Biff Mayhem

NBA Finals - Pistons at Lakers - Game #2

Originally posted by black_sandals

God dammit. I can't believe this crap. That game was ours to win, and they blew it in regulation, and then they didn't try in overtime. I hate it.

I don't care if we still have homecourt or whatever. That game was ours, and they blew it. The Lakers have all the momentum now. Now they know how to beat us. I don't think we have a chance. The Lakers will win in six.

AGRED!

Certainly the Pistons should feel good about getting a split, but when you have the opportunity to get greedy, and let it get away, it hurts. Simply put, good teams shouldn't blow 6 point leads in 30 seconds. The defensive situations really bothered me the most. First, Derek Fisher had no business being left alone. If the Lakers want to get a quick deuce, fine. You get the ball back, and they have to foul to extend the game. Second, on the Kobe three, when Shaq had the ball before hand, foul him. I'll take my chances with a 45 % foul shooter having to make two, rather than having a proven clutch player make a shot. It just confounds me than a team coached by a Hall of Famer could not understand end of game situations. If the Pistons fall in this series, it will be because of this game. The Pistons should be up 2-0, and having everyone stunned. Instead, the Lakers have life. It will be interesting to see how Game 3 goes. Will the Pistons be demoralized, or will they respond as they have in the NJ/Indy series. Will the Lakers be much more focused, or will they continue to show they are beatable (outside of the final 5:30 of the game).

1) The Pistons played some great ball for most of this game, but of course the missed shots came back to hurt them.

2) The three-point play by Shaq in the final minute was not a foul. You all saw it. Ben didn't even touch him.

3) They should have fouled Shaq on that last possession, instead of letting him pass to Kobe who hit the 3.

4) It's a big loss because we could have put them away. Instead, we go to Detroit with everyone thinking that LA will take the series. It would have been nice to go up 2-0. The Palace will blow the Lakers' crowd out of the water and hopefully the nation will recognize when the Pistons win game 3.

Just got back from Palacevision but that's a story in itself.

1. You just can't lose a game you lead by six with less than a minute left. To do that you must:

a) Do something to blow it

b) The opposition must do some incredible things.

Obviously both happened tonight.

I haven't read the thread yet and I'm sure this was brought up but how the heck do you not foul on that possession Kobe made the trey. We thought it was a gimme decision.

Teams that expect to win NBA titles win this game. We didn't.

2. Also I think LA did make the adjustments. I thought they had more open looks last game if they made a few passes. They didn't and didn't get them. Tonight they did and nailed them. Defensively we broke down way too much. How do you allow Walton to beat you? So many open trey looks. Geez, that hurts.

3. We came back but our offense really went into a terrible funk for awhile there where we were just so stationary. Next thing you know it was a double-digit deficit. We go to Sheed and produces time and time again. Compounding mattters the Lakers have tons of foul trouble and we are in the bonus. And then for some reason we leave that. Why? Go to the well until it's dry. Especially if the well may get you to the line even if you don't make the shot.

4. I guess we can be happy we got a split, but we had this one. We are up 6 with 30 something seconds left to be up 2-0. Poor decision making and poor coaching decision killed us. We had the Lakers reeling and in serious trouble. Now suddenly we are "just" tied 1-1. You can't allow a team that's been as successful as the Lakers back like that. We did that. People are dying for respect for the Pistons. We had a tremendous chance to demand it and didn't take advantage when it was laying in our hands. That was disappointing to say the least.

What a night. Just finished reading the game thread.

I planned on staying home and watching the game, but at 8:30 p.m. I went into the living room (after listening to the Tigers in the backyard and enjoying the weather) to turn the TV on. My cable was out and I don't get any sort of stations through the air around here. I try to call my cable company THREE times! Each time I went through their crap they disconnected me. I simply wanted to find out the status and instead they hang me up. I'm going to give a big call tomorrow morning about that one.

I then said "screw it" and blitzed to the Palace to watch the game. Believe it or not from Fenton I made it to the Palace and into a seat 14 seconds into the game and did it without really speeding! Well I went 75MPH on I75.

