Sign in to follow this  
tigermojo

Batting order

Is it just me or did the Tigers stop scoring 5+ runs a game consistently when Guillen was moved up in the order? I could be wrong but the offense seemed to get alot more inconsistent after that 16-15 loss while the starting pitching became alot better.

I think the Tigers need to move one of their better hitters down to the seventh spot so pitchers aren't always facing Pena, Monroe, Munson and their .300 OBPs. Balance out the batting order and give those young guys some protection and maybe they would start producing.

One reason they probably aren't scoring as much is because White seems to be slumping a bit. Maybe they should put him back in the fourth spot with Young protecting him.

I say bat Higginson second because he gets on base and he's a smart base runner. He's not going to produce much power anymore anyway.

My order would be:

Sanchez (groan)

Higginson

Rodriguez

White

Young

Pena

Guillen

Infante

Munson

Inge, Norton, Monroe and Smith should only be used to give the regulars a rest IMO. The Tigers need to give Pena and Munson as many ABs as they can in the second half. Munson hasn't been given an opportunity and Tram has played Norton instead. Norton won't even be on the team next year.

Maybe this doesn't mean much but I'm bored. Vina went on the DL on May 13th. In games up to that day the Tigers scored 5 or more runs in 19 of 33 games (no thanks to Vina). In games after Vina went on the DL (when Guillen would be moved up in the order) the Tigers scored 5+ in 10 of 24 games.

I wonder if I could work the signing hot dog vendor into the equation somewhere...

I wouldn't be opposed to batting Higginson higher in the order given the fact that his .401 obp would fit perfectly at the 2 hole.

I think Higginson definitely belongs somewhere at the top of the order. He gets on base a lot and has no power so it's a natural fit.

My only reserve with Sanchez is though that he is hot...until he learns to have some more patience at the plate...I really dont see him hitting .350 for very long

You guys want to move Higginson back to #2 in the order? I know he is playing well, but you have short memories.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

You guys want to move Higginson back to #2 in the order? I know he is playing well, but you have short memories.

Currently he is the classic #2 guy. He will take several pitches giving Sanchez a chance to get caught stealing.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

Short memories of what ? I really doubt his past problems had anything to do with batting order position. I think they had more to do with injuries and/or lack of interest. He has no power so the only place he has in a line-up is the top or the bottom.

Originally posted by davidsb

Currently he is the classic #2 guy. He will take several pitches giving Sanchez a chance to get caught stealing.

This is funny.

vs. RHP

CF- Sanchez

RF- Higgy

_C- IRod

DH- Young

LF- White

SS- Guillen

1B- Pena

3B- Munson

2B- Infante

vs. LHP

CF- Sanchez

SS- Guillen

_C- IRod

DH- White

1B- Young

LF- Monroe

RF- Higgy

3B- Inge

2B- Infante

Several people have rightly mentioned Higginson's lack of power and this year is worse than ever. What's happening here anyway? He used to hit a lot of homers (well, in the 20s and in 2000 he hit 30).

Originally posted by tigermojo

Is it just me or did the Tigers stop scoring 5+ runs a game consistently when Guillen was moved up in the order? I could be wrong but the offense seemed to get alot more inconsistent after that 16-15 loss while the starting pitching became alot better.

I think the Tigers need to move one of their better hitters down to the seventh spot so pitchers aren't always facing Pena, Monroe, Munson and their .300 OBPs. Balance out the batting order and give those young guys some protection and maybe they would start producing.

Do you have an inside source? Higgy's hitting second tonight, and Guillen sixth.

Originally posted by IdahoBert

Several people have rightly mentioned Higginson's lack of power and this year is worse than ever. What's happening here anyway? He used to hit a lot of homers (well, in the 20s and in 2000 he hit 30).

Maybe he stopped trying to hit for power, therefore, he is a better hitter now. What a concept Higgy.

When Young is able to play on the field again, I hope the order looks very similar to the one Davidsb posted:

Sanchez CF

Higginson RF

Rodriguez C

Young DH

White LF

Guillen SS

Thames DH

Munson 3B

Infante 2B

Thames deserves a callup. He's batting .320 with 20 HR and 17 doubles in AAA. I would send Pena down to Toledo so he can figure things out and give Thames a well-deserved shot in the majors.

I also hope German is called up. The bullpen needs a shake-up. The team shouldn't keep running the same poor performers out there.

When Young is able to play on the field again, I hope the order looks very similar to the one Davidsb posted:

Ditto what he said!!!:cheeky: