eastside billee

I don't Get it!

The realistic aspect of it is that, right now, outfield in our offense hasn't been a need.

That was a quote from Dave Dombrowski on the Tigers website regarding Marcus Thames.

Thames has 24 homers, 59 rbi, and a batting average of .329.

Higgy has 2 homers and Monroe 2 more. Together, Higgy and Monroe don't have the stats of Thames - but there isn't a need?

Is Dombrowski out of him mind. If he was thinking properly, he'd find a place for Thames. Shelton has a spot on this team all season, and his stats last season were not as good as Thames.

Why Shelton and not Thames. Shelton doesn't even have a position. I can see this whole Thames thing blowing up in the Tigers' faces at a later date.

Shelton is a rule 5 draft I believe. If the Tigers put him in the minors the Pirates can take him back if they want and Shelton was a .320 or so hitter with power in the minors last year a good prospect himself.

What team is Thames on?

Can Thames play centerfield anymore - He came as one in the Yankee system?? Imagine a centerfielder with such power!! How about Higginson as a centerfielder - he's surely hitting like one these days.

Alex Sanchez' fifteen minutes if baseball fame is up - the guy needs to take a long walk off of a short pier. I'm betting that he'll be hitting below .300 by the all-star break, while still playing shaky defense and still trying to bunt the ball everytime he's up at the plate.

I don't get it either, eastside billee. I don't see how DD can say that outfield offense isn't a need. The regular outfielders have a total of 13 homers this year, nine by White. Higgy and Sanchez have the power of backup middle infielders. Monroe hasn't done anything to hold down his job of backup outfielder. His defense have been horrific and offensively, he has an OPS under .700 and only 2 HR. I would think Thames deserves a shot over him (and maybe even Sanchez/Higginson). Heck, even sending Norton down to Toledo for Thames would be acceptable. Is Greg really needed now that Dmitri can play the first base, and Dmitri, Inge and even Guillen can backup at third base? I don't think so. There have been a number of personnel moves (or non-moves) by this organization this year that have baffled me. This is one of them.

Originally posted by Shaggy Ry

Alex Sanchez' fifteen minutes if baseball fame is up - the guy needs to take a long walk off of a short pier.

Sorry, but as a rule, Sanchez doesn't walk. :cheeky:

Seriously though guys, you're forgetting a few things: Triple-A ain't the Majors. Someone having success in triple A is NOT going to put up those same numbers in the Majors. Further, Thames is NOT on the 40 man roster, so to get him there, you need to move someone off the 40-man roster. Who are you going to move?

We understand that AAA isn't the majors. But with the amazing numbers he is putting up this year, he is very likely to out produce Monroe, Sanchez and maybe Higginson.

There are a lot of canidates for removal on the 40 man roster: Monroe, Norton, Levine, Yan, Dingman, Patterson, Pena, Cornejo, Eckenstahler, Novoa, Kelly, Logan, Raburn etc.

Originally posted by RedRamage

Seriously though guys, you're forgetting a few things: Triple-A ain't the Majors. Someone having success in triple A is NOT going to put up those same numbers in the Majors. Further, Thames is NOT on the 40 man roster, so to get him there, you need to move someone off the 40-man roster. Who are you going to move?

I agree with a Red. Also, the offense is the least of the Tigers problems right now, the horrid bullpen is. I think thats what DD was getting at when he said, "outfield in our offense hasn't been a need." The pitching, mainly the bullpen, is the need and problem. If you bring Thames up you have to play him and who are you going to sit, frankly I think Higgy is playing pretty good and not trying to hit HR's, White has been great, and Dirty has been fine so far even though he doesn't draw many walks. Thames has never proven he can hit major league pitching so just because he is having a good year in AAA doesn't mean he will come up to the big show and rake.

Originally posted by tigersrok

There are a lot of canidates for removal on the 40 man roster: Monroe, Norton, Levine, Yan, Dingman, Patterson, Pena, Cornejo, Eckenstahler, Novoa, Kelly, Logan, Raburn etc.

Levine, Patterson, Eckenstahler, and Cornejo definatley can be removed. I wouldn't give up on Monroe, Pena, or Raburn yet. I know I am going to get bashed for saying this but I think Norton could be a somewhat valuable bench player/backup. However he shouldn't be in the lineup more than once or MAYBE twice a week.

