MotownWebGuy

2004-05 NBA Power Poll

2004-05 NBA Power Poll

By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

1. Detroit. Well-built and should get better.

2. San Antonio. Backup point guard and more clutch shooters on the perimeter are needed.

3. Minnesota. Will dangle Michael Olowokandi and try to prevent a bench exodus.

4. Indiana. Landing Tracy McGrady could vault the Pacers to the top of the league.

5. Sacramento. Regular-season beauty needs playoff nastiness.

6. L.A. Lakers. Must be rid of Shaq or Kobe and must get the right mix back in return.

7. Dallas. Lacking both the will and skill to play consistent defense.

8. Memphis. True center, better depth up front are needed to improve this upstart.

9. Houston. Someone, please, get the ball to Yao Ming.

10. New Jersey. Jason Kidd's knee is hurting, and Kenyon Martin needs a contract.

11. Portland. Draft picks and excess big men ensure a busy summer on the trade market.

12. Utah. Get Matt Harpring healthy, add a free agent and 50 wins are possible.

13. Miami. Playoff run brings momentum, but a big man is needed, as usual.

14. Denver. If coach Jeff Bzdelik survives the summer, he might not survive the season.

15. New York. Better than last season but still only mediocre -- unless Isiah Thomas makes another splash.

16. Milwaukee. Let's see if G.M. Larry Harris and coach Terry Porter can recreate low-budget magic.

17. Cleveland. The Cavs have LeBron James, but they lack a plan to build around him.

18. New Orleans. Move to the West could re-energize the team -- or sink the franchise.

19. Golden State. If the Warriors stay healthy and address the center spot they'll be a surprise.

20. Seattle. What to do with Ray Allen? Swap him for a true post player.

21. Philadelphia. Allen Iverson needs a comeback season; an Olympic spot could hinder that.

22. Phoenix. Good, young talent and athleticism make this a team worth watching.

23. L.A. Clippers. Need to pick a direction at point guard. Depth would help, too.

24. Washington. Moving Jerry Stackhouse would be ideal, and a big man is needed.

25. Toronto. Looks like it's time to trade Vince Carter and start over.

26. Boston. Doc Rivers has not done much in developing young talent -- that must change.

27. Orlando. It could be a long road back to the postseason for the league's worst team.

28. Chicago. Make-or-break season was 2003-04 -- and the Bulls were broken.

29. Atlanta. New owners, new coach, but the result won't change much.

30. Charlotte. Will spend its first few years looking for a franchise player.

I think Deveney does this at this point so that readers can follow along during the offseason as he rates the offseason moves. Still, it's sort of hard to follow his logic. I mean, does putting Nets at #10 assume that Kidd is not going to be healthy? Otherwise, I think they've proved that they're stronger than that. I'd much rather face Houston, Memphis or even Dallas in playoffs than healthy Nets at this moment.

Same logic to apply to 76ers. Their record was terrible because they were missing Iverson for long stretches. If you assume he's healthy, they're a whole different team.

Finally, how do the Knicks get up to #15 at this point?

Still, pretty good rankings and some good props for Stones.

FYI, I went to ESPN site and looked at their season ending rankings out of curiosity. Pistons were ranked #3 (behind Spurs & Twolves) and Lakers were ranked #5. Pretty accurate after all.

I'd guess this is based on the conditions of the teams at this point with all the question marks remaining.

If my guess is correct, I'd even have a hard time putting Detroit No. 1 because of the mysteries surrounding Rasheed and to a much lesser extent Okur and Williamson.

Worst case scenario here with the expainsion draft we could find ourselves without any or down to one real offensive post player if we lose Rasheed, Okur and then have either WIlliamson or Campbell go in the expansion draft. I'm sure all of that won't happen, but if somehow all that comes to fruitition that would be a serious question needing addressed during the offseason.

Right now I think I'd put this as my top 5.

1. San Antonio

2. Detroit

3. Indiana

4. Minnesota

5. Toronto

That No. 5 pick was to see if anyone was paying attention.:classic:

Oh and that top four is really selected not knowing a tremendous amount with what is happening in SA's and Minnesota's homes right now.

