Sign in to follow this  
smr-nj

Can you believe this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/27/911.toy.ap/index.html

9/11 toy found inside candy bags

Wholesaler recalls 14,000 bags it bought from Miami import firm

Friday, August 27, 2004 Posted: 5:19 PM EDT (2119 GMT)

story.toy.ap.jpg

A Miami wholesaler is recalling 14,000 bags of candy containing this toy plane suspended between two buildings.

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Small toys showing an airplane flying into the World Trade Center were packed inside more than 14,000 bags of candy and sent to small groceries around the country before being recalled.

Lisy Corp., the wholesaler that distributed the candy, said Friday that the toys were purchased in bulk from a Miami-based import company.

The toys came in an assortment purchased sight unseen from L&M Import in Miami and included the toys depicting the attacks on the World Trade Center of September 11, 2001, along with whistles and other small toys, said Luis Pedron, Lisy's national sales manager. The invoice described the toy as a plastic swing set.

"I hate to blame the importer. He probably did not know what he was getting. He brings them in 40-foot containers. But whoever made it knew exactly what they were making," Pedron said.

Pedron said Lisy did not notice the small plastic figurines until two people complained, but there is no mistaking what the toys represent: At the bottom of each is the product number 9011.

"When we found out what happened, we recalled them immediately," said Pedron, who said the toys do not reflect the company's view. "I was offended by them."

The company's 100 distributors sent out the candy bags. Most are sold to small Hispanic and Mexican groceries, Pedron said. He estimated about 90 percent of the bags have been collected.

Anna Rodriguez, who bought a bag of the candy for her grandson, said she was stunned when she saw the toy.

"It makes me angry," she told television station WFTV. "I was offended because I couldn't believe that someone would give something like that to a kid."

Pedron said he is saving the toys to return to the distributor.

A woman who answered the telephone at L&M and refused to give her name said Friday she did not know anything about the toy.

Sorry. I couldn't believe it. But I had no comment. So I tried to avoid a "hey, look, I was here" post.

But since that didn't work -- hey, look, I was here.

I think the fact that someone thought there is a market for this toy speaks volumes about the depth of the hatred for the U.S. in some places.

I was like Shabba. I still don't know quite what to say to it, such a sad world we live in sometimes.

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

I think the fact that someone thought there is a market for this toy speaks volumes about the depth of the hatred for the U.S. in some places.

Maybe there's a silver lining to this dark cloud. Maybe the audience for this "toy" was not as large as the manufacturer thought so they unloaded it in bulk to cut their losses. You can only hope.

My question is "Where were these things made?" The story mentioned Miami-based import company & that it is meant for sale in Hispanic/Mexican groceries, but where did it come from?

I can't believe that Mexico would do something like this? China? Middle East?

Originally posted by djhutch

My question is "Where were these things made?" The story mentioned Miami-based import company & that it is meant for sale in Hispanic/Mexican groceries, but where did it come from?

I can't believe that Mexico would do something like this? China? Middle East?

I'm doubting it is put out by a government of a country. It wouldn't be that far of a leap for a private company to put this out. I'm not saying it isn't in extremely poor taste, just that it doesn't necessarily, or even probably, come from a country of origin that is "anti-American".

Originally posted by Mattingly70

I'm doubting it is put out by a government of a country. It wouldn't be that far of a leap for a private company to put this out. I'm not saying it isn't in extremely poor taste, just that it doesn't necessarily, or even probably, come from a country of origin that is "anti-American".

I don't think he was saying that. I'm thinking that either the manufacturer and the plant workers knew what they were making or they didn't. And I would wonder how far removed from civilization you'd have to be to make them and not know what you are making.

Here's the Osama toy that Oblong referred to:

3691017.jpg

http://www.wftv.com/newsofthestrange/3691006/detail.html

MIAMI -- In Miami, a wholesaler has announced that his company will recall 14,000 bags of candy.

The bags contain a toy that looks like a plane flying into a building and, we found, a second toy that looks like Osama Bin Laden suspended between the two buildings.

Eyewitness News broke this story, but, for the first time, we had the chance to speak with a representative from the corporation that distributed the candy.

"Importers did not realize what they were buying. They were buying assortments of toys and they get to people like us trying to sell authentic Mexican candies. Nobody caught it and it went out into the stores," explains Lisy Corporation manager Luis Pardon.

The manager of Lisy Corporation says the candy was originally purchased sight unseen, but now he'll send back all he's collected.

Why is Osama nude? And I hope Ebay would cancel any auction once they notice it's there. You never know though...

Originally posted by Yoda

Why is Osama nude? And I hope Ebay would cancel any auction once they notice it's there. You never know though...

Isn't it a free market? If the scumbag who tries to sell this is willing to take the heat for doing so why should it be stopped? It isn't illegal. It's in insanely poor taste and I'm sure it is offensive as hell to anyone associated with 9/11, but it isn't an illegal product. I'm partly playing devil's advocate here, so keep the vitriolic pro-American attacks muted.

Ebay is also free to control what is sold through their site.

Unless someone gets shut down by a government or goes to jail, then I have no issue.

I never said it was or should be illegal.

I just was incredulous that they were even manufactured somewhere, and then included in candy bags.

You still should have stopped here:

Originally posted by Mattingly70

It's in insanely poor taste and I'm sure it is offensive as hell...

Everything is permissible, but everything is not beneficial.