Yoda

Official thread: 1st Round: Justin Verlander

I have no reaction other than I trust DD to make the best choice based on our current situation and with where he plans for this organization to be in the future.

I'll change that possibly after I see Verlander in person.

Originally posted by jake

I have no reaction other than I trust DD to make the best choice based on our current situation and with where he plans for this organization to be in the future.

I'll change that possibly after I see Verlander in person.

I agree. I'm neutral about the pick and about the Beattie pick also. I'm giving the organization a benefit of a doubt they know what they are doing.

How do you know they know what they are doing? It's not like any of Gre Smith's draft picks have worked out well for the Tigers. As usual, they are passing up on higher ceiling high schoolers for collegians.

As for Verlander, I think he's vastly overrated.\ He has velocity, but no control. And he may have to dial his fastball down to gain control, which would negate a lot of his value. I posted this earlier, but I really hate this pick.

Too many players too close together to be really excited or dissapointed with the pick. Nobody, at any position or level, was clearly head-and-shoulders above everyone else.

I think Verlander will be fine.

Originally posted by estrepe1

Verlander has a high ceiling, he is unlikely to reach that ceiling but it is high.

If he continues to mature and learn to throw a better changeup, I think he could reach that ceiling within 2-3 years.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

I think he will pitch this year if he signs in time, and I hope he doesn't sign in time.:classic:

If signing late is the only way to keep him from pitching this season I hope he signs late as well.

They were talking on WEEI today about some kid a few years ago. I think Boras was his agent. He went into the draft, got selected, and then turned down a $4 million contract. Next year he re-entered the draft, got selected, and then turned down a $1 million contract. He is now working at K-Mart.

Looking at the positives about the draft we went with the best arm and most of things I've read about him after the draft support the fact that he may have the highest ceiling afterall. It's kind of hard to have a higher ceiling than franchise player isn't it? To top that off, I love the fact that DD drafted two pitchers that can touch 100 mph, and from an overall theme perspective, which I love, I like what DD and the boys did today. College pitchers, many of whom could be ready sooner than later, and high school players later. One thing's for sure DD loves power arms and kids that can grow into power pitchers, similar to Joe Zumaya. Carpenter and French reminded me of this potential from todays draft.