3M

Jimmy Kimmel's show gets pulled

Originally posted by DTroppens

It sounds like he first appologized and then later made another rip on the city so that resulted in the decision for it to be lifted for the night.

That's all I know.

I have a feeling that is why his show was pulled. I wasn't too offended by the comments other than the fact that they weren't very funny.

He isn't very good by himself anyway and really needs Adam Corrolla to fill out the act. His show would have been cancelled eventually, this just gave ABC an excuse to do it.

Of course thats just my opinion...

DF,

Yeah but he's a comedian who was basically talking trash about his opponent. I'm sure that's all he thought he was doing. Being an LA fan that was doing a little trash talking - just like we may do with a friend if we had one in LA jostling back and forth. He's an entertainer who just happened to take something and blew a few images of Detroit into a joke. He's not doing the ABC Nightly News. He doesn't have to mention all the sports riots since 1984 and be balanced about his coverage.

What I found humorous about the whole thing was I guess Sean Belegian (sp) had a whole show about the word "Japs" the other day and talked about how offended people get about things and then he spearheaded this which was clearly less offensive.

Typical Belegian speak -

"I'm not usually one to do this but in this case I'm going to make an exception..."

He says that all the time when it comes to ripping the refs, conspiracies and all sorts of stuff. I hardly listen to the guy and I've picked that up.

I didnt even think one thing about it when he said it. Heck I even chuckled a little. And I still dont care to be honest. He is a comedian and that is what they do.

But, didnt someone die in the celebration the last time the Lakers won?

And I agree with DF on his comparison of each city. I know for sure I would rather walk around Detroit at night rather then walking around Compton at night.

They had Don Shane on AM1270 at 12:15 this afternoon. Don said Kimmel went on a 8 minute rant about Detroit last night and that's why it was pulled. He did this after he apologized the previous day. 8 minutes is a lot of time on a national show like that. This guy is a loser, you don't apologize then go out and say something worse.

I know Chris Webber has burned a lot of bridges but he still has a lot of fans in the area (particulary in the city). According to the abc website he is Jimmy's first guest tonight. Could win a lot of fans back if he goes after Kimmel, should be interesting if we are allowed to see it after the Pistons victory tonight.

The show wasn't pulled for the joke. It was pulled because for tonights show he taped a 7 minute segment ripping Detroit. ABC didn't like what he said or did in the segment, so they decided not to air it. I think they can let a little good natured-ribbing go, but a pre-planned, taped 7-minute rant on Detroit? Regardless of the Superbowl in 2006, they don't want to lose their Detroit viewership. We are a pretty big TV market.

I can just see it now if Webber does decide to stick up for Detroit tonight:

Webber: Man, dont pick on my hometown.

Jimmy: Oh sorry I forgot. Those people paid you well in high school and college.

And does anyone really think Webber will stick up for Detroit?

Originally posted by Scrub

The show wasn't pulled for the joke. It was pulled because for tonights show he taped a 7 minute segment ripping Detroit. ABC didn't like what he said or did in the segment, so they decided not to air it. I think they can let a little good natured-ribbing go, but a pre-planned, taped 7-minute rant on Detroit? Regardless of the Superbowl in 2006, they don't want to lose their Detroit viewership. We are a pretty big TV market.

Interesting, I heard he made more comments later in his show but I didn't realize it lasted 7 minutes....

Originally posted by Deleterious

I can just see it now if Webber does decide to stick up for Detroit tonight:

Webber: Man, dont pick on my hometown.

Jimmy: Oh sorry I forgot. Those people paid you well in high school and college.

And does anyone really think Webber will stick up for Detroit?

Kimmel isn't funny enough to even think up that comeback.. The guy is a hack. I thought so before this, and still think so after it.

Originally posted by estrepe1

Kimmel isn't funny enough to even think up that comeback.. The guy is a hack. I thought so before this, and still think so after it.

So I should host the show? Sweet, I have a new gig!

I didnt realize it was pulled nationally, not just in Detroit.

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

My only problem with the joke is that the other city in the finals has had two major riots SINCE Detroits in 1967.