I don't see much wrong here...maybe a few things.

Williamson could/should be gone -- give Darko both his minutes and touches.

Rasheed Wallace is all but staying...95% guarantee, I'd say.

Mehmet Okur...I think he'll stay, but it should be interestesting to see how it all plays out.

With that said, I still see Detroit as the TOP DAWG!

JonBenke,

Do you really think Darko is ready for that kind of role? What have you seen of him to think he's even close to competing at the NBA level? I simply haven't seen anything. If anything during his very limited playoff time he looked like he regressed if anything.

I still see Darko as a year away of being a part of any significant rotation. Realistically I could still see it taking much longer than that as well.

Do you really think Darko is ready for that kind of role?

After listening to the Wallace Bros. talk/rave about him...yes. By the start of NEXT SEASON...yes.

I think what we saw...when he played during the PLAYOFFS...was simply nerves.

Imagine how well you'd play in the NBA PLAYOFFS, let alone the FINALS...when you were a SENIOR in high school?

How well do you think Shaq would have played...his senior year?

His senior year was what...1989/90?

How nervous would he have been...playing with the BAD BOYS? I don't care how arogant you are, you are still a kid, playing amongst men.

I listen to how his team mentions his name...and while some might say, WHAT ELSE ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO SAY, there are times when they didn't even have to say anything at all...and still went out of their way to talk not only about him, but of his progress.

Oh, and banging against Ben Wallace all year...doesn't hurt.

I dont know if the Wallace Co. is talking up Darko because he's a young guy who is down because of playing time, and maybe they are just trying to keep his head up, or whether they are telling the truth. Ben and sheed arent the type of teamates that have badmouthed anyone yet, so i dont see why they would talk bad about Darko. I hope they are telling the truth though!

To all the people that said we should have taken Carmelo....

"I'd rather be a superstar on a losing team than a 6th man on a championship team" --Carmelo Anthony prior to the season beginning.

From the Chicago Pre-Draft Camp Last Year. Darko's athletic ability versus Carmello's.

Vertical Jump

Darko - 32.5 inches

Carmello - 33.5 inches

Bench Press Reps 185 Pounds

Darko - 13

Carmello - 7

Lane Agility Test

Darko - 11.3 seconds

Carmello - 11.4seconds

3/4 Court Sprint

Darko - 3.36 seconds

Carmello - 3.15seconds

Can you see where people might have been a bit impressed.

Darko is almost 7'1". Those are some crazy numbers for a guy his size. He hasn't shown a lot of his athleticism because he hasn't really gotten comfortable on the court, but by all acounts, it's there.

I've been to a few Pistons games this year, and have gotten there an hour or so early on two occasions in order to watch Darko warm-up and shoot around.

That being said, I can honestly say that I know why these guys are so high on him. As raw as he is at this point in his career, and he is raw...Darko can really do it all.

He has his post up moves. Hook shot with both hands, turn-around J, turn-around J pump fake, finger roll, etc. Also keep in mind that playing with his back to the basket is the only thing that Larry Brown is wanting him to do at this point, and this is also probably the weakest part of his game. In Europe he was a Tony Kukoc type wing forward. He's much more developed getting the ball on the wing and breaking his man down that way. He hasnt been allowed to even try that YET in Detroit.

He can shoot the three. He was draining them the first time I saw him...he hit seven or eight in a row at one point. Whether he shoots them yet in games or not, the potential is most definitely there.

He's athletic. He runs up and down the court like a deer. Very comfortable, athletic-looking strides. Easily keeping up with Ben Wallace in their sprint drills. His athleticism isnt just in the form of running either...he has some surprisingly nice hops for a seven footer. I saw him doing actual windmill dunks (NO LIE), he was doing double-pump one handed reverse dunks coming under the basket, and then he was jumping from a good ways out and also finishing with dunks. So that raw ability is there as well.

And he has nice handles for a kid his size. So I can see why people are hyped about Darko's potential, and at this point that's all that it really is, potential...but there's a GOOD deal of it. If there was ever such a thing as a five-tooled center...Darko Milicic as a prospect, is a five tooled center. He has the potential to do it all.

