3M

Jimmy Kimmel's show gets pulled

What did he say that was so wrong? Historically this sort of thing happens. Anybody have that old Bubba picture?

Biff (who wouldn't come near Detroit if the Lions win the Super Bowl)

Only time I watched the show was the very first one, after the Super Bowl a couple years back. Long live Conan!

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem Biff (who wouldn't come near Detroit if the Lions win the Super Bowl)

I don't blame you... all those out-of-control cars after the drivers have heart attacks would be dangerous.

Get new material. We've won 4 major championships and 3 college championships since then while cities like Denver and Montreal have had riots, yet these jokes still go on.

He should have said it in a Jack Nicholson voice. Those are hilarious and so original.

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

What did he say that was so wrong? Historically this sort of thing happens. Anybody have that old Bubba picture?

Biff (who wouldn't come near Detroit if the Lions win the Super Bowl)

Heck, I'd buy a junker, flip it over, and set it on fire if the Lions even made it TO the Super Bowl.

Now for a tangent, from the article linked to above:

ABC broadcaster and Ann Arbor resident Mike Tirico objected immediately, saying, “Hey, hey, hey, be careful. That's my home state.”

The explains quite a bit why Mike Tirico is so pro-UM when he's talking about college football (I believe he's a Syracuse grad, though).

Originally posted by B.Higginson

What 3 college championships have UofD and Wayne State won?

Technically, Ann Arbor is considered Metro Detroit so the football and basketball ones could be counted.

state's too far away but I don't think you couldn't count them anyway seeing as they've had their fair share of couch burnings, rioting, etc. over the past few years.

Some may not find what he said wrong or offensive. I didn't care for it but I'm not offended. It's an old bit but I wasn't watching his show anyway and while what he said isn't totally true, there was an element of truth to it in terms of an image - 67 riots, 84 celebration (there was a little mayhem there) and Devils' nights.

About freedom of speech...

He has the right to say whatever he wants, however as a journalist I realize that with that right comes responsibility. I realize if I abuse that right through my paper I can get fired. Being fired doesn't censor me. That doesn't eliminate my freedom of speech. I can still do what using about 1,000,000 different avenues that I can create myself. I just can't use the avenue that I was hired by someone else to use. That paper isn't my right - it's my privellege to be able to use that media to express my right. If they want to fire me, I don't see how that's a freedom of press violation since I can still inact on my right of freedom of press in so many avenues. Jimmy Kimmel was hired to do a show. It wasn't his own show and it isn't the government putting heat on his show. It's listeners and the people that gave him the privellege to be able to use his show. That's how I look at it. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't and you want to know what I'm trying to say please comment.

Anyone know what he said on his show the next night? Personally I think this uproar is absolutely ridiculous, much as most of us thought about when Conan got in trouble with Canada with Triumph's jokes.

I wasn't counting MSU's title. I was counting the football, basketball, and hockey from UM.

It sounds like he first appologized and then later made another rip on the city so that resulted in the decision for it to be lifted for the night.

That's all I know.

Does ABC have the rights to broadcast the 2006 Superbowl?? Maybe they feel the remarks paint the city in a bad light and that it could hurt it's advertising revenue for the game[companies wouldn't want to have their spots air in between scenes of a riot during the post game] as well as possibly keep fans away form the event...

Originally posted by B.Higginson

The US census counts Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County as Metro Detroit?

I believe that they do. I could be wrong, though.

Originally posted by Amish Love Machine

Heck, I'd buy a junker, flip it over, and set it on fire if the Lions even made it TO the Super Bowl.

Hell, I'll burn my couch.

Originally posted by Sparks4Ever

Geez, I thought it was a pretty mild joke. Some people just need to lighten up I guess.

I agree. My only beef is that it was too 'easy' of a joke to make about Detroit. Detroit's known for riots from a while ago; nothing new about that. Making a joke about it is what hacks who aren't funny or don't want to spend a lot of time working on original material do.

My only problem with the joke is that the other city in the finals has had two major riots SINCE Detroits in 1967. Watts was in '68, I believe...and who can forget the Rodney King riots? Also, LA has had problems after every Lakers championship in recent years, while the Wings celebrations have been incident free. Shouldn't LA be the target of that particular barb? Or, since its near the ocean and has movie stars, it doesn't get that kind of criticism?

LA is every bit as dangerous and dirty as Detroit. Since the whole county counts as the city, it doesn't get the same kind of statistical data that Detroit does. If, for instance, Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, Westland, Livonia, downriver etc...(all the Wayne County burbs) were counted as Detroit, our crime statistics per capita would be quite low.

In LA, all of the areas (Beverly hills, etc) in Los Angeles county, including what we would call suburbs, are counted as part of the same governmental entity.

Therefore, there massive ghetto (about the size of Detroits) gets counted in with the whole picture.