TigersDraftPick

MIKE RIVERA>>>Rookie of the Year Fan Club

I like what I've seen from Rivera so far. One thing he has to work on is getting down on low pitches and he tends to try to backhand pitches that are to his glove side. It's too early to say ROY, but if he bats .280 over 440 at-bats or so, he'll be in the top 2 in the voting.

But 3 past balls in a game? His defense might be what will keep him from ROY even if he puts up big offense numbers. Lets hope yesterday was just a bad day for him.

Yeah, three passed balls is a tad excessive but I'd be willing to bet he learned from those mistakes. It's more technique than anything else. I just hope the Tigers leave him alone and let him play through his mistakes. So far, they have. I bet Garner would've benched him after 3 PB's.

Rivera does let the ball get past him, but his bat has looked good and his throwing out runners is good.

The funny thing about Meluskey is we are all concerned about his shoulder and he goes and plays great D. Throwing out about what 60 percent of the runners and blocking the plate well. Now he's out and it has nothing to do with his shoulder.

I guess he'll be back sometime in May and that'll be good.

Inge had a good start last year as he got all fast balls to hit....then as pitchers threw him breaking balls he slumped. BUt Inge didnt hit the ball as hard as Rivera or have 33 HR and 100 RBI in the minors either.

Simon will slump.....but 6 homeruns in 22 games wow. When will the pitchers try to walk him? He only has 2 walks?

Bonds has like 25 walks and 8 homers.....perhaps Simon will get more walks if he keeps this up.

Its not like a great hitter is backing up Simon either....Usually Shane Halter is there.

Walks are as much the responsibility of the hitter as they are the pitcher. Vlad Guererro doesn't draw walks, neither does Nomar. If pitchers aren't gonna "pitch around" those guys I don't see them pitching around Simon. He doesn't draw walks because every time he swings he makes contact.