I think he has the ability to work about 10-15 minutes a game next season, it should be fun.

Ben and sheed arent the type of teamates that have bad mouthed anyone yet

Yeah, but something tells me that RASHEED WALLACE...wouldn't lie about something like this. This is just my opinion, of course.

Originally posted by we got crabs

To all the people that said we should have taken Carmelo....

"I'd rather be a superstar on a losing team than a 6th man on a championship team" --Carmelo Anthony prior to the season beginning.

What's the source of this quote? I'm not saying that he didn't say it, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.

Boy I dont know about those rankings. Lets say Detroit lost Rasheed and Okur (not going to happen, but it could). I think Detroit then drops down to #10 or so. Even if they just lost Rasheed they would drop to #5 or lower. I imagine that is all based on them signing with us again.

I dont see how people think Darko will play next year either. The kid just looks awful out there. And now with the hand injury shelfing him for 6-8 weeks he will be missing very valuable summer time.

I just cant imagine him playing any kind of role again next season. If everyone comes back - and it looks pretty possible - who do you take the time from? You got Ben and Rasheed, Okur, Corliss, Campbell off the bench. Where will Darko get minutes?

Corliss and Campbell might both be gone. But I agree, Darko will probably not see too much time next year either -- especially with the hand issue.

As for these rankings ... They're about as good as they can be a week after the season. Like someone already said, these will shake and move a dozen times before next season even starts. Kinda like talking NFL in February.

I think Detroit should definitely be listed at #1 right now. People are still talking about the West, but Detroit destroyed the team that beat all the rest of the West. That says something to me. Our toughest challenges were in the East, and I think Indiana could've beat LA as well. Anyway, I don't think you can drop Detroit in the ranking due to the Sheed questions because at this time of year everything is in flux.

As for Darko, I think he should play some minutes next season because it will help him to help us. There are 96 minutes available at the PF/C positions. I see this working:

Ben: 35

Sheed 35

Darko: 10

Campbell or Memo: 16

Not sure if Memo will be here...honestly, I doubt it. If not then we could up Darko's minutes and bring Campbell's down a bit. Looks like Campbell will be here since Corliss is on the expansion draft list not Elden.

I don't see Darko time taking anything from Corliss because he should ALWAYS be playing the SF, never the PF or C if we want to utilize his full potential.

All in all, I think that no matter how things go (other than Sheed leaving) we'll be fine at PF/C...it's the backup guard positions that I'm worried about.

Originally posted by Betrayer

As for Darko, I think he should play some minutes next season because it will help him to help us. There are 96 minutes available at the PF/C positions. I see this working:

Ben: 35

Sheed 35

Darko: 10

Campbell or Memo: 16

Not sure if Memo will be here...honestly, I doubt it. If not then we could up Darko's minutes and bring Campbell's down a bit. Looks like Campbell will be here since Corliss is on the expansion draft list not Elden.

I don't see Darko time taking anything from Corliss because he should ALWAYS be playing the SF, never the PF or C if we want to utilize his full potential.

All in all, I think that no matter how things go (other than Sheed leaving) we'll be fine at PF/C...it's the backup guard positions that I'm worried about.

Well Brown doesnt use Corliss at the 3 all the time, in fact he probably plays at the 4 more then the 3. Plus next year Delfino will be getting some backup 3 minutes.

Why are you worried about the backup guards? Dont you like James or Hunter? I imagine they will retain James due to Hunters age. Then Delfino will play some 2 as well.

I dont know about Darko. Unless he improves greatly over the summer, I cant see him playing. He looks so lost and scared out there. Doesnt look very quick either. I know this was all in limited time, but man. For a guy that ran his mouth a little at mid season about wanting to play, you figure he would come in like a tiger when he got his shot. I still say he is more then a year away.

Originally posted by holygoat

What's the source of this quote? I'm not saying that he didn't say it, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.

I'll look, it was from an interview I read back prior to the draft. It was in response to the question, "Would you rather be a superstar on a losing team or a 6th man on a championship team?" and Melo's response was, "I'd rather be a superstar on a losing team."

FWIW, Darko was asked the same set of questions and his response to the above question..."6th man on a championship team."