It was fun. Only 11,000 fans they said there. I thought it was less than that. It wasn't as enthused as it was during the Bad Boy era until the fourth quarter when it appeared we were siezing control of the game. By the end of OT there was about 20 of us in there still. Or at least it seemed like it was 20 of us.

What a night! Anyone know when Fenton cable came back on? Was it in time for the game?

Originally posted by DTroppens

I planned on staying home and watching the game, but at 8:30 p.m. I went into the living room (after listening to the Tigers in the backyard and enjoying the weather) to turn the TV on. My cable was out and I don't get any sort of stations through the air around here. I try to call my cable company THREE times! Each time I went through their crap they disconnected me. I simply wanted to find out the status and instead they hang me up. I'm going to give a big call tomorrow morning about that one.

I then said "screw it" and blitzed to the Palace to watch the game. Believe it or not from Fenton I made it to the Palace and into a seat 14 seconds into the game and did it without really speeding! Well I went 75MPH on I75.

It was fun. Only 11,000 fans they said there. I thought it was less than that. It wasn't as enthused as it was during the Bad Boy era until the fourth quarter when it appeared we were siezing control of the game. By the end of OT there was about 20 of us in there still. Or at least it seemed like it was 20 of us.

What a night! Anyone know when Fenton cable came back on? Was it in time for the game?

Came back on around 9:30 or so, then back out around 11. Was back on when the game was over. I am lucky we have an antenna.

Deleterious,

We're going to have to hook up so we can cover each other's back. This cable service is pathetic.

Yeah I was going to jump on here to PM you so you could come here and watch, but no cable modem either. Blasted Charter.

Well, I've had a couple hours of sleep, and a bit of time to reflect.

Screw L.A. We were down big in that game, and came back big. We should have won, but could'nt quite get it done. It hurts, but dammit...we're capable of winning this.

The Lakers, the supposed kings of the universe, needed a last second, WAY DEEP three pointer to send the game to overtime. This against a team that allegedly has no offense, and no chance. And we did this on THEIR floor.

Tomorrow's game is critical. A win, and then everything Kobe did is behind them. I like our chances still.

Remember, we were supposed to be wiped off the map by this team. We 'aint going quietly.

There should have been a foul on the Pistons' end prior to the Kobe shot heard round the world.

I have to give credit to Kobe....he is a great player. The Pistons just gave up after he sunk that 3.

Originally posted by belcherboy

How many are already sick of the "let's get it started" song they play for every break and every other commercial?? Why can't they play some other music?

See any post by Motown Randy for my thoughts. :classic:

I know this game was bigger and the fact that we had this game in hand hurts, however every series it seems like the Pistons had a let down game. They really didn't look like they wanted the game to me until late in the third quarter.

In the Bucks series after a blow out in game 1 they lose to the Bucks in a close one 92-88.

In the Nets series after dominating the first two games and looking like they were well on their way to a sweep they self destruct and lose games 3 and 4.

In the Pacers series after winning games 2 and 3 to go up 2 games to 1 they lose the 4th game by a blowout at home.

If you would have told me before the series that we would have one game where Rip had a horrible time scoring and the team as a whole would have 14 turnovers (1 less than the Lakers) and we still came out winning 1 out of 2 and taking home court away? I think we all would have taken that.

This next game is crucial though, the Pistons absolutely have to play their game as a team.

I haven't read the entire thread.

But if we pass the ball to Rasheed "butter fingers" Wallace in the closing seconds of another playoff game, I think I'll scream!

They could have finished them. Now they'll have to win at least one more in LA because I don't see the Pistons winning three straight from the Lakers. Not if the Lakers decide to play.

Didn't somebody on this site say Kobe Bryant has no heart? I wish he didn't.

that shot has nothing to do with heart, it has to do with being an amazing basketball player. Just because a guy can hit a big shot doesn't mean he doesn't have heart. I'm not even saying he doesn't have heart just that this isn't the reason.

Originally posted by DTroppens

It would be nice if I could simply "zip" to the palace to watch the game. Luckily my cable was working. (I have charter)

Originally posted by DaBishop

that shot has nothing to do with heart, it has to do with being an amazing basketball player. Just because a guy can hit a big shot doesn't mean he doesn't have heart. I'm not even saying he doesn't have heart just that this isn't the reason.

There is no correlation between heart and three pointers.