it and I doubt we (the fans) will hear anymore about it. Just as the Pudge/Robertson deal was taken care of, like this should have been, in the club house.

Originally posted by Microline133

I don't see a problem with the statements made by Johnson, and I don't think Tram would either....He thought he could have gone longer, he's entitled to his opinion...

If Tram isn't think-skinned enough to handle comments like this without running the player out of town...then there's just another reason he shouldn't be our manager next season....

Hmmm, Pedro felt the same way when he blew the Red Sox/Yankees series last year. I have more faith in Pedro's stuff than Johnson's.

Johnson does have right to be mad...but it's pretty lame to air it to the media in such a way.

Sad.