eastside billee

Dimitri Vs. Simon

Isn't Simon hitting like they thought Dimitri would?

Shouldn't they both be in the lineup all the time, that is as long as they keep this up?

Doesn't Dimitri kind of remind you of Simon visually?

I just think there are a lot of similarities..

I'd like them both in the line-up everyday. Dmitri for what we know he can do, and Simon for what he has been doing.

I'd also like to see Jacob Cruz in there everyday.

i think dmitri, simon and fick need to play everyday. i also think that magee needs to play center every day.

As long as the season is most likely down the tubes anyway, I'd like them to keep playing torres in center as long as he keeps hitting.

I agree that young simon and fick need to be in the lineup everyday. Maybe with deano back on the dl meluskey will dh and rivera will get more at bats at catcher.

As long as the season is most likely down the tubes anyway, I'd like them to keep playing torres in center as long as he keeps hitting.

torres is hurt...i think he pulled a muscle or something and is day to day..that's why he hasn't been playing. i like magee in center. he goes out there and plays with all he has! i like torres out there too. he is perfect for the park with his speed and a pretty good lead off guy!

also...the season ISN'T most likely down the tubes! there has only been 14 games. we still have 148 games to go. that's still a lot of the season left to play and WIN games!

GO TIGERS!

there has only been 14 games. we still have 148 games to go.
Exactly, let's remember this when we are talking about Simon, he's hitting well know but it'sonly 14 games, same goes for Magee.

By down the tubes I mean they are pretty much out of the playoffs already( I would love for the Tigers to prove me wrong). I'm not sure they can even finish .500. If this is the case I believe it would be better to play the center fielder of the future ( I know Torres is day to day) than to play Magee.

Like I said before as long as Torres keeps hitting he should play.

i agree with you, however...the tigs aren't exactly out of it just yet. once they win tonight they are only 7 1/2 games back.

Simon definately deserves to play everyday, as do Young and Fick. Cruz and Magee have earned some playing time, but there just isnt enough room for everyone. Torres has the most upside in center so he must play. I think they will all get their fair share of playing time now that Deano is shut down. This may be harsh, but I believe the team would be better off without Deano. He should just retire.

We have a problem in that we have Simon, Young, Fick, Rivera, and Meluskey, who all need AB's, but we don't have enough spots for them. Simon should get AB's, because we have to decide if he is someone we want to stick with. As a platoon DH he should be solid and if he can hit LHP, he's a pretty good bargain cost player to have around. But with him at DH, Fick in RF, Young at 1B, we still run into the problem of no AB's for either Meluskey or Rivera. Rivera absolutely must get AB's, which leaves Meluskey on the bench. That's a waste of a guy that will probably be our best hitters if we can get him regular AB's.

On ESPN they showed there were 4 hitters with more homers than strikeouts (there were 4 in baseball as of this morning)...WITH AT LEAST 4 HOME RUNS

They are

Lance Berkman 9 homers 6 strikeouts

Barry Bonds 8 homers 3 strikeouts

Brian Giles 4 homers 3 strikeouts

RANDALL SIMON 4 HOMERS 1 STRIKEOUT

IN 35 at bats Simon has struckout once....he must be seing the ball well...Even Ichiro has struckout 6 times already. Keep Simon in the lineup until he slumps absolutely.

Simon doesn't strike out,but he doesn't walk either.Unless he can hit .330 on a consistent basis he won't be more than a bench player.He would make a great pinch hitter in that he can put the bat on the ball with such certainty.He usually doesn't have much power either,so the four homers at this point is probably a bit of a fluke.He has shown he can hit the ball for a fair average,but his obp will remain extremely low since he swings at just about anything close and won't take a walk.I think he will be a valuable guy off the bench and a platoon player.

Based on current performance and prior years capabilities and injuries.

CF Magee - he's only hitting over .500

RF Fick - he's only leading the league in hitting

LF Higgy - he's in a slump, but prior years performance

3B Young - It helps us get another bat in the lineup

1B Simon - Randall can flat out hit

C or DH - Meluskey, OBP, have he and Rivera alternate

C or DH - Rivera, the kid has pop

2B Paquette - I know its a stretch, but he has played 2B every year for the last 5 years, not a lot, but at least some

SS Halter - Shane was great this spring, I'm sure he'll get his bat going

This leaves Cruz out....bummer.

Macias has been struggling, Jackson is available as a backup, with Easley out for a while, we have to do something at second. Salazar? Jackson? Macias or Paquette?

No, if I was Deano I would not "just retire". It is just wishful thinking. I dont really mind if he gets placed on the DL all season though. It does this franchice no good to play him.

Skippy and his sidekick down there in Atlanta were always bragging about Simon and what a nice stroke he has. He's a bit of a free-swinger but he makes good contact often.