IdahoBert

How does the signing process work?

So for you guys who have been around a while and followed these things, how does this whole process of signing players work? It's a pretty short time frame between the draft and next Friday when the short season leagues begin. We have 50 guys we want to sign and get to their respective teams in a little over a week. Seems like a terribly complicated and challenging task.

How do you so it? Teams of negotiators flying every which way at once?

What kinds of signing bonuses do top, middle, and lower level players get?

Where will guys most likely go anyway?

Does anyone jump all the way to AA anymore?

I've never really followed a draft before, and those of you who have would do all of us who haven't a real service by giving us an idea of what to expect.

BA reports signings earlier than anybody I've seen so far - nothing posted yet.

Advanced college guys often go to Onieta in the new york-penn league and others plus hs go to the gulf coast tigers. Nobody goes to real A ball - with very few exceptions - and nobody goes straight to double a.

So for you guys who have been around a while and followed these things, how does this whole process of signing players work?

Bert, I would play for nothing, and I think these old pythons could still hit and field better than Pena or Munson, but nobodies come knockin at my door for over 30 years. I think they believe I'm past my prime.

However, if you sent me the money for an airline ticket, I would gladly try out once again. Just make it out to BiggieG!:confused:

Originally posted by billms

Advanced college guys often go to Onieta in the new york-penn league....

Since my wife was born in Oneonta, I thought I would point out your slight misspelling.

Baugh went straight to low A for six starts and then AA for five in his first year. He was very polished though. Most of the draftees who sign will go to short season ball.

Hopefully the Tigers have learned their lesson with Baugh and won't make any pitchers throw too many innings. That year Baugh threw 60 innings in the minors after pitching a ton of innings in college.

Originally posted by tigersfan25

Since my wife was born in Oneonta, I thought I would point out your slight misspelling.

I've had trouble with that one for four years now! You'd think it would stick. I knew it was wrong when I typed it ....

The college seniors whose years are over, and were drafted are likely already signed, and are either headed to New York, or Lakeland depending on how quick they get there from where they are at. Beattie and Frazier could be there as well, depending on how fast things go. The Tigers also have a lot of guys from last year, so they should be covered. They should have at least 15-20 guys signed before the season starts. Area scouts either hear a player of there's gets drafted, or is notified by the club, and he goes out immediately to start the negotiation process. Baseball America has a bonus chart in there ASK BA section so that should help. They won't sign all 50. Some kids will go to school, and others will be draft and follows, but the number should be around 25 players signed, give or take a few. The college players will be at Oneonta, the HS kids head to the GCL.

Originally posted by BiggieG

Bert, I would play for nothing, and I think these old pythons could still hit and field better than Pena or Munson, but nobodies come knockin at my door for over 30 years. I think they believe I'm past my prime.

However, if you sent me the money for an airline ticket, I would gladly try out once again. Just make it out to BiggieG!:confused:

Same here BiggieG. I was 13 when I played my last year of organized baseball. I was a SS and leadoff hitter. Made 2 outs the whole year and was something like 98 for 100. (.980 avg)

Could probably still hit at least .400 in the bigs.(LOL)

Originally posted by billms

I've had trouble with that one for four years now! You'd think it would stick. I knew it was wrong when I typed it ....

Well, those Iroquois names that are in New York State can sometimes be quite hard to pronounce. No offense to the Iroquois nation, BTW.

Still no word on any signings? I've seen stuff in the papers for a lot of other MLB teams. I gather Oneonta gets going on Friday. The GCL Tigs must start up this weekend too.