Ron Burgandy

BP Mid Season Awards

Here are some interesting comments about our guys from those guys on the BP page listed above:

Gary Huckaby:

** .500 in June? Who does that?

** Pat Gillick's swollen resume precludes me from making a comment about Carlos Guillen.

Derek Zumsteg

** While the Freddy Garcia for Jeremy Reed/Miguel Olivo trade won Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi a lot of praise, it should also be noted that Bavasi attempted to trade Carlos Guillen (.329/.394/.560) to the Indians for Omar Vizquel (.297/.363/.392). After that failed, he signed Rich Aurilia (.246/.310/.345) and traded Guillen for Ramon Santiago (.143/.280/.190 in limited use).

Ryan Wilkins

** What can you say? Pudge gets the bump over Vlad thanks to positional scarcity and defense

** Two Red Sox, two Tigers, and no one from a first place team? Welcome to CrazyWorld.

Joe Sheehan

** He's the third-best hitter in the league and he catches. By improving even as he moves past 1,600 games caught, Ivan Rodriguez has established a unique career path for a catcher. He might even add a second AL MVP award to his mantle.

** Two Tigers in the top three of an MVP ballot. That's just weird.

Jim Baker

** Up until recently I would have had Guillen ahead of his teammate, but Pudge has been putting the spurs to it of late

Will Carroll

** Pudge is doing an encore to last season's legend-making. Any catcher fighting for a batting title should get double credit. I'd love to see Trammell protect him by giving him some DH time, using Brandon "Pod 2004" Inge at catcher.

** ...but Guillen is the real surprise. Dombrowski and crew aren't getting enough credit.

Nate Silver

** For the first time since I hit puberty, there's a Detroit Tiger who is a legitimate MVP candidate and you think I'm not going to vote for him? Are you kidding me?

Dan Perry

** Guillen's manning shortstop and hitting .340/.413/.623 on the road, and he's faced the toughest collection of pitchers of any serious MVP contender.

Jonah Keri

** Carlos Guillen could easily be in Pudge's [#5] spot here too, but we'll go with the player with the longer track record.

Clay Davenport

** I don't think he will sustain it, but through yesterday I think Guillen has been the best player in the American League. I never thought I would ever write that.

Chris Kahrl

** My ballot is no doubt a bit predictable, what with the two Tiggers, and Vladi finally playing everyday away from the frigid tyranny of baseball's enserfed Team 30.

Steven Goldman

** Detroit's flirtation with respectability can't be attributed to any one player, but it is undeniable that for the second year in a row Pudge-Rod's presence has proved inspiring to an otherwise rudderless franchise, and we haven't even mentioned his standout season at a position hungry for offense.

** Motor City's other liberator, Guillen is the golden goose who laid the egg on Bavasi's face. Note that away from Corporate Park/Detroit he's hitting .340/.413/.623.

Michael Wolverton

- No Tiger specific comments -

-------------------------------

Interestingly, only one person, Jonah Keri, did not have Guillen in a top 5 spot. Everyone had Pudge in the top 5.

Wow. A couple even had Carlos at #1. Lots of love for the Tigers. Whoda think that would happen a year ago?????? (Certainly not Seattle).

I expected Pudge to be up there, but I didn't expect Guillen. This is really surprising, and really cool. Of course, the national media won't notice.

Originally posted by zachcadillac

Who cares? The national media is stupid.

I don't really consider BP to be "national media". They're a little more knowledgable than ESPN, SI, Fox Sports, etc.

Originally posted by Yoda

I don't really consider BP to be "national media". They're a little more knowledgable than ESPN, SI, Fox Sports, etc.

I think that's what Zach meant.

"The difference between Barry Bonds' and Scott Rolen's respective offensive contributions this season is greater than the difference between Frank Thomas' and Jeff DaVanon's."

That's amazing, espeically considering the year Rolen has had.

Originally posted by tiger337

I think that's what Zach meant.

Ah my bad. Thank god :classic:

I'm still stuck on Monday this week.

Originally posted by Edman85

"The difference between Barry Bonds' and Scott Rolen's respective offensive contributions this season is greater than the difference between Frank Thomas' and Jeff DaVanon's."

That's amazing, espeically considering the year Rolen has had.

Some of the comments/stats regarding Bonds are absolutely incredible....he currently has more walks than total outs? Are you serious?!?!

In what Barry Bonds is currently doing.....baseball fans are seeing something that in all probability will never be done again...whether they like it or not. It's simply amazing!

Originally posted by zachcadillac

Who cares? The national media is stupid.

Yeah. Just saying.

As for Bonds, don't you think he'd have a lower OBP if they just pitched to him? I suppose then he'd have a lot more HRs though. The guy is amazing.

Of course, the comments like the one about Rolen's relative performance vs Bonds compared to DaVanon's vs Thomas' aren't likely to be true. All the metrics BP uses aren't necessarily valid in the range of performance that Bonds is putting up. We really have no idea how good Bonds is at the moment, the only thing we know is that he's alot better than everyone else.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

We really have no idea how good Bonds is at the moment, the only thing we know is that he's alot better than everyone else.

I think that, right there, is largely what makes this so amazing....

I have no idea if Bonds is on steroids or not. But I do know this: lots of players take steroids. Nobody is doing what Bonds does. He is simply amazing.