Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

A concern - physical play

Going into game #4 I think there's one concern I have about the next contest.

The Nets did establish the lead with the break in the first quarter but after that they played a lot of what should be a Pistons mark for victory.

They matched us muscle for muscle. Can they do it to the point they can win three more? Probably not. But I have to admit that shocked me tonight.

The Pistons looked so soft tonight. Do they not know what no layups means or what. Just once I would like to see someone deck Jefferson when he comes in for a layup. Nothing dirty, just a good hard foul.

That is what I loved about the Bad Boys. You might get a layup and you might even make it, but you sure as heck are going to be picking yourself up off the floor after you shoot it. The Pistons need to get some of that mentality. The Nets just have no fear of driving the lane right now.

In some ways you almost have to shrug off the loss, it was just so bad and out of character. If the Nets do it again in the same fashion, I will be worried though. Ben is a physical player but not one to take a hard foul, Rasheed gets touch fouls (heck he gets fouls for just waving his arm and looking like he fouled) so it's tough to see what they can change.

Corliss, Ham and James are the guys who seem willing to take the hard fouls. And I wouldn't mind seeing the first two get matched up with Jefferson more. But it's about making them pay in the paint and that might make Okur or Campbell pretty critical in Game 4.

Jefferson is going to get his points no matter what. Unless Prince starts playing defense, nobody else can matchup with him. That's why Ham will get PT. The Pistons will win the physical battle, as long as it stays physical, but not personal. Then it gets in their heads.