OldTimey

The Final, Last Ever, Randy Smith Thread

Exorcise your demons here. Get it out of the way and let's move on.

Randy shouldn't have signed Higginson to such a long deal.

1. He let Chris Gomez go!...Seriously, I think we should have hung onto Phil Nevin.

2. I know Randy didn't have a lot to work with ($), but he DID NOT do a good job of building a team that fit Comerica Park well.

We needed one fast, good-fielding CF to take care of that vast outfield.

And, one LEFT-handed power hitter for the shorter porch.

And LEFT-handed pitching. All we had, pretty much, was CJ.

3. Also, people say "Who knew __________ would turn out so good (i.e: Luis Gonzalez)?" My answer to that is, "It's his job to know". I eat, sleep and breathe my job, I'd expect the same from a MLB GM.

He didn't understand the value of a walk, both offensively and defensively. He loved tools but never got players with skills, and he overestimated the value of players based on spike years. He was one of the worst GM's in baseball.

He's gone. He never should've been hired in the first place. Not only that, HE'S GONE!!! YIPPEE!!!

Will this really be the last Randy Smith thread? I wouldn't bet on it.

A. This will NOT be the last Randy Smith thread. He will be back. Oh yes, he will be back.

B. Travis Fryman, I don't care how you do it, but you DO NOT LET HIM GO.

C. Juan Gone (the player), - why in the hell do you bring him in for the first year at the CoPa? That is NOT the type of player we needed. I said it then and I will say it now.

D. Gabe Kapler. Why?

Randy Smith not only sucked immensely and was totally incompetent at his job but he was a complete liar as well. How he could make the statement of "the fans will one day celebrate with the team that we assembled" with a straight face at his post-firing press conference is completely beyond me! He was an ass and a loser. He will never (I hope) work in baseball again unless it is in some toady capacity for his father.

Once he traded Fryman, as his first move(?), I knew we were in trouble. When he then signed Palmer for more than Fryman was asking, I knew he was a loser and a liar as well.

His remarks during the closing came at Tiger Stadium are classic:

"I just realized we have a lot of tradition."

No sh*t? Really? Just found that out?

F*ck you Randy and the horse you rode in on!

I remeber that when Randy came aboard he was considered this

young, talented GM with great new ideas and nothing but future ahead of him.

Boy were we suckered in that time.

Also, TigerCap -- #3 -- RIGHTON! You said it best.

This kind of sounds like a country song...

Randy broke my heart and left town.

(Breaking my heart being of course getting rid of Fryman for Randa and also trading away Ausmus that last time)

Holy Goat

Rueban Sierra would be a star on this team today. he`s doing pretty well in Oakland right now. Word is that Smith wanted to deal Fick, Weaver, and a couple of prospects for Sierra. That`s why he finally got the boot. HaHa, just kidding.

snipersmilie.gif

Randy didn't "lie" by saying we'd be celebrating with this team to come. He realyl thought he drafted well. That's not a lie. Maybe incorrect, but not a lie.

Oblong,

I disagree. Randy's exact quote was "I believe they will celebrate with the players we've provided."

To me, that is a lie. I take the word "provided" to mean the players that were on the team on April 9th, 2002 - the day Randy was fired. Will one or two of the players that were on that April 9th, 2002 team someday be on a "winning" Tigers team - perhaps. Will the fans one day celebrate all the players that were April 9th, 2002 team - absolutely NOT. Thus, I take his statement to be a bald-face lie. Do I really care? No. Was it just semantics - probably. However, I felt it was a crass and pretentious statement by someone who was clueless and thought he could, once again, dupe the fans. :mad:

Well Ronz, I think what you have is a lack of understanding of things. You claim the Tigers twist things but you are doing a big-time twist job there buddy.

Ronz, all I said was that his wife was hot. Now granted, that was in 1997 or 1998 and she's squeezed out a few puppies since then but not muchcould't have changed.... :D

I think he was talking to me Oblong.

Anyway I think the mistake is that Ronz feels any untrue statement is a lie where I feel that a lie has a lot to do with intention.

Well, if you didn't like my "twisting" of Randy's earlier quote then how about this whopper from today's Detroit News Press.

Randy Smith:

"We probably needed to think in terms of 8 - 10 years for rebuilding."

Geez, why didn't he say 50 years?! In 50 years most teams will eventually build a winner - except maybe the Lions. ;)

Did he really think that he (or anyone!) would have been there (or anywhere!) for 8 - 10 years of rebuilding? Did he think that "Detroit Tigers General Manager" was some type of Government position? :P

The Pistons turned it around in one year with the second lowest payroll in the league!

Anyway, I didn't twist that first quote - he said that the fans will "celebrate with the players we've provided." "Provided" is past tense, meaning a winning combination is already on the field. Hell, Dombrowski himself said we aren't a championship caliber club! :D

Obviously everyone had a different interpretation of various comments, but I took "provide" to apply to any player currently in the Tiger organization. That includes Weaver, Anderson, Torres, Rivera, Higginson, and maybe some others at the ML level, and our farm system. I didn't take it to mean that he thought the current team was a championship-caliber club.

That's how I took it zach. I also still say that if he had drafted, signed and traded for certain guys in his mind they were good. So what he said is not a lie.

I would take it to mean the current roster, maybe the 40-man roster. You can't count on any of the Minor Leaguers to be stars or even make it since the majority of them will be washouts. Until they're actually in the Majors, you haven't provided a player to the Major League club. Randy's nose just grew a little longer, something his hot wife most likely will enjoy.