WMUDan

2004 NBA Draft Thread

Originally posted by WMUDan

Dwight Howard goes #1 to Orlando.

I think he's the right pick for them.

I disagree. Okeafor, unless there is a problem with his back.

Originally posted by cruzer1

Orlando's not going to be good for a while, by the time their ready to really make a run I feel that Howard will be a much better player than Okafor. It's the classic upside argument.

PG Ben Gordon goes #3 to the Bulls.

Da Bulls are loaded with young players in the backcourt.

Poor Luol Deng. He should go soon, but he lost alot of money when Chicago didn't take him. He can play.

Originally posted by osurower

Josh Childress before Loul Deng? I don't see it but I don't get paid to make picks.

Agreed.

#5 DAL (from WAS) - Devin Harris

#6 ATL - Josh Childress

#7 CHI (from PHO) - Loul Dang

#8 TOR - Rafel Araujo

#9 PHI - Andre Iguodala

Since the Pistons dont have any picks (and dont really need any WORLD CHAMPS BABY!!! sorry. I still llike saying that) I'm only watching this god awful event so I'll have a point of reference on Simmons draft recap tomorrow on espn page 2. His NBA draft timeline of events is always one of his best columns of the year.

I'm getting tired of hearing all these stupid "trades" that can't go through because of the consecutive first round trade rule.

Is the rule really working or are the NBA GM's just finding new ways to get around it?

So it looks like the Bulls are coming out ahead already. They get Gordon and pass on Deng with their first pick, but they figured he would be around and got him at 7. Basically, they moved up their extra draft pick from 7 to 3 by being creative

10 SF Luke Jackson, Oregon to Cleveland

11 PF Andris Biedrins, Latvia to Golden State

12 C Robert Swift, Bakersfield HS to Seattle

Originally posted by osurower

Does anyone else find Steven Smith irritating and obnoxious?

Always

I think Steven A. Smith is pretty funny.

Thank you Dickie V. for bitching about the high school kids in the draft. Unless you're a top 5 pick or something, go to college. Then become a top 5 pick. Or prove that you suck. Either way, it's crazy to draft someone that you have no idea if they'll pan out or not.

Originally posted by black_sandals

I think Steven A. Smith is pretty funny.

Thank you Dickie V. for bitching about the high school kids in the draft. Unless you're a top 5 pick or something, go to college. Then become a top 5 pick. Or prove that you suck. Either way, it's crazy to draft someone that you have no idea if they'll pan out or not.

There are going to be college picks that turn out to be busts too. I'm not sure if you are saying that the players shouldn't enter the draft, or the teams shouldn't draft them. In the player's perspective, it would be very hard to turn down a chance to play in the NBA. Duhon would have been a much higher pick in 2002 than now. It is almost safe for players to avoid their stock dropping. For the teams, they are just looking for the next Garnett. I dont see fault in either the players or the teams.

Originally posted by cruzer1

I agree Cruzer, I think Okeafor was the best player in this draft unless that back is going to be a huge problem.

I also would debate whether college really makes you a significantly better player. If you know your going to be a first round player, why even bother with college? You can make millions and spend all the time you would have spent in the classroom working on your ballgame. If these guys can't make it in the pros, there is good chance college wouldn't have changed that. There is also a good chance college would have exposed them as a fraud! These kids are taking the money first and learning the game second....and I don't blame them.

Dicky V is trying to protect his livelyhood. He sounds like a whiner now! I do wish though that these high school kids were forced to at least spend one year in college like college football! I think it would make basketball the game it was 10 years ago!