holygoat

Bands you're supposed to like, but don't

Originally posted by treyKemper

Bruce Springsteen. I remember the him on the cover of Rolling Stone around '83 when he hit that elite status and everyone was raving about him. I never got it. The only song I can listen to is Pink Caddilac, and that's a cheesy song, but it has an innocent feel.

Bruce's earliest stuff was electric and poetic. Then he became derivative of himself. I haven't really enjoyed him since "Born to Run" and that came out in '75. Ashbury Park is my favorite.

Not liking Pink Floyd and the Stones is probably an age thing. In their historical context they were both profound, but now they're just another choice among many. They remain hypnotic favorites of mine.

Originally posted by IdahoBert

Bruce's earliest stuff was electric and poetic. Then he became derivative of himself. I haven't really enjoyed him since "Born to Run" and that came out in '75. Ashbury Park is my favorite.

Not liking Pink Floyd and the Stones is probably an age thing. In their historical context they were both profound, but now they're just another choice among many. They remain hypnotic favorites of mine.

I love Pink Floyd, and I don't like the Stones. So it might not be an age thing with me.

The Who

And just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I automatically like Celine, Whitney and Mariah. With the exception of one song apiece, I despise them all.

Norah Jones is devoid of merit.

Great call on the Who, too.

I'm waiting for Billee to chime in with some White Stripes hatred.

Originally posted by estrepe1

I love Pink Floyd, and I don't like the Stones. So it might not be an age thing with me.

Same here. I have 19 Floyd CD's and would never think of buying a stones cd. I also have a large Hendrix collection :classic:

Hootie and the Blowfish

Bare Naked Ladies

Pearl Jam's "Ten" is my favorite album of all time.

This is the wrong CD to have as your all-time favorite.

Pink Floyd is a great a call.

I will add Bob Marley (well, all reggae)

Norah Jones is a great call.

I also hate the Doors

Originally posted by Yoda

Hootie and the Blowfish

Bare Naked Ladies

Eh? Who says you're supposed to like either? Frat guys from 1995?

Van Halen.

Someone mentioned Ray Charles. One of the only regrets thus far in my life, is not going to see him perform the numerous times he was in town.

Originally posted by IdahoBert

I'm not a huge Bruce fan but Ashbury Park is one of favorite albums.

Originally posted by Yoda

Same here. I have 19 Floyd CD's and would never think of buying a stones cd. I also have a large Hendrix collection :classic:

I saw Roger Waters a couple years ago and it was great. Have you seen either the original Floyd or Waters?

Originally posted by Oblong

Nirvana

I'm old so I missed Nirvana, but as I've got to know them after the fact I like what I've heard. When I saw Kurt Cobain screeching out "Rape Me" on an old SNL, I realized I'd really missed something. That man was brilliant at being seriously bent, and I'm not sure if I mean that as a compliment or not.:alien:

Early in the thread somebody mentioned Belle and Sebastian. Maybe you're "supposed" to like them if you're a critic or a collegiate hipster type, but if I tried playing a Belle and Sebastian CD at work I'd probably get beat up.

I define "music you're supposed to like" as that favored by the people you actually live and work with on a daily basis. Here in decidely non-hipster Macomb County, there's a whole bunch of bland MOR rock, classic rock, and "modern country" that I'm supposed to favor, but don't.

Originally posted by OldTimey

I love Nirvana. It's one of the areas Oblong is wrong about.

we aren't asking what you love, we are asking what you don't like htat you are supposed to. Dummy.

Originally posted by guy incognito

Early in the thread somebody mentioned Belle and Sebastian. Maybe you're "supposed" to like them if you're a critic or a collegiate hipster type, but if I tried playing a Belle and Sebastian CD at work I'd probably get beat up.

I define "music you're supposed to like" as that favored by the people you actually live and work with on a daily basis. Here in decidely non-hipster Macomb County, there's a whole bunch of bland MOR rock, classic rock, and "modern country" that I'm supposed to favor, but don't.

Well, this definition is wrong so Belle and Sebastian still stands.