We've had the 1984 Tigers riot (someone needs to find that picture) and MSU. Kimmel was referencing sports riots. He was right to say so. It was easy, but it's still funny. It's like jokes about the French....they're easy and never tiring.

Kimmel is a hack... I remember him from the days in which he would run down the Lions, and my other favorite team (this is a travesty, considering I am a Lions fan), the Bears, while he was on Fox.

Kimmel needs to get dumped anyways. Give Howard Dean a late night show... God knows he is funnier than Kimmel.

I've got it on good authority that Kilborn is an idiot. Really a simpering tool and the vacuous pretty boy he looks like. In his case the writers should get all the material credit. Of course, he does a pretty delivery.

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

What did he say that was so wrong? Historically this sort of thing happens. Anybody have that old Bubba picture?

Biff (who wouldn't come near Detroit if the Lions win the Super Bowl)

It could be the truth but it certainly isnt funny in the least bit.

CWebb has been pretty funny so far. He's made Jimmy wear a Zeke jersey and Tigers home hat. At the end of the first segment Jimmy asked Chris to tell Detroit to squash the whole thing because Jimmy is a cool guy and was just making a joke. Chris is like "......... ah .... No... I know the mayor, I have not talked to him yet but when the Pistons win it all, we'll get abunch of people on the plane and come out here to burn your house down."

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/22796.htm

ABC PULLS 'KIMMEL' OVER DETROIT JOKE

June 11, 2004 -- ABC yanked Wednes day's edition of "Jimmy Kimmel Live" when network officials objected to comments Kimmel made during a taping of that day's show.

They were also upset over jokes Kimmel made earlier this week about how the city of Detroit might riot if the Pistons win the NBA Championship this year.

A repeat of Kimmel's show aired in New York Wednesday night, while ABC subbed an episode of "The Wayne Brady Show" in Detroit.

ABC officials wouldn't divulge what Kimmel said during Wednesday's taping, but his woes really began Tuesday when he was doing a live, halftime plug for his show during Game 2 of the NBA Finals between the Detroit Pistons and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Kimmel joked that ". . . they're gonna burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it."

Grace Gilchrist, the general manager of Detroit's ABC affiliate, WXYZ, just happened to be in L.A. at the time meeting with top ABC brass — and blasted Kimmel, hinting he might be the target of punitive action by the station.

"We are pretty livid about the entire situation," Andrea Parquet-Taylor, the affiliate's news director, told The Detroit News.

"Grace gave them an earful. We think that there is a lot of discussion about how Jimmy Kimmel has jeopardized his right to [be telecast in Detroit]," Taylor said.

ABC officials declined to make Kimmel available for interviews yesterday, but he apologized for the Detroit remarks in a statement.

"When you're 2,000 miles away from a city you've never lived in, it's hard to understand the sadness people feel from something that happened in their town — even if it happened many years ago," he said, referring to the explosive 1967 Detroit race riots.

"It was never my intention to cause anyone pain. I was trying to make a joke, and I'm sorry it resulted in anything other than laughter." Kimmel had issued an earlier apology to the people of Detroit.

"What I said about Pistons fans during halftime [Tuesday] was a joke, nothing more," he said.

"Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car."

"Jimmy Kimmel Live," which until last April had almost always aired live, is now pre-taped — so that ABC execs can vet each episode before it airs at 12:05 a.m.

I don't know if anybody is aware how this all began, but Sean Baligian from 1130 is the one who got the ball rolling. He didn't ask for Jimmy Kimmel to be taken off the air or even to apologize. He just gave out the phone number and directed people to the message boards to "educate" him on the history of Detroit's sports celebrations. I think it just got out of hand....lol! I think we all knew it was a joke, but with Detroit's reputation around the country, showing pride in where you came from is by no means a disgraceful thing.

Originally posted by WMUDan

CWebb has been pretty funny so far. He's made Jimmy wear a Zeke jersey and Tigers home hat. At the end of the first segment Jimmy asked Chris to tell Detroit to squash the whole thing because Jimmy is a cool guy and was just making a joke. Chris is like "......... ah .... No... I know the mayor, I have not talked to him yet but when the Pistons win it all, we'll get abunch of people on the plane and come out here to burn your house down."

Then Jimmy made an Ed Martin joke and CWebb called a timeout.