Biff Mayhem

Who is the more annoying announcer?

Who is more annoying (you can vote for more than one)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more annoying (you can vote for more than one)

• Jim Price (intolerable play by play)
    • Rod Allen (Tim McCarver saying Mario a lot)
    • Tim McCarver (in a league of his own)

This is a hard choice. If it were based on Price's play by play alone then I say he wins hands down. I have grown used to him as a color commentator and isn't the worst of the three in that area.

Rod Allen...he blows Impemba from 7:05 until the lights go out, and he has no creativity or emotion.

I chose Price because I think he's not a competent announcer. The other two are just annoying.

Like Biff, I think Price does all right as an analyst (though I *still* don't know why an analyst is necessary on radio).

Allen may be a schmuck, but at least he's *our* schmuck.

McCarver is just flat-out awful. When he's not wrong, he's obvious. When he's not obvious, he's condescending. When he's not condescending, he tries too hard to be a "personality", with lame jokes and apropos-of-nothing asides.

At one point during yesterday's Yanks/Dodgers telecast it was brought up that one player was on the DL with bone spurs. McCarver saw this as a golden opportunity to reference Tex Ritter's prehistoric hit "I Got Spurs That Jingle, Jangle, Jingle", and that in turn led to Joe Buck actually singing a few bars of same. (No, I'm not making this up, though I wish fervently that I were.)

Still, even McCarver is the very model of listenability compared with some of the other network analysts out there. Where have all the Tony Kubeks and Jim Kaats gone?

I have a vote for someone different.

#1 - terrible announcer is

RAY LANE.......1st inning the other day he called Robertson,

Dave Roberts! Prior to the fifth inning he called him ROBINSON.

WOW! He had some other faux paus too. He is the worst. He's either too old, or too ignorant. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's senile. I don't remember him being this bad 20 years ago. Maybe I wasn't as critical then. But he is awful to the point of I can't stand him. He ruined the game the other day.

on the other hand I think Mario Impemba is very under-appreciated...as someone with the Extra Innings package on the dish, (albeit I may be a tad biased) he has a great voice, pretty good insights for a play-by-play guy and he's pretty funny. I'd take Dave Niehaus in Seattle pretty much over anyone out there now, but Mario is pretty good and I never here positive talk about him

I really enjoyed Josh and Gibby. Josh had that geeky sense of humour that I love so much and Gibby was good at pointing out intricacies of the game without being condescending or boring. Gibby also loved to mock Wade Boggs. That and his abuse of the telestrator added the childish part of the broadcast that I found enjoyable.

it's funny, I liked Josh too, but now if I watch a Rangers game on the dish he bores me to death with Tom Grieve

"Very Nice, Deion. Very Professional"

What was that from again?...Tim to Deion Sanders? Sounds familiar.

My favorite Gibby line:

"Well, there HAD to be water. I mean, he could have just gone to the toilet and got a drink, right?"

Talking about Miguel Tejada not having running water in the Dominican Republic.

Originally posted by eastside billee

RAY LANE.......1st inning the other day he called Robertson,

Dave Roberts! Prior to the fifth inning he called him ROBINSON.

WOW! He had some other faux paus too. He is the worst. He's either too old, or too ignorant. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's senile. I don't remember him being this bad 20 years ago. Maybe I wasn't as critical then. But he is awful to the point of I can't stand him. He ruined the game the other day.

Yes.

Originally posted by eastside billee

RAY LANE.

This is the correct answer. Hands down. Why? Because Rod Allen, Jim Price & Tim McCarver are all ex-players who have moved into the booth. Ray Lane has always been a broadcaster .. & he still sux.

The first time Bottalico was coming into pitch he said, "they're bringing in Ricky Bow-ta-lee-co. Is he insane? I think that when he makes these mistakes, somebody is sitting there correcting him. It's almost embarrassing.

Why is it necessary to have Lane calling games at all, outside of football season when Beckmann is off doing Wolverine broadcasts?

WORST ANNOUNCER EVER IS "HAWK" KEN HARRELSON FOR THE WHITESUX!!!!

I HATE him.

Its so annoying when he says," YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YESS!!!"

Originally posted by ricucity

Rod Allen...he has no creativity or emotion.

How can you say that when he has the WOOOOOO!!:classic:

Well if you are going to go to out of town announcers I think that the White Sox guys are the worst I have ever heard.

I would listen to Ken Harrelson 100 times before I listened to Ray Lane. He is brutal.

Originally posted by djhutch

I would listen to Ken Harrelson 100 times before I listened to Ray Lane. He is brutal.

I've never agreed with you more.

Originally posted by djhutch

I guess I will count myself as lucky for never having heard Ray Lane.