Bonderman38

Tigers-Marlins Its Personal

This is where you and I agree most. There is no good reason not to have a flexible bullpen, but I know that "closer" is a special role. I think closers are born, not made.

I'm all for defined roles in the bullpen, but the idea that closers are born not made makes about as much sense as saying #1 starters are born and not made. To be a dominant closer, you have to be a very good pitcher, but the same skills necessary to be a dominant closer are necessary to be a dominant setup man.

Microline....what books would you recommend that a dad could read to help his seven year old? I have a rather large kid, who can throw the ball a mile at this point. He is playing in Little League, in the coaches pitch program. He certainly is having fun and I want to enhance that fun at home, besides just playing catch and having BP. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by tigersfan25

I hope so... we could use 2 out of 3 from the Marlins.

How about 3 out of 3?

Originally posted by BiggieG

Microline....what books would you recommend that a dad could read to help his seven year old? I have a rather large kid, who can throw the ball a mile at this point. He is playing in Little League, in the coaches pitch program. He certainly is having fun and I want to enhance that fun at home, besides just playing catch and having BP. Any thoughts?

Personally, and this just me, but I wouldn't really advocate too much in depth teaching at his age....teach him the fundamentals and allow him to enjoy it. If he shows continued interest and dedication as he grows older, there are any number of books that can be useful teaching aides, as well as sending him to summer camps and such. Nolan Ryan's Pitching Bible is an excellent source of information for how to build and train your body to be a successful pitcher, and Ted Williams Science of Hitting is also a useful tool. Neither of those books should be used as exclusive teachings, but rather should be supplemented with other material that can enhance their basic ideas.....

Microline, you facinate me with your indepth knowledge of the game. I know you live out east, love baseball and if I remember right, are in school and want to coach? Would you feel comfortable sharing about yourself?

Originally posted by Microline133

Personally, and this just me, but I wouldn't really advocate too much in depth teaching at his age....teach him the fundamentals and allow him to enjoy it. If he shows continued interest and dedication as he grows older, there are any number of books that can be useful teaching aides, as well as sending him to summer camps and such. Nolan Ryan's Pitching Bible is an excellent source of information for how to build and train your body to be a successful pitcher, and Ted Williams Science of Hitting is also a useful tool. Neither of those books should be used as exclusive teachings, but rather should be supplemented with other material that can enhance their basic ideas.....

You are correct sir.

Microline, you facinate me with your indepth knowledge of the game. I know you live out east, love baseball and if I remember right, are in school and want to coach? Would you feel comfortable sharing about yourself?

Not that it will be an interesting read for anyone...but I don't mind....

I'm no longer in school, I graduated last May, and I am now working as a Civil Engineer for the Army Corps. I played baseball during my college career, but had Matt Wheatland disease and couldn't stay healthy. When healthy, I was effective, but that was rare. I've already had two surgeries on my shoulder, and I'm looking at a third right now, with a possibly torn rotator cuff. I'm still playing in a semi-pro league out here in Boston...but we'll see how the arm holds up. I spend a ton of time at parks, little league, high school, college, minor league, anything I can go watch, I go. I talk to coaches, players, scouts, etc trying to learn as much about the game as I can. I've spent time both coaching and scouting in the last 8 years, and when my playing career is done, I plan to begin coaching on a more serious level, perhaps giving up my engineering career to pursue a serious career as a coach......

I'm not sure what else you want to know, but feel free to ask.....

Sorry for boring everyone else....

You didn't ask me but I'll throw my two cents in. Have him throw with you a lot. Not necessarily daily---you need a break, too--but 4-5 times per week. No need to throw the ball hard, just play catch throwing at a normal speed and allow him to build up his arm strength slowly and build-up the muscles associated with throwing a ball. Muscle memory and hand-eye coordination will get used and developed. Be sure he knows how to use his legs to help him develop arm-speed and velocity. Have him watch tapes of Roger Clemens throwing and you'll have yourself a pitcher.

Originally posted by tiger337

Tell us more Mark. Tell us more ! :classic:

How did I know I'd take some **** for that post :classic:

I'll schedule another story time for later today...:silly:

I think it's great that you shared. It makes it more personable to me and I believe others too. There are some that post here that have a tremendous amount of knowledge, and can actually make sense when they talk. Others just have opinions, and make no sense at all. I guess that's what makes the world go round. Stupid is as stupid does.:confused:

Great story Microline. I guess I can accept you thinking about leaving Civil Engineering as a profession but ONLY for coaching baseball or as a scout! :glasses:

Biggie G I wish you wouldn't always put me down, I mean I know I am stupid but I am trying to learn. :classic:

Biggie G I wish you wouldn't always put me down, I mean I know I am stupid but I am trying to learn.

Ummmm...that last line in my quote was actually a jab at myself. Sorry if it appeared otherwise. I enjoy reading most everyone's opinions, and the give and take that goes on. Most of the time it is civil, and I appreciate that most of all.

But some of the posters put so much time and effort into their thoughts, along with their own personal experience, and it really paints a picture. Most of us, whether old or young have played sports in high school, but to go to the next level, as in the minors or college was beyond my capabilities. I always try to listen as much as possible to people with experience, because there is so much you can learn from these people.

That's why I truly enjoy someone like Microline and his insights because I have never experienced them as a player in his position myself. Same with Cruzer and Yoda with their posts about the minors. I am in awe at the discussions and insight they have sometimes. They must spend hours researching information and then Yoda going to many of the Lakeland Tigers games, and sharing with everyone is awesome.

Then you have the kids like Jake and QS who love stats, and apply their mathmatical skills to make insights that just blow me away. There is so much to the game now, compared to the past. Then there are the old timers that just love the game and love talking about it. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, it's a sunny day anytime you can be with friends and talk baseball, or football, etc, etc, etc.

I just appreciate being able to contribute once in a while, and most of all, ask questions.:classic:

Then you have the kids like Jake and QS who love stats, and apply their mathmatical skills to make insights that just blow me away.

I don't know about QS but you are right about Jake. He is definitely a kid who loves stats.