jake

Playing those who deserve it

Pujols is trying a new concept. He's playing the guys who perform.

Someday we might even get a manager who plays the guys that are the most likely to perform. I'm not a big fan of riding streaks. Still it's nice to see Simon getting AB's against lefties. Now he just has to come up with a way to get Meluskey and Rivera in the lineup regularly (i can't come up with a way that doesn't end up with Young at 3B. Ick.)

I love Pujols' strategy. Forget about playing guys just because they make more. It's "what have you done on the field lately" that matters.

It may change soon, but that means I'm happy to see guys like Simon, Cruz, Pauquette, Fick everday!

I think he could care less what our record is or what somebody makes, Puljos is interested only in putting a good team on the field for that day. Having Felipe by his side has HAD to have helped him thus far.

Pujols said Friday that while he will continue to alternate his catchers for the rest of April, he wants to choose either Michael Rivera or Mitch Meluskey as his principal catcher after the first month of the season. Unlike Phil Garner, who planned to use Meluskey as the designated hitter sometimes when Rivera was catching, Pujols said he would keep his backup catcher on the bench.

While Rivera has been pounding the ball, Mitch has been fighting his way out of a slump, but still has a higher OBP. Both have been playing much better defense than expected.

Someday we might even get a manager who plays the guys that are the most likely to perform. I'm not a big fan of riding streaks.

Unless you have a roster which consists primarily of backup and utility players, which the Tigers do.

Pujols said Friday that while he will continue to alternate his catchers for the rest of April, he wants to choose either Michael Rivera or Mitch Meluskey as his principal catcher after the first month of the season. Unlike Phil Garner, who planned to use Meluskey as the designated hitter sometimes when Rivera was catching, Pujols said he would keep his backup catcher on the bench.

If this goes through, it'll be the first of Pujols' decisions I've wholeheartedly disagreed with. Meluskey's bat is too valuable to keep on the bench. Hopefully Meluskey will still get ABs -- I appreciate what Simon's done lately, but in the long run, Meluskey is still a better option as the DH vs. rightys. If someone does figure this out, I'll eat my words. I think I'm safe.

I completely agree Zach - Meluskey would have to be the odd man out, becasue you are not going to bench Rivera, as you'd be better off with him getting consistant AB's in the minors.

Meluskey's slump still garners him a better obp - that speaks volumes to me in terms of his value to us. Either we find a place for him to get consistant AB's with us or we deal him to fill a hole. He has proven that he is healthy enough to catch - so he should have value to other teams, and his contract is not an issue.

Chicago Cubs are probably looking for a catcher since Hundley is hurt again and has been a bust there. Furthermore Chicago has one of the highest rated farm systems, so I'm sure Dave Dombrowski can find a player or two that he sees something in that we'd get in return. Any trade we would make would have to garner us a back-up catcher in return as well, and Joe Girardi would be a great back-up for Rivera in Detroit.

How is Brandon Inge progressing in Toledo??

as of 4-12-02 inge's stats were:

AVG- .222

G- 7

AB- 18

R- 1

H- 4

2B- 0

3B- 0

HR- 0

RBI- 0

BB- 4

SO- 5

SB- 0

CS- 2

SLG- .222

OBP- .417

E- 3

when i was at the game last weekend he did pretty well. the highlights i remember of inge were that he threw someone out attempting to steal 2b and he got a walk.