But why not give someone who is tearing the cover off the ball at AAA a shot over someone who has been failing miserably at his job (on offense and defense) this year (Monroe)?

But why not give someone who is tearing the cover off the ball at AAA a shot over someone who has been failing miserably at his job (on offense and defense) this year (Monroe)?

Because Monroe doesn't play everyday and Thames wouldn't so they are doing Thames a favor by letting him play everday and he will surely get a contract from some team next year.

You would remove Raburn, one of our few promising minor-league hitting prospects, from the 40-man in favor of a journeyman riding a hot three months at AAA?

Drop Norton, bring in Thames, put him in RF and let him play everyday.

Higgy's stats are not good. Batting .270 with 2 hr and twenty some rbi is not that good at all. Thames could do that in his sleep.

Changes need to be made.

Originally posted by RedRamage

Sorry, but as a rule, Sanchez doesn't walk. :cheeky:

I have taken it on the chin for my un-abashed support of Sanchez...I don't think you can give up on him whatsoever, BUT WITH THAT SAID, if OF offense is not a need, even so far as we have a surplus-then what do u do with a surplus??? TRADE SOMEONE....I know it sounds simplistic but maybe this quote is foreshadowing?

If Thames ends up hitting 45 to 50 homers will DD still be saying, in effect, "But we have Alex Sanchez!"

If Thames ends up being Cecil Fielder and we let him go....Then again, he could be like Ron Kittle.

Originally posted by zachcadillac

You would remove Raburn, one of our few promising minor-league hitting prospects, from the 40-man in favor of a journeyman riding a hot three months at AAA?

He wouldn't be the first one I'd remove, but I wouldn't mind if the Tigers removed him from the 40 man. What's so promising about him? There's a sample size issue (97 AB) but this year in a great Erie hitters park he's batting .175/.322/.258. He's not young for the league either (23). Last year at Lakeland, he batted .222/.332/.394. He's a career .259 hitter in the lower levels of the minor leagues. I know he was involved in an accident, but I don't see anything promising about him. I don't get why some posters on this board pine for every semi-prospect the team has. Thames deserves a shot in the majors leagues. I'd rather remove someone who is currently on the major league roster and not performing to clear a spot for him, but I was just listing some other possibilities.

Eckenstahler has no business taking up space on the 40-man roster anymore. For that matter either does Matt Anderson.

Thames is going to need a lot of at-bats, I wonder where he's going to play. Does anybody know if he can play centerfield anymore??

Several guys you can move. Dump Higgy, dish Monroe, get rid of Norton/Levine/Yan...

Trade Monroe to the Royals for a reliever.

Trade Higginson to the Astros for Tim Redding and a prospect.

Release Yan, Norton, Yan.

Okay, realistically, we would have to eat much of Higgy's salary, but since the Stros got rid of Hidalgo, they may be looking for a new outfielder. Redding seems to have talent, and might be good in CoPa, as he has had to play in a hitter's park his whole career.

Monroe is a platoon outfielder, anything we can get for him would be good.

The AStros do need a left handed bat, but we'd have to eat a ton of his salary to make any kind of deal. Honestly, if we could get a couple good prospects, it would be worth it to pay ALL of Higginsons salary for the next two years.

Do you think Bobby would waive his no-trade to head to Houston?? He'd be playing for a contender no doubt - however Detroit is finally winning some games and he might want to stick around for the better times. He seemed to really want to be here early in the season. I'd make any trade in a heartbeat - he's not hitting enough - though in Houston he might still have longball power...

Originally posted by Shaggy Ry

Do you think Bobby would waive his no-trade to head to Houston?? He'd be playing for a contender no doubt - however Detroit is finally winning some games and he might want to stick around for the better times. He seemed to really want to be here early in the season. I'd make any trade in a heartbeat - he's not hitting enough - though in Houston he might still have longball power...

Exactly what I was thinking about Houston...he can still hit the ball far, and he could belt 20 HR by season's end if he is traded there soon. I know his heart is here, but maybe DD could convince him that this is best for the team right now...or at least get his contract restructured. If he loves Detroit that much, maybe he will want to take less money to help out the team. The Stros need another hitter, as their pitching has not been great...but we could do this...

Higgy

Johnson (they need another starter with Pettite ailing)

for

Chris Burke (MIF)

Taylor Bucholz (SP)

Todd Self (1B) (25 in AA)