Biff Mayhem

What happened the day you were born?

Excerpt from the book in game by game form of the 1968 Tigers (Can't remember the name of the book)

September 16

Tonight could be the night.

The Yankees were in town with a ten-game winning streak while the Tigers had won six straight.

There was amusement among the Tigers because of what Joe Cronin had done earlier in the day. The league president fired two umpires, Al Salerno and Bill Valentine, because they were attempting to organize an umpires' association. "Incompetence," was Cronin's reason, and it made Dick McAuliffe chuckle.

John Hand, the clubhouse man, had 108 bottles of champagne stashed away on ice just in case.

The Tigers won without trouble. Norm Cash hit a home run and a single and drove in five runs.

The bullpen rested again as John Hiller pitched the tenth straight complete game. He handled the Yankees, 9-1.

The Tigers were positive of a tie for the pennant. They trooped into the clubhouse and watched the pro football game in St. Louis on TV. They waited while the Orioles played the Red Sox to a conclusion in Boston. Finally the score came, the Orioles winners, 8-1. The bright TV lights were turned off and everybody went home to wait.

The Tigers did not win the pennant tonight. They would have to wait at least until tomorrow night's game with the Yankees. But they had cut the magic number to one.

****The Tigers won the AL pennant the next day.

I was born between games 4 and 5 of the 1962 World Series. The game got rained out that day. Or maybe they just didn't want me to miss game 5.

It was a glorious day June 11, 1979. Seems like it was one of the final days of the Les Moss era. On that day it saw the Jack Morris out duel Steve McCatty and the Tigers beat the Athletics 3-1.

Milt Wilcox pitched a complete game, allowing 4 hits, 1 run, walking one and striking out 7. Tigers won 6-1 over Minnesota.

The Tigers were probably close to reporting to Spring Training in 1962. I was born 2/18/62.

Originally posted by tiger337

I was born between games 4 and 5 of the 1962 World Series. The game got rained out that day. Or maybe they just didn't want me to miss game 5.

Whoever said your avatar picture was deceiving was right. I have always pictured you as a "young buck" because of your avatar!

Tigers lose 8-4 to the A's. Dan Petry takes the loss while Darrell Evans and Chet Lemon both hit homeruns. Dropped their record to 71-67.

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

Whoever said your avatar picture was deceiving was right. I have always pictured you as a "young buck" because of your avatar!

I need to look young for any young chicks that pass through here.

Originally posted by estrepe1

I was born during the strike of 1981.

Did that include Feb 5th of that year? That's when I was born.

I think the strike was only 50 days long. It took out only one whole month of baseball July, which is when I was born.

Doubleheader

1st Game

The Tigers lost 3-1 to the Yankees.

WP Whitey Ford

LP Denny McLain

2nd Game

The Tigers beat the Yankees 5-1.

WP Joe Sparma

LP Gil Blanco

I never heard of Gil Blanco. He was 19 years old when he pitched in this game. He has a lifetime record of 3 Wins and 5 Losses.

Also on this day:

Jim Clark won the Indy 500. His win is notable as it is the first rear engine car ever to win.

:alien:

February 8, 1952 - pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, and Tigers' management is putting the finishing touches on a roster that will go 50-104.

July 11th, 1967....

Anaheim Stadium - Anaheim, California.

Don Drysdale gets this win as the National League beats the American league 2-1. Catfish Hunter gets the loss, as the National League scores in the top of the ninth to get victory. Tom Seaver collects the save for the NL squad.

Tigers in the game...

Bill Freehan, Al Kaline (replaced due to injury) and Dick McCauliffe!

Game Played on Thursday, June 17, 1976 (N) at Metropolitan Stadium

Minnesota Twins 4, Detroit Tigers 0

Aurelio Rodriguez had two hits for the Tigers but Detroit only had 3 hits in a shutout by the Twinkies. Dave Goltz got the win for Minnesota and Vern Ruhle got the loss. Game was cancelled due to rain in the 5th. Not sure if it was complete or not.

Time of Game: 1:50 Attendance: 5361

Hey guys at looking at that site I notice there was a Detroit Woverines franchise but I swore there was a team called the Detroit Creams before the Tigers?

Originally posted by Charles Liston

February 8, 1952 - pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, and Tigers' management is putting the finishing touches on a roster that will go 50-104.

I'm January 27, 1952 so I think Charles did my work for me. Thanks!:classic:

9-12-75

Mike Torrez out pitches Joe Coleman and Dyar Miller picks up the save as Balitmore defeats Detroit in 11 innings 6-4. Detroit's record drops to 55-92 enrout to a 57-102 record, only the 2nd 100 loss record in Tigers history(it certainly wouldn't be the last though).

Originally posted by IdahoBert

I'm January 27, 1952 so I think Charles did my work for me.

Bert, did you notice a trend during the first 50 years...the Tigers won when we were 16, and again when we were 32. Therefore, they should have won again when we were 48 (in 2000). Somehow that continuum was disrupted by Randy Smith.

Originally posted by Charles Liston

Bert, did you notice a trend during the first 50 years...the Tigers won when we were 16, and again when we were 32. Therefore, they should have won again when we were 48 (in 2000). Somehow that continuum was disrupted by Randy Smith.

I have noticed this, Charles, and Randy Smith seems to be a logical culprit. Less logically, there was a 23-year gap between 1945 and 1968. Maybe we'll win in 2007! That might be possible! The least logical possibility is that Randy Smith sent us off to an alternate universe where the Tigers didn't win in 2000 and that everyone on this site needs to wear pyramid Devo hats and chant "Doooooon Weeerrrrrrrt" to get us back. Are we not (wo)men?

Pitchers' duel between Jim Bunning and Minnesota's Lee Strange. Strange pitched a 5 hitter, 1-0 shutout with Harmon Killebrew hitting his 15th homer of the season with 2 out in the 3rd inning.

That was Strange's best season, 12-5 2.62 era. 62-61 lifetime. We made mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young pitcher back then too I see.:cheeky: