eastside billee

What really is the deal with Weaver?

I honestly feel sorry for the guy. So much is expected of him, and for some reason, he's just not getting it done. He needs to go out and pitch a 9 inning shutout. Maybe that would get him going.

confidence shaken? eased up a little on the intensity or his "anger management?" Hell, if the rest of them can play like shit, I guess he's allowed 1 every few go 'rounds.

Originally posted by eastside billee

He needs to go out and pitch a 9 inning shutout.

I think that's the only way he can win a game these days -- a complete game shutout. No mistakes from anyone on the team. No adversity whatever to overcome.

I'm starting to believe that Weaver's hard-assed, tough-guy game face is a big facade that he throws up to cover the fact that he's really not as tough as he wishes he were. How else to explain his complete loss of ability when actually challenged? The guy has great stuff, but then so does C.J. Nitkowski (or so I've been told).

I'm curious what you mean by his loss of ability when actually challenged? Are you refering to something in specific (ie his inability to win when his team doesn't score many runs for him, or his inability to get people out with runners in scoring position or his inability to recover from a defensive mistake)?

In watching Weaver the last four years, the onyl problem I see with him is that he doesn't strike enough people out for someone with his kind of velocity and movement. He reminds me of Justin Thompson in that regard. He has been worse this year, though, and I am hoping he is not trying to pitch through an injury.

I had a chance to go to the game yesterday and have watched him a couple of times already this year. He just can't finish people off! He will get ahead in the count and fail to finish them off in a reasonable amount of pitches. He had nearly a 100 pitches in the 5th inning! I think that is slowing him down drastically!!! I can't imagine him making it nine innings even if he is pitching a shutout with the amount of pitches he is pitching!

maybe he's just not that good. Not saying he's bad but maybe he's not an ace.

I hope it's not a case of a guy getting a contract and letting up.

I've been of the opinion that Weaver really isn't a very mentally strong ML pitcher for about a year now. And to this point he hasn't done anything to sway me from my opinion.

While he's off to a slow start, like I've been saying for quite awhile, I'd rather see Sparks on the mound when I go to a game than Weaver.

I think it very well could be an injury, earlier this spring remember he was complaining of a dead arm. He has yet to look crisp in any game and he has racked up a lot of ininngs the last few years. The last thing it is, is letting up intensity because of a contract, Jeff is will always be intense.

He isn't really throwing his fastball well at all. He doesn't have a lot of bite on his breaking pitches also. Maybe he needs to ditch that damn changeup of his that has always gotten him into trouble, and concentrate on what has gotten him this far.

qsilvr-- What I mean by a complete loss of ability when challenged is this: when is the last time he's worked out of a jam? Not a jam due to his team not scoring runs, but as a result of Weaver giving up too many hits. Ever since the Sweeney incident Weaver has been a choke artist too often when put in a position where he has to get an out. Last game's 6th inning is a perfect example. The game before that you could see him getting pissed at the ump when he didn't get a couple of strike calls he felt he deserved, and a few batters later, he was out of the game. I agree with those who think that Weaver is a good pitcher, but not very mentally tough at the moment. That's what I mean.

Someone who's thrown that many pitches by the sixth inning has one of two things going on:

Doesn't have control of his stuff.

Has control, but is AFRAID to throw it.

You'd better hope it's a matter of not having the control right now, but working on it, and not the " I'm afraid to throw the fastball to him ".

A pitcher who tries to nibble instead of challenging the hitter with his best pitch has lost confidence in using that pitch.

Maybe he is injured? and that's why he won't challenge?

jeff is a good pitcher....his problem is: when his teammates or him make a mistake he can't control his pitches due to being too angry. jeff gets exceptionally emotional while he's on the mound. he is doing better at controlling his emotions than he was last year. hopefully he calms down a little while on the mound so he can finish a game. i'm sure that he will, sooner rather than later

Weaver has logged a ton of innings in the last three seasons for a young pitcher...maybe it is starting to catch up with him. Sparks is the master of slithering out of tough jams, and that is something Weaver simply hasn't mastered yet. I don't think he's comfortable on the mound when there are runners on base. Maybe he doesn't like pitching from the stretch?

Sparks has the advantage of being a Knuckleballer. It is tough to hit a knuckleball hard, and those type of pitchers are the only ones that show a consistent ability to prevent hits on balls in play.

Pitching out of jams is probably not a skill. Weaver isn't a groundball pitcher (which makes it easier to pitch out of jams) and he doesn't K enough people (which also makes it easier). BA on balls in play is almost exactly the same for every pitcher, and is more a function of team defense than it is anything the pitcher can do. There isn't much of a difference between Randy Johnson and most other pitchers if the ball is hit into fair territory. This year, Weaver has gotten into to many jams. You can say he doesn't pitch out of them well, but the fact is 32 hits in 23 innings, and a 9/8 K/BB ratio is terrible.

Weaver hasnt pitched well at all this year. He has more hits than innings pitched and the Tigers have scored runs for him this year. Maybe it is that new big contract he signed...Oh well I think he is only 25 and he will be a great pitcher this year. He doesnt throw that swingback pitch anymore. I wonder why? Weaver's ERA is still around 4.50 and he has had 4 badly pitched games and has allowed 0 homeruns. I think he will be around 3.40 ERA by all-star break.

Speaking of knuckle ballers,during the Sox game their announcer had what I thought was a fair idea.Have a coach who specializes in teaching the knuckle ball to pitchers in the minors.Specially concentrate on guys who don't have great stuff and otherwise may be of no future use to the organization.If you can come up with one or two success stories a year and save some guys who otherwise would be released it would be well worth it.Does anyone think Sparks would be even in baseball without the knuckle ball?

Weaver's ERA is still around 4.50 and he has had 4 badly pitched games and has allowed 0 homeruns.

I don't think I would say badly pitched games, although I expected more in the early going. But he certainly hasn't pitched like a number one thusfar.

I think the point about him not being able to finish batters is valid. He seems to allow a lot of hits on 0-2 and 1-2 counts. And I brought this up last year when he was getting hit hard and having trouble finishing hitters off, but he just might be tipping his pitches in some way that other teams might know about and the Tigers braintrust is too brainless to notice it. I've tried to notice something, but it's hard to tell on TV and I'm not exactly an expert.

Its is my opinion that Weaver will be a good pitcher once he becomes a real man, in other words, when he matures. As of now he is just a big spoiled child who gets pissed off when things dont go his way and instead of putting his nose to the grindstone, he sulks, mopes, and feels sorry for himself instead of just baring down and concentrating on getting the next guy out .

Originally posted by BlessYouBoys

Its is my opinion that Weaver will be a good pitcher once he becomes a real man, in other words, when he matures. As of now he is just a big spoiled child who gets pissed off when things dont go his way and instead of putting his nose to the grindstone, he sulks, mopes, and feels sorry for himself instead of just baring down and concentrating on getting the next guy out .

You're assuming he'll "grow out of it"...

I think it's part of him, and a bad trait for a pitcher.

Great defense behind Weaver tonight??? Where is the background twilight music to go along with that?

I think he may have just exorcised his demons. Weaver had pitched 7 complete games in his career before tonight and had lost every one of them!! His first complete game shutout win had to feel so good. Congratulations Jeff.