cruzer1

Long Tiger Home Runs...

Last night's bomb by Munson has to rank in the top 10 of my all-time Tiger Home Runs. It reminds me of a HR by Larry Herndon he hit in '87 against the Blue Jays that was a rocket off the 2d level at Tiger Stadium. That was one of the last games of the year, and I think Tanana pitched that game. A few others that come to mind:

Juan Encarnacion's HR vs the Yankees in '02. At Yankee Stadium, into the black. I have never seen a ball hit that far there.

Cecil Fielder's 50th at Yankee Stadium. A no-doubter, although there was a question whether it would be fair.

Kirk Gibson, in '83 I believe. It was a rooftop job that landed on the building across the street from Tiger Stadium. I think it was a lumber company.

Fielder's rooftop job in left field at Tiger Stadium in 2002. I remember it was in left center, I remember it took one bounce, and I still remember George Kell saying "it went over the roof!"

Fielder hit a ball over the stands in Milwaukee's old County Stadium that was a classic.

Jason Thompson hit 3 or 4 over the roof, hence the nickname "Rooftop Thompson"

Jackson's HR in '71 all-star game, but don't forget Hank Aaron hit one of his longer HR's there too.

In '75, one of Hank's last HR's, was at a game I attended. Not real long, but a HR I'll never forget.

How far did Munson's ball go?...He hit it almost straight over the 420 foot mark and it landed ar least 40 foot over the wall in CF off a railing about 15 feet up where there seem to be press boxes or something.

Originally posted by LansingLugnut

would have been 17 feet over the CF fence in Tiger stadium.

I believe that TS wasn't actually 440. I don't know the actual figure but somebody measured it and it wasn't 440.

August 25, 1990, Cecil Fielder facing the A's Dave Stewart, becomes the first Tiger in history to homer over the left field roof at the historic Detroit ballpark. I was sitting with my dad in the upper deck box seats in left field when Cecil CRUSHED that baseball. Big Mac and Canseco homered early, but the Tigers won 14-4. That was as awesome a game as any '84 World Series ones I attended. Cecil got a prolonged standing ovation from 45,000 strong. 475+ feet.

Longest shot by any Tiger. Ever.

I'm been looking for a list, that shows the longest homeruns, hit at the Copa and who hit them, can anyone help me out here? and who are the only players to hit it out to dead center.???

I was just a little kid in the 60s but I seem to remember seeing Rick Reichert of the Angels hit one on to the roof in left and Norm Cash on to or over the roof in right. Both happened on ball or bat days because those were the days my dad would make the three hour drive to take me to a game.

I was at the game last night, and I believe that if the stadium wasn't in the way, that home run would've traveled at least another 50 feet. It was a line drive and a blast.

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

I believe that TS wasn't actually 440. I don't know the actual figure but somebody measured it and it wasn't 440.

You are correct - it wasn't 440 - it was either 427 or 421 as I recall. By the by, how does somebody mess that up???

Originally posted by lionstigersand...

You are correct - it wasn't 440 - it was either 427 or 421 as I recall. By the by, how does somebody mess that up???

intimidation factor :classic:

The close gaps made CF seem that much deeper. I always believed it was that deep until they actually measured it.

Originally posted by Hamilton's Finest

I'm been looking for a list, that shows the longest homeruns, hit at the Copa and who hit them, can anyone help me out here? and who are the only players to hit it out to dead center.???

I know JD Drew hit one maybe two out there, Troy Glaus too if I remember corectly.

Norm Cash hit one over the rightfield roof. It cleared everything including the building across the street from the old TS. That might have been the longest ball I've ever seen hit.

Didnt Frank Howard and Harmon Killebrew hit the leftfield roof and over? (along with Mantle) I think Franks was hit harder then any Ive seen. Its hard to be objective when your mouth is gaping open and your eyes are bugging out.

No other ballpark has 420 feet to CF.

Colorado is listed at 415 to CF.

Florida and the Mets (Shea) have 410 to CF.

Why is it so far at CoPa??

Originally posted by LansingLugnut

Why is it so far at CoPa??

I don't know. However, after reading the forum the past few years, I have been able to deduce who is responsible for it. Depending on who you ask, one of these people is to blame:

Mike Ilitch

Dave Dombrowski

Greg Smith

Randy Smith

The Hankook Tire Company

Alan Trammell

Bud Selig

George Bush

Steve Kemp

The cast of "Friends"

Brandon Inge

Charley Marcuse

The triumvirate of Gardner, White, and Bill Bonds

Bobby Higginson

Canada

Rod Allen

Martha Stewart

Donald Rumsfeld

Laz Diaz

The Steelworkers & Millwrights local 413

Mike Laga

Fox News Channel

PAWS

John Kerry

Karlos Pena

Pete Rose

Coleman Young's cryogenicly preserved head

Cade Gaspar

Jim Price

Michael Moore

Matt Nokes

Maurice Clarett

The Liberal Media

Michael J. Fox (The Anti-Elvis)

and finally I can't leave out the Sith lord, George Steinbrenner.

Originally posted by WMUDan

Toker forgot John McHale.

I am sure there are plenty of other responsible parties that I forgot.

For the record, its ex-toker. :cool:

Originally posted by Hongbit

For the record, its ex-toker. :cool:

Time for a name change? :cool:

Originally posted by tim48035

The longest HR I ever saw at CoPa was Russel Branyon's huge shot over the CF fence a couple of years ago, but Munson's bested that by quite a bit.

The longest I've witnessed on TV was Kirk Gibson's shot over the roof. It landed in a lumber yard if I recall correctly. I remember it was on PASS sports, and remember the call like it was yesterday...."it's on the roof...over the roof!"

July 2, 1997. I only remember the actual date because it was the day the tornado swept through Hamtramck and Highland Park.

Earlier that day the Tigers were taking on the Mets. Maybe the muggiest day I ever remember (hence the storms).

Late in the game (6th or 7th inning) Melvin Nieves hit a ball into the centerfield bleachers, the upper deck. It didn't just get there, it got at least halfway up and it was a line freaking drive, a laser. Never seen a ball hit that hard and go that far that fast.

Made the hair on my arm stand up. (Actually it was the supercharged air and humidity that made the armhairs standup, but I'll give Melvin the credit for nostalgia purposes).

Got home at 5:15, turned on the telly and they showed a live shot of Tiger Stadium - the sky was black and the no parking and bus stop signs were parallel to the ground from the wind.

I just left there 15 minutes earlier.

Actually found the box score from that day. It was in the 8th inning.

http://www.ultimatemets.com/gamedetail.php?gameno=5661

Can't believe I missed it. Is there any streaming replays of it anywhere?