holygoat

Bands you're supposed to like, but don't

Originally posted by OldTimey

I do not dislike Hendrix. In fact there is a lot of Hendrix I like. I just don't like it as much as a lot others.

The title of the thread cleary indicates bands you don't like. If you don't dislike Hendrix then you can't post that in here.

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

The title of the thread cleary indicates bands you don't like. If you don't dislike Hendrix then you can't post that in here.

My insides hurt...

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

(listen to Voodoo Chile Slight Return really loud and tell me you don't like Hendrix)

Not liking Hendrix is like being against sex. I had my first bad trip listening to the maestro in 1970 and I still wouldn't trade it for anything. The opening riot scene of "In the Name of the Father" is backed up by Voodoo Chile and it is unbelievable. It really captures the anarchic joy of the times.

Now go write "I really love Hendrix" 200 times on the blackboard Bart Simpson.

I'm glad my kids don't read my posts. :smoker:

Originally posted by zachcadillac

This is the definitive answer.

I dunno. Are they really that critically acclaimed -- to the point where the question of their greatness is virtually begged? Hendrix is a better example, IMO.

I'll add the Velvet Underground.

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

They are pretty huge. I think they've been the biggest touring act in America for a few years now.

Oh, there's no question about their popularity, but I know more people who hate tham than like them. I guess I should've framed the question more specifically. I was going more for bands whose "greatness" most people don't challenge out of either a.) fear of looking stupid or b.) not wanting to deal with the hassle of defending their opinion.

Bruce Springsteen. I remember the him on the cover of Rolling Stone around '83 when he hit that elite status and everyone was raving about him. I never got it. The only song I can listen to is Pink Caddilac, and that's a cheesy song, but it has an innocent feel.

Originally posted by holygoat

Only if you're dumb enough not to like Hendrix.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Hendrix is awesome.

Originally posted by tigersfan25

Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam's "Ten" is my favorite album of all time. They did, however, get progressively worse to the point of me being unable to even listen.

I absolutely despise everything about R.E.M.